v1.8 Experimental I

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Pantera, May 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I was actually thinking about this comment earlier today and wondering the same thing. I discovered this game when it was at it's bare bones.

But, kinda fun, as a result of one of the new tutorials, I just found myself using the logistics system to expedite looting:

20220518194641_1.jpg

and that is after I watched Spanj, Jrandal, and X all do it on youtube.

So I have now adjusted my opinion on the matter; these new tutorials are a good thing(the one that I am referencing is the one concerning looting,) and may actually turn out to be a bright point for the game.

2. ASTIC

ASTIC Captain

• It would be totally awesome if you could put a few days of development time into fixing the API bugs.
    • If there is still an access to the constructor, many players would celebrate you.
    • The icing on the cake would be a "computer console" with a simple text field without display or formatting which takes about 10k text and is accessible via API.

OreO and Shadowpheonix like this.
  3. sumatrandagross

sumatrandagross Ensign

Yes I know that. But I tried to put myself in the shoes of a new player and I personally liked the start I had back then much better. I wasn't flooded with information, but had to find out for myself how the game works. When i'm overwhelmed with text and information in a new game, it scares me off very quickly and i lose interest. It's my personal opinion, but I liked the earlier start much better!

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  4. sumatrandagross

sumatrandagross Ensign

I have to say that's one of the things I don't like either, the plundering via the logistic system is extremely unrealistic and annoying. Why is such a system introduced if it can be undone and bypassed like that?

I've also been there since the launch on steam and found the bare start really cool. Nobody told you what and how to do anything and it took me hours to launch my first spaceship. But now you get everything served on a silver plate and everything seems so easy. I actually liked the previous start a lot better where you got things explained inside the stoty.

5. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Lucky me...:NewStuckoutTongue:
    Rad-Test 6_2022-05-19_21-11-03.png

6. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Yeah, you are not wrong, I still have not taken to the whole Mass + volume thing(even with the new tutorials.) It makes the game into a game by menu. However, *some* help via menus is okay, and the looting is something we all love in survival games - cubes in minecraft, parts and ore in Subnautica, etc. I am confident that I can transport myself into the shoes of at least a few new players and I bet this will increase the interest in the game.

Just my 2 cents though.

7. Foofaspoon

Foofaspoon Commander

Overall really liking the changes to the world generation, story and PDA. Think the in game tutorial is a big improvement now! Noticed a few other things not in the notes - falling damage is now.... deadly. Used to be able to jump out of a ship at the top of the atmosphere and survive the fall. Don't think I'll be able to do that now.

My only gripe so far with the new deco is it makes HV travel even harder - I spend half my time bouncing off the millions of small trees etc in some places. However, that could just be my bad driving....

TK85 and Germanicus like this.
  8. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    The 'bouncing' of the HV on small trees or plants is currently looked into. ;)

@sumatrandagross If you are a NEW player you can still chose to NOT have the tutorial. At least you are not hindered to to so. ;) (In EXP 2 all the now default-active tutorial hints that pop up even when you decline the tutorial, will then be deactivated. The current setting is for getting feedback on their contents )

TK85 and Foofaspoon like this.
  9. KnowItAllDM

KnowItAllDM Commander

With the ability to equip light armor without an armor locker, it would be nice to get a PDA action option:

ArmorEquipped to check if a player has a certain armor equipped.

ravien_ff likes this.
  10. byo13

byo13 Captain

Hey, guys.
    I'm experiencing something odd with the terrain in Akua.
    Beneath the grass I found holes in the ground that will have my character sink below terrain and then be teleported above the ground.
    Has anyone experienced that? I found a few spots in the same open area and was about to file a bug report.
    Then after reloading the saved game to capture my character's position the hole was gone.

upload_2022-5-21_1-51-54.png

TK85 likes this.
  11. Kats

Kats Lieutenant

It is a bug not that rare. I have seen it several time already in previous version. I have even found 1 big enough to enter the infinite fall loop.

12. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Just went to check the picture posted by @byo13 to see if it's the same issue I get from time to time (not exclusive to this beta) but get the message:

Empyrion – Galactic Survival - Community Forums - Error
    You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

Is this a problem my end (account issue) or something else?

A Mueller likes this.
  13. TwitchyJ

TwitchyJ Commander

Is not just you, devs have been changing permissions on the forum. I can't view their picture either and get the same message.

Likely to do with them restricting us from seeing attachments anymore.
    Is supposed to only be in bug reports, but something likely got messed up with many different parts of the forum.

TK85 likes this.
  14. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Ah, of course. I recall reading something re: not allowing us to see each others uploads (for privacy) in the Bug Reporting forums, I guess that extends to any uploads to the forums. I personally use Google Drive, so the perms are as I set them.

15. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Btw: I'm sure it's been noticed, but the free SV that can be found - I've gotten two thus far - has something odd about it. First, the marker for it shows well below the actual vessel and it acts like the centre of model is way below it too. For example, it freaks out for a moment whenever touching down, skidding left or right as if there's something in the way. However, the most obvious way to see this is as follows:

Fly a few metres - 20 or so will be fine - above the ground.
    Press O to ensure level.
    Use Q or E to roll to say 45 degrees.
    Press O again to level.
    Observe of the craft rotates around a point far below it to level out, rather than a regular corrective roll as if Q or E were pressed.

Other than this, the vessel flies largely fine, though it's a MAJOR early-game leg-up on the tech tree. I was literally able to go into space very quickly after starting a fresh game, if I'd so desired, due to finding one of these.

16. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I've now definitely experienced this. There is a hole, but it's not a visible tear in the terrain like I've experienced previously. I'd not experienced it currently this session, but just fell through the landscape - no visible hole - when wandering near my base just now. Thankfully, I was reset to above the terrain rather than plummeting to my death as used to occur with the visible tear issue.

What just happened to me though shows that this doesn't just impact the player character. I just placed a CV starter block* and of course it just hovered, suspended for a short while before falling. However, this time it just fell through the terrain - again, no visible hole - then reset to above the terrain a moment later, only to fall again. I saved - while the block was above the terrain - and then reloaded this save. Once again, the block was suspended, but it did eventually fall / loop again. This is not where I previously fell through the terrain myself.

* Not an actual CV starter block, rather a CV Template I saved of just one block, for ease of CV building. It's basically just a single Steel Block, but was taken from a CV Starter Block with one block added then the Core removed before it was Templated.

Here Is a link to that saved (7z) load it and wait a moment for the block to fall. I'm going to try adding another block to it quickly after loading, to see if the whole lot falls, or if it's a small (invisible) hole in the landscape.

Edit: adding more blocks preventing the fledgeling CV falling through the ground.

byo13 likes this.
  17. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Yes, I find those holes since A8.xxxx
    Today its on Scillion near the crash site
    One way is to relog or use the Survival Tool and drill the surface edge of the hole. Than it closes.

TK85 and byo13 like this.
  18. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

These seem different to the holes I used to encounter in prior versions. Those happened (generally) after a longer play session and were literally chunks of ground that were not rendered, so could been seen quite clearly from ground level and especially when flying. The issue in v1.8 Exp I is not like that, there's been no visual holes so far for me. The underlying terrain textures are there, as are any grass, plants, rocks etc. - the terrain looks just fine. The hole appears to be quite small, about the size of a Large block - hence that block of mine dropping through the ground until I added more blocks.

Also a key factor of this issue is that relogging does NOT fix the invisible hole, as shown in my save. I've not tried the drill trick...will test that next time it manifests, I just carried on playing last night in the end, not wanting to focus on testing too much.

byo13 likes this.
  19. byo13

byo13 Captain

Indeed. At the first time it happened, I tried my drill tool on that spot and it worked, leaving a crater but with a closed ground.

As it did to me. Previously, like you mention, I could see bigger chunks of ground missing with no grass on top.
    In v1.8 though, I see small holes, squared sized, sometimes strips of ground but with grass, so it's hard to see them.
    After it happened and I reloaded the saved game, I haven't faced any other situation like that. In previous versions, the ground would be permanently fractured.

20. byo13

byo13 Captain

Guys, the Tales of The Past mission seems broken somehow.
    It keeps showing me "Checking - inventory..." on the right side of the HUD.
    If I manually checks it (and I'm kinda confused by all of the actions in the PDA that looks like debugging stuff / dummy items) it then shows "Kill spiders 0/4" which I already have done once I got to the tower the first time. I will keep checking them all on until I see a mission that is doable. Has anyone seen this happening?

[EDIT] I had to check all of the items from "Clear Area" to "Entry Room" because I've done them all but no messages appeared. What I recall is the chief handling me the mission, the tower being marked in my map and then the mark disappeared once I approached the tower. Then I did all of the mission - because I remembered how to from previous game sessions - while the mission stats remained with a "checking - inventory..." status.

[EDIT 2] It happened again. I was at the "speak to the chief" part of the mission, a "chief mark" would appear in my map and I was following it. Then suddenly (I don't know if it's related) opened my inventory to eat something. Then the map mark was gone and the mission status reverted to "inventory - checking..."

[EDIT 3] It keeps changing the current mission to the "Quest Field 4 Wild Corn (check)". I can't attach any image here but I need to keep checking both items of that mission "1. inventory..." and "2. item found" so I can get back to the Tales of The Past mission.

[EDIT 4] Also in the Crashed Bird mission, sanctuary item, the prisoner said his vessel was somewhere around with missing parts I got from the containers, but I couldn't find any HV or SV next to the wrecked ship and even in a larger radius from there.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.