What are homing missle?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mirosya, Aug 3, 2020.

1. PickleJar

PickleJar Lieutenant

If you're not thrilled with the homing missiles, wait until you find out about the useless sack of crap that is: The Railgun

2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

What's wrong with them ?

3. PickleJar

PickleJar Lieutenant

Last time I bothered to use them, it took a ridiculous number of shots to cause any meaningful damage. Considering their damage value is reportedly so high, I was underwhelmed. Better to use rockets since there does exist a splash damage mechanic, but no penetration mechanic (to my knowledge).

They are my favorite scifi weapon bar none, and I was bummed out when they seemed like I was shooting essentially a longer range, slower firing gatling gun.

I had researched it a bit and saw some posts regarding steel blocks hardness rating nullifying most of the damage of the railgun. Which...is not how they're supposed to work. Railguns are supposed to penetrate. Do big damage in a small area. Instead they do small damage in a small area because most of it seems to be absorbed by the hardness.

If I'm wrong I'll stick them back on my ship, but like I said, I did in 12.3 and they were hot garbage.

johnietoth1967 and Kassonnade like this.
  4. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Yes, they removed the blast damage & radius (now at 0) and their "hit" dmg is only 400 points over the rocket, and fire rate is also 1.5 ( 2 for rockets) which doesn't compensate for the rocket's 1425 blast damage (3 blocks radius).

-rocket: dmg 2350 - r.o.f. 2 --- blast dmg 1425 - speed 185 (space 235) - range 425 (space 725)
    railgun: dmg 2780 - r.o.f. 1.5 - blast dmg 0 ----- speed 425 (space 525) - range 525 (space 850)

Railguns were my preferred SV weapons, so I guess I'll have to mod them up a bit because like you mention they lost a big part of their interest. I was playing more with pulse laser SV nowadays to test stuff with POI shields...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    SylenThunder and johnietoth1967 like this.
  5. SylenThunder

SylenThunder Captain

Yes same here. The Railgun used to be one of my primary SV weapon goals. I used plasma and homing rockets as secondary. Now mostly I lean towards the pulse laser, but have been using the homing rockets or plasma cannon as primary.

Kassonnade likes this.