What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Deadalready

Deadalready Lieutenant

@EternalHeathen look at Jrandal and Xcalibre's reveal of the MCR Leviathan, there are numerous, beautiful interior design ideas used in filling those interiors!

EternalHeathen likes this.
  2. Dragen3

Dragen3 Lieutenant

Definitely an option, although you could also pull the Switch across from the Glass that blocks the Core if you want to watch it explode.

3. TRX

TRX Commander

The midnight view from the Project Eden / Ultra Rogue PX-38 :) ... I'm a glutton for punishment and I think I'm getting eye strain :)
    20200802042636_1.jpg

This is my 2nd play thru ... 1st one lasted about 30 min when I got swarmed by arachnids, eight of them. Was able to kill 3, but after using all bandages, medicine, and what-not, I gave up :-(.

This go around I'm level 10 and have a HV with turrets so I'm surviving better :). Haven't built a permanent base yet, but the HV doubles as a miner so I'm thinking mountain cave. Once that's set up then I think it's time for the Zirax to leave this planet ... I know I want to REAL BAD ... LOL.

Robot Shark, malrose1, byo13 and 3 others like this.
  4. EternalHeathen

EternalHeathen Captain

Nuts, I didn't even think of skulking through those labyrinthian halls... I subscribed to it as soon as it hit the workshop.

Edit for afterthought: My computer might explode...

5. Bigtoad

Bigtoad Commander

Well, sure. I traced that circuit after I captured the base. I almost never pull those switches any more. I'd rather keep the base mostly intact so I can salvage it.

Kassonnade likes this.
  6. Dragen3

Dragen3 Lieutenant

That is fair, i just wanted to point out that was also am option if you wanted to watch the place explode.

Although i suppose it is kind of silly to do the PoI and then pull the lever knowing it will blow up.

If you already worked your way through the PoI then you might as well get maximum stuff back for your effort.

On the other hand being able to hit one of those Explosive Blocks with out clearing out the whole place could be a faster way, and probably more efficient way to blow the core.

Bigtoad and Kassonnade like this.
  7. Bigtoad

Bigtoad Commander

I have mixed feeling about the way switches get used in various POIs. I feel like I've been robbed when I pull a switch that I think will open a door and it blows up a bunch of stuff I want to salvage. Wouldn't a self-destruct device be very clearly marked in reality?

Also, so very many switches that do open doors will also summon sentry guns or other negative effects. When I'm not in the mood for that, I just shoot the switch off the wall and then blow the door down. I think that particular mechanism is overused. I'd prefer that the switches be mostly functionally useful while the negative effects be tied to other things like motion sensors.

byo13 and Kassonnade like this.
  8. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I totally agree. Seems the people who built these places didn't care much about their employees. And it's a very expensive "trap" if the whole building collapses with one random switch in a "normal" corridor. What species in its normal mindset would build a "working" base like that ?

byo13 and Bigtoad like this.
  9. Dragen3

Dragen3 Lieutenant

Self Destructs being clearly marked in reality would depend on the intentions of whomeever implements the Self Destruct.

I do not think their are many examples of Self-Destruct devices in reality but the two comparable items i know of are Dead Man Switches and Thermite Devices on some computers.

Neither of them are clearly marked since whomever installs or configures the device knows what it does and would usually prefer somebody not know exactly what it is should it fall into hands other then their own.

Both of those devices are usually used by people much more concerned about the harm that could be done to their cause if somebody else gains control of an item then making sure it is safe for others.

Not quite the same but when you plant a mine field or other passive defenses you do not advertise the exact abilities of them. You make sure you and your allies know about the dangers and try to keep anybody else from finding out before its too late.

10. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

So.....

This Happened:

upload_2020-8-2_12-42-15.png

cmguardia, Robot Shark and ion_storm like this.
  11. Dragen3

Dragen3 Lieutenant

Who said anything about a "Normal Mindset" when your talking about alien species.

That aside, your probably right about them not caring much about their employees.

Although its possible the species feel that if their employees are inept enough to lose control of their physical assets, or stupid enough to ignore the Safety briefings they probably would have regularly if the place was a "working location" then their society is better off without them in the gene pool.

Kassonnade likes this.
  12. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

upload_2020-8-2_12-45-49.png

cmguardia and ion_storm like this.
  13. tachyon

tachyon Commander

cmguardia and Kassonnade like this.
  14. Bigtoad

Bigtoad Commander

Self destruct switches aren't meant for the enemy. They're meant for the defender as a last ditch denial tactic. As such, they would tend to be very clearly marked and (in a real world setting) have multiple safety interlocks to minimize the chance of triggering them through mishap or ineptitude. If it was intended as a trap, it wouldn't be a switch, it would be some other device.

byo13 and Kassonnade like this.
  15. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Me ?

16. Dragen3

Dragen3 Lieutenant

Fair point. I probably should have said, why would one assume the occupants of the Points of Interest have a Normal Mindset?

Kassonnade likes this.
  17. Bigtoad

Bigtoad Commander

Talking to myself again...

Really, my main point in all of this is about the psychology of POI design. POI designers tend to overuse switches to inflict bad effects on players, so players tend to ignore or work around the switches. I like clever designs that involve puzzles, but when regular switches on the wall are usually a threat, that limits their utility in puzzles.

There was one POI in particular that I ran into in A10 where the base commander would initiate a self-destruct. That's a mechanism that makes a LOT more sense to me. Have an NPC pull the self-destruct switch, and potentially give the player a small window where they can prevent that if they are fast enough, or can reach the appropriate location without triggering an alarm. I don't think the NPC AI allows that level of control at the moment, though.

18. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

Uhh.... guys....
    Its getting worse!?
    upload_2020-8-2_13-16-33.png
    I think I am going to have a hard time riding this....
    upload_2020-8-2_13-18-20.png

19. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

"Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"
    upload_2020-8-2_13-20-21.png

20. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

Lets five this thing a shot.... upload_2020-8-2_13-23-13.png
    Surprisingly easy to pilot and control through the windshield....
    Not very comfortable i must say
    upload_2020-8-2_13-25-54.png
    upload_2020-8-2_13-29-14.png
    This is probably really bad for my back!
    upload_2020-8-2_13-32-59.png

Attached Files: