Weapons

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Menos

Menos Commander

@[Ghetto]Two Shoe$: I am not exactly sure why a base needs a pilot or what a p-maneuver is or why any HV would need a gunner.

All it takes to destroy a base is to figure out where the enemy artillery is placed (if any) and then you park outside their range and start shooting. You can just set your own artillery to target turrets only and wait till the show is over, or if you want to you can aim manually. The only moment you actually need to evade is when you finally target the enemy artillery, but then it is sufficient to just move left and right a little without any complex strategy, because the enemy artillery will aim at the projected position you would be if you continued to drive.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Any ideas on how to Implement this in a way that avoids Major Lawsuits? :p (With that said, I am NOT adverse to having these dudes in the game.)

Also why can't we ever get a version of these dudes in MY fav Melee Weapon, Axes...? :(

Supercrab likes this.
  3. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

way to get around it is to say they're plasma swords or hardlight swords

Supercrab and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  4. Tyrax Lightning

*Snickers* Hardlight Swords... never heard that one before. :p

5. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

Cheap easy to build, and silent.. I could see a cross bow more then a bow...

6. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

7. Menos

Menos Commander

I like to have a silent crossbow in space, too. Can't even count anymore how many fights I lost because my opponent heard me firing at him.

8. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

though a laser should be silent to, with a vary flat trajectory, and no recoil, you should get a tighter group with a laser rifle then you can with an AR 15, as the only thing that would move your point of aim is your breath and heart beat. Now what I would like to see more then a crossbow, is being able to look down the iron sights of all weapons that dont have scopes, And maybe a cheep low rate of fire hunting rifle. and modifiable weapons, and maybe the ability to learn to make hot rounds

9. Tyrax Lightning

Oh... I hadn't learned that particular TVTrope before... many thanks for the Link! :D

I'm now very open to Hard Light Axes now... Swords can kiss my ass. :p (But to each their own.) This should seriously get stuck into a new Suggestions Thread! (Please include Customizable 'Light Color'!)

10. Supercrab

Supercrab Commander

hard light swords. pretty nice idea

11. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

If they do add hardlight/plasma/energy melee weapons they I think should have charges for them, limited amount of strikes per charge, cause those things while very powerful in cutting down enemies and melting through most materials would use a lot of energy.

12. Menos

Menos Commander

So again my question from above: what use are melee weapons in a game where you spent most of the time flying in a space ship?

13. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

Its a desperation move when your gun goes 'click' or to conserve ammo.

I don't see the need for true melee weapon but i believe you should be able to use your weapons in a melee fashion.

How about something from the 19th century with a future flare.

A Plasma/Vibro bayonet attached to the front of a long gun.
    This could be used as the default attack if your weapon is empty.
    It does more damage than a butt stoke.

Other options

Pistol = Pistol Whip
    Rifle/Shotgun = Butt Stroke or maybe a club/bat.

Interface / Game Mechanics
    Pull trigger of weapon
    • if it has ammo shoot
    • if it is out of ammo, attack in melee mode
    Reloads would be done manually.

Alternative.
    Add a Melee attack hot key

This would not make a good melee weapon, but as a desperation move it be great.

Ballard and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  14. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

This game is broken ! We can hear firearms in space !

Make it proper silent space so there is no need for bow / crossbow.

15. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

Cause some of us wanna just do this to enemies/aliens/creatures/ect
    https://imgur.com/oCpt1T9

16. Tyrax Lightning

Hunting, not wasting Ammo on weak stuff, just plain for fun, Space Gladiatorial Combat, beating the ever living hell outta a Enemy Player's stuff, so early in the game ya don't have a SV or a real Gun yet, the list goes on. Why NOT have Melee Weapons?

Plus Dungeon CrawlingPOI Inside Exploration is a thing & some of us don't Cheese It with a Cheater Mini-SV.

Link Broke. Site says that Vid Format not Supported. :(

17. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

Odd... could be that the vid is in mp4 format, firefox has issues with this due to the way the developers for the browser support certain things with the program. Suggest glancing at it with chrome or some other browser. Other alternative is to just type in search for Halo Gravity Hammer gif's and you'll totally get what I mean.

18. Tyrax Lightning

Ahh, I think it did indeed mention MP4... I didn't know Firefox didn't Support it, it's my Primary Browser, with Google Chrome as backup.

Edit: Tried it again to see if it did indeed say MP4 & now it works fine. Go figure...

19. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Add to this the very small radius of planets that make shooting long range weapons dangerous for ourselves...

Clod-1_2017-06-30_01-36-45.png

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    ei8htx, Morrigan and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  20. Morrigan

Morrigan Lieutenant

I have an issue with ammo, weapon damage, and resource to payoff.

As it stands, ammunition efficiency and costs are... Well, the best term I can think of is wonky. 15mm bullets are cheaper per round and deal more damage than 5.58mm rounds, both of which can be used on a CV's turrets (20 metal pieces and 8 magnesium per 100 5.58 vs 3 metal pieces and 5 magnesium per 100 for 15mm). This flies in the face of logic AND balance; especially since 5.58mm weapons can't damage hardened or combat steel blocks while 15mm ammo can.

Damage scaling vs resource costs are also an oddity. Laser weapons (Which aren't hitscan, so they're not lasers, their some kind of energy bolts, but that's another topic) and laser ammunition (Down, girl, don't get into it) are expensive, even ludicrously moreso in 6.x because of requiring laser kits (Not getting into THIS here either) have very little payoff for what the game demands of you to GET them. Their mediocre damage combine with frankly bad fire rates and expensive ammo makes them undesirable; I toss looted ones into the factory to serve as spare parts rather than use them on survival. Even when taking style into account, the only time I use them is out of boredom. There's little incentive to make us want to leave the 5.58mm and .50 weapons behind us.
    Case in point: A comparison between the T2 .50 pistol and the T2 Laser Pistol.

T2 Laser Pistol: 85 damage, 2.5x critical, 500m range, 150rpm (2.5 shots/second), 40 round mag, non crit DPS 212.5, crit DPS 531.25, reload 3 seconds.
    Build cost: Level 25, 3 metal components, 3 electronics, 2 advanced CPU, 1 power coil, 1 laser kit totaling 1.5 cobalt, 3.5 silicon, 1.5 iron, 2 neodymium, 2 Erestrum, 2 Zascosium: 6 refines, and 1 limited supply item.
    Cost/100 ammo: 8 metal pieces, 4 electronics, 4 promethium packs: .8 iron, 2 copper, 2 silicon, 4 promethium, 6.8 refines (counting the 8 metal pieces as .8 refine, 4 electronics costing 2 refines, 4 promethium packs costing 4 refines).

T2 pistol: 80 damage, 3x critical, 200m range, 400 rpm (6 2/3 shots/second) , 15 round mag, non crit DPS 533.6, crit DPS 1600.8, reload 2.1 seconds.
    Build cost: Level 10, 5 metal components, 1 pistol upgrade kit: 2.5 cobalt, 2.5 iron, 2.5 refines, 1 limited supply item.
    Cost/100 ammo: 20 metal pieces, 20 magnesium powder, 12 refines.

This is only one such an example; am I the only person here who sees the problem? The laser pistol has 2 advantages over the T2 pistol: Range (Irrelevant over any environment where you're going to be using a pistol) and reload speed (Very little can withstand the T2 pistol's 1600 dps long enough for you to run out of ammo). The disparity between the utility of the two weapons suffers even more horribly when you account for the fact that most of the time you'll be supplying the T2 pistol with ammo you loot off drones, which I literally accumulate faster than I expend. So despite the literal costs of those ammo when you make them for yourself, exactly WHEN do you really NEED to make .50 ammo?

Similar comparisons can be made between the laser rifle and the pulse rifle, where the higher front end damage of the laser rifle is completely negated by the pulse rifle's massive rate of fire. Then there's the complete ineffectiveness of any of the heavy weapons as they currently stand for damage output against hard and soft targets alike, pulse lasers in general, expensive and slow firing rail guns...

... I lost my train of thought. So where does this leave us?
    Well, there's a problem with: 1) higher tier weapon effectiveness compared to low tiers, 2) material and time investment compared to output, and 3) illogical resource costs for ammo between differing calibers of guns, especially when comparing sidearms to vehicle/ship/base mounted weaponry.

I've said my piece; make of it what you will. Hopefully, it will result in a buff to high end weapons that will make them worth building and using. Or a change to ammo costs to reflect the massive difference in output between mounted and wo/man portable weapons.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Repier, ei8htx and Tyrax Lightning like this.