v1.4

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by Pantera, Feb 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darinth

Darinth Commander

Height seems to have an impact... But even that is inconsistent. I've gone all the way up to the ceiling and gotten out to watch the ship continue to sink, but it will typically stop eventually before it hits the ground.

2. bluemax151

bluemax151 Captain

THANK YOU! This helped me narrow down the issue with SV consistency. It's a 100% reproducible as long as the SV is low enough. Structures impact this even if you don't appear to be directly over them.

3. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I checked out your short video. It's weird, for me - with the one exception being when I'm falling after jumping - weather effects did not come through a Base or CV ceiling. Nor did they come through the roof of a cave. Buildings, CV's and Caves seemed basically weather-tight and I didn't get damaged by hail etc. when inside.

There is a degree of fuzz when it comes to the sheltered / not sheltered state though. I was in a wrecked CV the other days during Hail, and I had to be several block (under cover) into the CV (actually a BA technically) before I was sheltered from the damage effects. Visuals were not clipping through the model.

I was always impressed how Empyrion's weather effects were generally blocked correctly. Sure, the rain / snow etc. visuals would sometimes clip through, but only if I was falling after jumping or going down stairs quickly. It was purely visual too, I'd not take damage when the effects clipped through.

Something has changed. Weather visuals while underground in a cave didn't used to be a constant as they are now. Perhaps it depends how deep I am underground? There's a mountain above me this time yet, despite my being underground, I'm technically at ground level or there abouts according to the altimeter - I drilled horizontally into the base of said mountain, I did not dig down.

Scoob.

imlarry425 likes this.
  4. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

Yeah, I think it is better but honestly, they could have fixed rain and snow visual effects and then had them regress back in and I probably wouldn't have registered the fix so it could be a fresh yet familiar situation.

Is there a specific set of custom game/card video settings you run with or are you on a preset? I know that if we mine out under a Z base to sap it hasn't been uncommon to see driving rain but then again I haven't been expecting it to not rain- it's only the deadly hail and acid rain that gives you incentive not to ignore the weather. I live in WA so ignoring rain is a common adaptation along with growing moss on your Northside and the webbing between your digits. :)

I'd assumed they were somehow overloading what was under your feet as opposed to over your head as "undercover" for the purpose of weather-induced damage and that it was different than the weather visual effects. This is an auto-miner station on an almost always bad weather planet my Colleen and I teleport to for erestrum, sathium, and neodymium ... I ended up putting the carbon blocks in so I could walk over to the completely enclosed auto-miner to empty it without seeing flashes of blood from acid rain hitting the roof; couldn't see it but sure could feel it.

upload_2021-2-12_7-50-13.png

5. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

My settings are a mixed bag. Most things at their highest level, except for:

Bloom OFF
    SSR OFF
    Tre Quality MEDIUM
    Shadow Quality LOW
    Sky Reflections Quality OFF
    DoF OFF

All at 1920 x 1200, running exclusive fullscreen with a FoV of 90. GTX 1070...would like to upgrade, but... *sigh*

Not actually played with the settings in a while, so they've been unchanged since before v1.0. as far as I remember.

Scoob.

6. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

It is raining inside my CV. And I didn't have time to hire a janitor to mop it up.

RE1.4_2021-02-13_00-00-59.png
    Little bit hard to capture but you can see the drips on the floor.
    The rain is penetrating 2 layers of blocks with 2 block high gap in between.

B: 3261

7. HurtfulPlayer97

HurtfulPlayer97 Commander

This behavior has been around for at least 2 years. Ships hover in SP. Ships drop in MP.

ravien_ff likes this.
  8. Autumnf0x

Autumnf0x Ensign

Surprisingly or not, even here it’s increasingly difficult for me to motivate myself to ask questions. When again and again, instead of answering, you get silence on a seemingly simple question, and instead empty likes ...
    But yes, I completely agree that an elementary "roof over our head" should have at least some significance for weather conditions, in addition to shelter from bullets and missiles - which is absolutely not observed in the game now. This is especially surprising when meteors hit me even when I am in a cave or under the bottom of a capital ship.
    And I also think that things like meteor rain or some similar should damage (at least over time), at least not the armored parts of ships or buildings, if they are not protected by an energy shield...
    However, it seems that many of the above are not possible, because it is beyond the capabilities of the game engine and/or computer performance.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  9. bluemax151

bluemax151 Captain

This is why I asked if it was a feature or a bug. I had a gut feeling it was a known issue. I try to read the forums when I have time and I watch quite a few streamers who play MP but I can't recall ever noticing this prior. My post in the BUG section hasn't been hit with "not a bug" yet...

stanley bourdon likes this.
  10. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Now that SV has turrets, in multiplayer it means some wise guy can get close to an enemy base with a basic rig with turrets, position it high enough then jump out and let the thing do the job while the player can go spawn another one elsewhere. That may be why SV might not be allowed to stay in the air when no one is inside, but I may be overthinking this...

11. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

It also happens in SP, especially annoying if you're maneuvering your SV out of an CV hanger which it barely fits through.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  12. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

Back when I played SP it did it there as well just not as often. With enough attempts, it is usually possible to get an SV to stay hovering. Sometimes it is a lot of attempts.

Kassonnade likes this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Captain

I'm sure someone could also make a CV with lots of small SV's docked to it, fly over a POI and then get into each SV and then jump out and get to the next SV, so the SV falls slowly to the ground. Just repeat the process to distract the POI's turrets.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing that SV's drop if you are not inside.
    I like them to hover because if there is a POI under the water you can hover at water level and stand on your ship while using your drone to loot the POI. Also good for the POI that has a loot container at the top(forgot it's name), where you can hover your SV next to the container and loot it.
    On the other hand there has been instances where people have got out of their ship, too high up of the ground and then they have had difficulty getting back in. Now the ship would fall to the ground, so not a problem.

bluemax151 and Kassonnade like this.
  14. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I think we can make them hover by pressing CTRL+jump at the same time, very briefly so not to set the cruise control to more than 1 very tiny bar. It may also depend on a thrust/mass ratio, but this needs testing.

15. bluemax151

bluemax151 Captain

This is a separate issue and from what I understand "not a bug". I read somewhere that a vehicle does this because it's in "docking mode". When you are above a structure you can dock to the vehicle will slowly descend. That was added some time after Alpha 10? What I'm experiencing is different. The HV will immediately and rapidly descend and the SV will descend slowly and jitter the whole time like it is trying to stay aloft. You can watch my videos in my bug report for reference.

I use my SV as a platform for some of the same things which is why I noticed. I'll hover above a submerged tank to loot it for instance.

Your second point is why I asked if maybe this was a new "feature".

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    stanley bourdon and Spoon like this.
  16. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

Fun, that's the same card C & I have and wishlisting an RTX for bday or Christmas. FYI GEFORCE Experience just added Empyrion to its list of known game optimized settings which are (I think) dev suggested for the card.

17. imlarry425

imlarry425 Captain

I was gonna like your post but having second thoughts! ;)

Feel free to send a PM if you hit a wall- if all you get are likes it may be you hit a common "arrrggg" sort of thing and it's an "I hear ya brother" sort of moment.

Alhira_K likes this.
  18. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

To be fair, FPS-wise, the game runs pretty well these days. The things that used to cause a slight slow-down on my old PC (2600k + the same 1070) were those areas heavily populated with POL POI's. With the 3900X and 1070, those areas don't cause any slow downs any more. Perhaps I should tinker with the settings and see how I get on.

Scoob.

19. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

From what i am seeing most regular forum dwellers are using the like button more like its used on reddit than on facebook. A general "I agree/have the same problem/would like to know too/hey devs, that's an age old problem, pls fix" button of some sorts.

Imo the better way anyway as 3 "likes" are easier to see and don't clutter up the thread as much as 3 different posts with "I agree".

Light is still one of the biggest problems, at least from my experience. I do hope that now that they fixed the "bleeding damage" with which you could destroy for example cores through the spot where two blocks connect something similar could be used for the lighting in this game.

Kassonnade likes this.
  20. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Back to an earlier point about weather effects passing through terrain, several people posted how it goes through their CV's too. I just built a CV in 1.4 and, as previously, weather effects are not penetrating it at all....yet it continues to snow in my Base's cave in uncovered (with blocks) areas.

@Alhira_K - yes, lighting can be quite heavy on the GPU. I know they tweaked it some time back which, oddly, made the lighting worse for certain settings and also lowered the FPS when using said settings. I used to be able to run (just about) on the High setting, which largely eliminated light bleeding through blocks. After the changes that setting gave too much of an FPS hit for me, plus it no longer reduced light bleeding.

I look forward to a time when a room will be dark if there's no light source, rather than just as bright as the current outside light level. Plus of course, getting rid of that light bleeding. It's quite jarring to pop a light on one side of a wall and have it fully illuminate the other side of the wall too.

A minor niggle in the scheme of things sure, but it would be nice to see improved lighting one day.

Scoob.

cmguardia, Alhira_K and Kassonnade like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.