Well, that's upsetting. (Come listen to Wanev vent his frustration)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wanev, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Wanev

Wanev Lieutenant

So my HD died a few weeks ago. Tried to fix it myself to no avail. There were several things on there that I needed and like an idiot, I didn't back anything up on a different drive. I figured I would bite the bullet and pay the (roughly) $800 for a data recovery service and chalk it up to an expensive lesson about backing up data.

Well, the word just came back: completely unrecoverable. Seriously? That thing was only 2 years old. They are at least going to refund $550.

Anyway, as far as EGS goes, in addition to my other stuff, I had about 8 or 10 POIs/OPVs on there in various stages of completion that I had yet to submit (my first set of submissions). All that work just... *POOF* gone.

Well, time to start over I suppose (I am saving files on 3 different drives now).

2. XLJedi

XLJedi Lieutenant

Ouch! ...that is painful.

3. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

I'd recommend investing in a good backup solution like Veeam or ShadowProtect.

4. Wanev

Wanev Lieutenant

I have auto backup set up on an external drive now and also save important files on a second drive now. Hopefully, saving in three places will protect against future problems.

I was able to roughly recreate a couple of the POIs. It went a lot faster since I had a pretty solid idea on what I wanted to do with them. A few more to go...

5. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Just keep an eye out for that miserable shyster, Murphy, and his cohorts at the firm of Dewey, Screwem and Howe ;-)

6. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

I. Waited until someone has a NAS box build on the specials, they sell them drive-less typically. Grab one and populate it with all your old drives - make that your first backup, then buy a 4TB drive , pop that in too for more reliability and make that your second copy of things. sorry your loss, damn. Hope you at least had screenshots? Build back better.