Weapons

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Xakthos

Xakthos Ensign

Only complaints are the delay switching weapons and ability to see if you're having an effect. I was dead on with my sniper at long range but couldn't see effectively if shot was hitting or not. Perhaps some form of shot tracking indicator on the scopes.

2. grognon

grognon Lieutenant

One more thing, the distance range of enemy display is shorter than the sniper rifle zoom . When you zoom with your gun you cannot see any monster in this range so the zoom is unfortunately useless for now, until the display distance will be upgrad (I precise that I play with maximum video setting on my GTX970), sorry for my spell fault in english and I'm not pretty sure that my sentences are clear to point this problem .

3. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

Just figured I would give my opinion on weapon projectile types.

For ballistic/bullet guns, I would suggest that they use actual projectiles. It's probably just a placeholder, but currently the bullet weapons have no projectile and instantly hit their target. Perhaps take the current laser weapon projectile idea, make it move faster, and make it a line rather than a sphere (like a tracer round).

As for lasers weapons, I'd personally rather see an instant beam. Functions like the current bullet weapons, but with a visible beam. A bit like the laser weapons in Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the Advanced Rocket Launcher doesn't look much like a rocket launcher to me. It reminds me of a flamethrower personally. Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong.

4. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

I just had a little bit of a play around with the SV mounted weapons.

Unless I'm missing something, the Pulse Lasers seem incredibly underpowered. At least, in terms of destroying building blocks. Maybe they do bonus damage against creatures?

But pretty much every other weapon appeared to outclass their base destroying capability. The other slow firing weapons (rocket launcher and railgun) were able to take out several blocks at a time if aimed between blocks. Pulse Lasers took a couple of hits to remove one block. Gatling Guns took several hits, but since they fire so quickly, they still did better than Pulse Lasers.

I also noticed the Plasma Cannons were not available in Creative, only in Survival, so I didn't test those myself.

5. ObjectZero

ObjectZero Commander

The plasma cannons have a fire rate about the same as the lasers and do more damage. Two good shot will take out just about anything. BUt do bare in mind we're currently playing with what mostly going to be the weakest NPC's in the game. Other will most likely be put in later that are far stronger.

6. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

Something I just found out. Firing the Plasma Cannon at full speed in space (90 m/s) will cause the projectile to hit behind the weapon. I was taking my new ship into space to better access tricky area, fired the weapon to see what it looked like (first time ever) and ended up destroying the RCS which was behind it. I had a spare on me though, and even if not, I could have just reversed back into the planet.

EDIT: I will have to check if this 'hitting yourself' thing is unique to the Plasma Cannon, or affects any projectile SV weapon.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  7. Shadefang

Shadefang Ensign

The only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned here is to possibly increase the efficiency of the sniper ammo recipe.

8. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

Yeah, I'd like to see it craft in batches of 6 or 12, personally. If only because that's the magazine size of the basic weapon that uses it. It'd also be nice to have more weapons use the 12.7mm/.50cal round. It's got such great performance irl.

9. Shadefang

Shadefang Ensign

Huh, I could've sworn that it had a magazine of 5...
    In any case, the magazine and crafting mismatch doesn't bother me, what bothers me is that when comparing the basic sniper rifle to the assault rifle, the assault rifle does half the damage per shot but gets 5 times as many bullets for the same price. Throw on top the fact that they essentially have the same effective range and there's not much point in ever using the basic sniper.

Personally I'd double the recipe output (to 10) so the two are close to in balance for efficiency. The assault rifle would technically be more efficient, but only if you controlled your fire very well. Then make the pros and cons of the weapon be in its use, not it's resources. Make the sniper rifle more accurate, maybe with higher velocity bullets (depends on the engine), definitely with better optics. But it's much slower firing, has higher recoil, you can't zoom out as far on the optics, and it probably takes longer to reload.

10. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

I'd agree with you completely, but with one caveat: You're omitting the damage multiplier from headshots. This means each round from a sniper, if used properly does about 240 damage, whereas a headshot from an assault rifle tops out at 100 even. It doesn't bring costs completely in line, but when the range advantage works properly I think it'll be much closer to even in the cost/benefit analysis.

11. Astra

Astra Commander

And
    So while running to the crash site, to make ammo while being hunted by a beast, blood slashing all over my screen.... And dieing before the little constructor processing time was done cooking my ammo.......
    I totally agree! I need a Swiss army knife or something.
    And getting in the SV did not help, the beast continued to claw at me.
    *sighs*
    We need melee weapons. Or even punching the darn things would have made me feel better.

12. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

Can't disagree. With lasers and railguns on the horizon, with unmanned drones in combat, and pinpoint-accurate bombs and missiles...

People still take knives into combat. I can't see that ever changing.

13. Astra

Astra Commander

For opening rations, picking teeth and handy when out of ammo.

Yep.
    :)

14. JayCo

JayCo Commander

Astra really, picking teeth ????

15. Astra

Astra Commander

*grins* nahhhh, I can't even gety helmet off yet.

16. JayCo

JayCo Commander

I asked a while back but where are you from, since google earth denies your locations existence!!!!!!!!

Edit Astra I PM you to keep chitchat off the thread, Sorry all.

17. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

I would like to see some AOE/Splash weapons like Flamethrowers, Grenade launchers, Stun Grenades, Flash Bangs, wildlife repellent.

18. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

I'm rather curious about the possibility of net launchers or other methods to subdue creatures without killing them. Could be useful, could be pointless. I suppose it depends on whether or not we're intended to domesticate creatures further on.. (Though with milk and cheese in game, it seems like we should be able to eventually. Killing things to gather milk is very inefficient.)

19. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Non lethal weapons ftw!

May be also cool for multiplayer. There is no reason why stunning someone is less fun in a mp battle while raiding the base. Would make pirating more fun and adds a very unique game mechanic (no other space block survival game has)

20. RobDog

RobDog Commander

I find it difficult to hit targets when firing from my SV when moving. On projectile weapons I understand to a degree, but light/plasma based weapons should probably not arc when shot. So now when I attack an alien base or staton, I have come to a full stop, shoot, then move to dodge incoming fire.... I'm no physics expert so if this is like it would really be, I vote to go a different way as some of the "fun" factor is lost if we have to learn to anticipate the trailing arc of weapons fire...