v1.4

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by Pantera, Feb 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronco40

Bronco40 Lieutenant

Can we get an update on a Hotfix for the ships disappearing from us ? I am not talking about slowly flying away . I am talking a whole system not working when you go to an astroid that shows on the map . Get out of your cockpit and the ship warps to the other side of the system you are in 25 KM away . Relog and boom the astroid is there . And you have to jetpack to your ship . It randomly happens on planets too . Fly around the planet for 5 mins get out to explore .... POOF your ship disappears . Look at the map it is floating at the entry point of the planet . There are reports on all servers . Its random . Doesnt happen all the time . Can we get an ETA on the fix ??

2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Rain is a special effect on the player's camera, it's not something happening "for real" in a playfield. It has to be related to airtight environments, and not to block's positions. If the special effect is still playing when the player is in a "sheltered environment" it's most probably a problem like the constructors forgetting they still have to work even if we don't look at them...

Germanicus likes this.
  3. Autumnf0x

Autumnf0x Ensign

Is the meteor rain damaging in a cave or under a ship the same thing?

stanley bourdon likes this.
  4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

<removed>

=============================================================

But since we're on the "falling rocks" topic :

I know it may be boring to watch, so I made a specific playfield to watch meteorites fall (in great numbers). I did not get the damn "meteor shower" to work but I'll check this another time.

For the "regular" meteorites : once on the ground, they appear "transparent" :

NewGame_45_2021-02-15_23-23-58.png

I checked them all, and they all had the same problem.

NewGame_45_2021-02-15_23-26-49.png

Now I don't know if it's related to being on a custom playfield, but I can reproduce this easily. If no one else saw that, I will not file a bug report and will just consider my custom scenario to have a problem...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2021
    Ephoie likes this.
  5. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Meteors have been partially transparent - giving a ghost-like image - when viewed from certain angles for a while now. If I'm in first person, say using a hand drill to mine them they appear solid. However, when using third-person view - which I often do if Mining using an HV - then this becomes quite obvious, especially when moving the camera view to a low angle.

Like in your screen shot, I've observed meteors being translucent when there's terrain behind them from my camera viewpoint, but potentially totally invisible when there's just sky behind them, I've not had any trouble interacting (aka mining) with them, so they're a solid object still in that sense.

Another oddity of Meteors I've noticed is that they appear to have gained a tendency to impact underground. One I mined last night was about 50% in the terrain, which is fairly normal, while another was about 30 or so metres underneath a small hill in the terrain. It was like the meteor impacted at the base height of ground level, not the actual terrain level of the hill. This would have been cool if the impact left a hole...

Scoob.

6. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Ephoie likes this.
  7. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

I've somewhere already read about this issue but i am not sure where else to put it and i guess its not even a bug really atm.
    Vessels stuck in POIs and asteroids are getting a bit annoying. Dealing with the tilt while in a space station isn't really an issue but having to glitch out my CV from one of these is a tiny bit frustrating. And yes, those are two vessels stuck on the station. The drone didn't move either, not sure why.

RE_1.4.1_2021-02-17_05-18-51.png

8. Khaleg

Khaleg Commander

I have observed this too, but it is not related to the 1.4 version, it was happening already with the latest one in the 1.3 branch, at least in my case.

9. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

@Alhira_K - I've seen a lot of this too recently. It's amusing when an AI-controlled CV runs into an asteroid and gets stuck, considering the VAST amounts of empty space everywhere except where that asteroid it lol. I want to ultimately see CV's (and SV's and even HV's) roamin around planets under AI control, but the navigation logic isn't quite up to that yet lol.

@Khaleg - I rarely trigger asteroids when playing, however, my current game saw me particularly short of a few resources - just one or two deposits - which I mined out and, thankfully, the playfield has meteorites enabled for that resource upon depletion. I'd never actually seen a meteorite land deep under ground level before this, having them usually land just fine on the side of hills etc. Though it was rare I'd see them at all, as mentioned. Have been quite surprised how many planets have resource meteorite enabled in Reforged Galaxy.

Scoob.

Alhira_K likes this.
  10. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

No it's not. Do you want to know more ?

Ephoie, Hummel-o-War and Germanicus like this.
  11. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

Yes, I want to know more. Why does acid rain, fire meteors, or hail, damage my character if I am standing on the ground but covered by several "solid" blocks or several meters of solid rock. But sometimes if standing on a block with nothing over my head My character takes no damage?

Ephoie likes this.
  12. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

lol... That's not the same question! I can explain the difference between simple "rain" which does no damage, and environmental effects that do damage, but I think anyone can see the difference right there in the question : damage vs no damage.

What you describe is very contextual, as it can be a problem with airtightness nor working right (so blocks are not relevant) while rain is just a visual effect with no "buff/ debuff" attached to it. Meteor showers may count something like 20-30 objects, while rain would be a million particles, and that's why it can't be made "for real" as a particle effect for a whole area (player can see hundreds of meters) : this would bring the FPS down to a single digit number.

Germanicus likes this.
  13. Autumnf0x

Autumnf0x Ensign

Thanks a lot, but for some reason I don't want to. ^^

runlykhel likes this.
  14. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Too late : now you know more.

Ephoie and Germanicus like this.
  15. cmguardia

cmguardia Captain

I have noticed several of the errors discussed in these last pages ... And I want to add two more.
    One is a variant of the soil that disappears. In this case he was making a hole around a base in the Base Attack game. What I removed from land became land without fill.
    Nueva Partida_5_2021-02-15_23-12-18.png
    The other mistake left me like :eek::eek:o_Oo_O. My CV "jumping" from the ground up to 200m to the sky over and over again !!!! Too bad I don't have a video! He stopped after about 15 jumps ... at least that I could count. I left it behind a low mountain so I could attack a POI. I went back to look for ammunition and ... there it was, jumping on the spot !!!:confused:
    I could only take pictures !!
    Nueva Partida_3_2021-02-12_01-56-12.png Nueva Partida_3_2021-02-12_01-56-14.png Nueva Partida_3_2021-02-12_01-56-15.png Nueva Partida_3_2021-02-12_01-56-16.png Nueva Partida_3_2021-02-12_01-56-17.png Nueva Partida_3_2021-02-12_01-56-19.png

He notado varios de los errores hablados en estas últimas páginas... Y quiero agregar dos más.
    Uno es una variante del suelo que desaparece. En este caso estaba haciendo un pozo alrededor de una base en el juego de Ataque a la base. Lo que yo quitaba de terreno se volvía un terreno sin relleno.
    El otro error me dejó como :eek::eek:o_Oo_O. Mi CV "saltando" desde el suelo hasta 200m al cielo una y otra vez!!!! Lástima no tengo un video! Dejó de hacerlo luego de unos 15 saltos... por lo menos que yo pudiera contar. Lo dejé tras una montaña baja para poder atacar un PDI a pie. Volví a buscar munición y... allí estaba saltando en el lugar!!!:confused:
    Solo pude tomar imágenes!!!

16. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Hi,

Is anyone else experiencing issues with HV's? All was going well, with me building my usual really basic starter HV which consists of storage and a Constructor. As I travelled around and looted things I built this HV up just to have more storage via a Controler and Extendors. Nothing unusual. However, once the cargo weight of this HV hit about 28 Tonnes, it basically broke. It had ample lift capacity and would rise but just fine, however it would constantly bounce one end, often enough to flip the entire HV on its back. This issue goes away entirely if I remove some of the cargo, taking it to back under 28 Tonnes.

With this in mind, assuming this was some bug related to the HV nearing being overload for its lift capacity, I added extra Hover Engines. This makes no difference at all. I've gone as far as adding LOTS of Hover Engines - ten in total, overkill for such a basic vessel, usually - and I've even given it the T2 version which massively increases lift capacity but the issue persists.

One really weird thing is the HV's Statistic Panel. Opening this while the issue is happening sees the Roll / Pitch / Yaw values constantly changing, in time with the bouncing - bouncing that occurs 1-2 times a second.

The HV can be on any terrain and this occurs, even perfectly flat water. It impacts the HV's ability to hit its rated top speed and makes it generally a nightmare to use as it might randomly flip. Also, getting out of the thing is often impossible as it never stops moving.

I've never had an issue quite like this before. It's definitely directly linked to the Cargo weight as the cause, but why it starts bouncing like it does is a mystery to me.

To be clear, this is a bog standard scratch-built early game HV carrying a very moderate cargo load of about 30 tonnes in total. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm running a Reforged Eden game, started fresh a day ago, so I cannot be 100% sure this isn't linked to the Reforged or Eden changes, but the authors of those projects don't seem to believe it is.

My game is basically broken at this point as I can barely use the HV that contains everything I have. It deciding to do a random back-flip while travelling over water is...inconvenient lol.

Note: it was suggested I try reducing the Roll /Pitch / Yaw sliders - the HV is quite twitchy with just one RCS - but this made zero difference.

Edit: If I do manage to exit the HV - I often have to use GM to do this - it stops bouncing immediately.

Edit 2: What seems to help is to remove the rear eight Hover Engines, extend a row of blocks backwards then place the Hover Engines there. While the cargo on this HV is slightly nearer the rear of the vessel, having extra rear Hover Engines would usually balance out any slight lean. I've done this loads of times on pretty much all my starting HV's. However, currently something is wrong as doing things the "normal" way, causes this bug. Whereas moving those rear Hover Engines far behind the rear of the vessel helps. It's like the vessel has a natural tendency to lean back slightly as it become loaded, which is perfectly normal, but the vessel gets stuck trying to correct its self constantly, which isn't at all normal. This leads to the bouncing which gets more and more pronounced until it flips. My revised design helps, but it certainly shouldn't be needed.

Scoob.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  17. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Did you try your same HV in a vanilla game, on a similar playfield ? I'm curious to see your HV, but I don't play reforged nor PE.

18. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I really should do that, shouldn't I? I've not really experienced significantly different HV performance with the Reforged Changes before, outside of any weight / CPU / Power generation type stuff. The basic hover flight mechanics seemed unchanged, i.e. vanilla levels of quirky, not this quirky lol. It's curious that my changes - which effectively just lengthen the "wheel base" so to speak - largely eliminates the issue. I'm all for cheap, compact HV's during the early-game, but it looks like that the cargo weight distribution causes things to freak out on my regular design, whereas the longer design is more stable. Of course this makes sense from a logical perspective, pop the rear Hover Engines back a bit for better weight distribution. However, it's the HV's extreme reaction to less than ideal weight distribution that's odd.

I'll try to do some more testing when I get a moment.

Scoob.

Kassonnade likes this.
  19. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

There was also a problem with center of gravity been offset on most (if not all) of the SV/HV cockpits that was underlined by players recently.

Many issues can be a compound of smaller ones, so it's not often a case of pinpointing just +mass or shape (aerodynamics/ atmo density) or one faulty device. Could be something totally unrelated like at what point of the "update" in the game loop the player controller is fetched vs at what time of the loop (physics/ simulation loop) other factors are checked.

There is this cute chart showing in a very schematic way how the game processes different things at different moments (from the Unity manual and on various game dev sites) :

game_steps.jpeg

The part that is of interest here is the one included between the green and red "steps".

20. cmguardia

cmguardia Captain

Yes!!! I forgot about that problem too !! The rotation in my case is always to the right side. The terrain doesn't matter, but it does it at full HV speed.

Si!!! Me olvide de ese problema también!! La rotación en mi caso es siempre hacia el costado derecho. No importa el terreno, pero lo hace a velocidad máxima del HV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.