What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Looks nice, the last time I tried that it did not come out very well.

Fenris likes this.
  2. Arthmoor

Arthmoor Commander

VPanda, Don2k7, Robot Shark and 2 others like this.
  3. Brehon

Brehon Lieutenant

Today I built my first egroups, new classes, planet side spawn of them, and loot tables for it. Was able to get it going without a hitch, so just a wee bit jazzed.

Fenris, Germanicus and Robot Shark like this.
  4. Fenris

Fenris Commander

Well, enlarging a craft from an SV, to a CV, and then to a bigger CV is finally getting there :D I still want to do some tweaks here and there on the outside, but I think the exterior is pretty much done. The interior is still 95% empty at this point.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edit: Oh yeah, and I still have no clue what to name it lol.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  5. Fenris

Fenris Commander

Welp, time to spam more pics :D I just started playing Reforged Eden, which means most of my T2, T3, and T4 craft will not work correctly. And a lot of the ones that do, are not easy to upgrade or I've used them so much I wanted a change.

So I set my sights on a T2 flyer (T2 is pretty much a starter craft with just a bit of time and a trade or two) that would be easy to upgrade. I also wanted to be able to walk in it, have decent storage (a little over 21K in this case), a bit of defense, a med station, oxygen station, fridges, a constructor, and room for a shield and jump drive when resources allow. This one looks a bit chunky, but it's supposed to be a light hauler, so I think it fits. Don't know about the color though lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Between building new ships and playing RE, I'm never going to get my own scenario done lol. Building in RE is a lot of fun though, I can't just slap on thrusters, weapon, equipment, wrap a hull around it and call it done. I actually had to do a bit of planning to make it work, measuring thruster output vs cpu to see which ones I needed to get ok performance out of a "starter" craft. In vanilla, I could have just slapped on a bunch of small thrusters (to be replaced with T2's later) and called it a day. This ship, even though it's not huge, wouldn't have even taken off if I tried that in RE.

6. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

Just a short trip around the block (creative system)

NewGame_6-220401-0044_2022-04-03_13-37-23.png

Game looks nice, but ship control... still not good, lol.

Fractalite, ravien_ff, Fenris and 2 others like this.
  7. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Did a little more tweaking today, I have 3 variants now.
    Debating on names...

The original build is the ship in the rear.

20220403221400_1.jpg

Fractalite, Neal and Fenris like this.
  8. Fenris

Fenris Commander

Names are a pain for me to think of. Then I think of a cool name, and I'm like "Wait, does this ship deserve that name? What if I come up with a different ship that I like much more ... then the name is already gone." lol

Robot Shark likes this.
  9. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Something I've never seen before occurred today in my current Reforged Eden game...

I'm at the solid mid-game stage with a decent CV that can defend its self against Drones and the like. I'm jumping between the planets in the starting system mining resources and looting the odd POI. My latest POI was the very lightly-defended Zirax Supply Station. It appears to have been updated, so I decided to retro-fit it for my own needs. It's now a lightly armed but shielded base, only really housing a Furnace and all that's needed to support that.

I just got a warning of an incoming attack - Level 3 on this planet, but no challenge thus far - and this time it was a Troop Dropship. The ship approached from the direction my CV is parked and I watched the approach from the top floor of my newly acquired base. The ship flew towards the CV and me in the Base and my Base turrets opened up first despite the CV being closer to the enemy - classic example of the player's location dictating weapons range, but hey.

The Troop Dropship is pretty darn bullet spongy able to soak up fire from multiple minigun turrets, so it makes it to the "I want to land now" stage. Anyway, much to my surprise the ship lands on top of my CV, and deploys eight or so troops there. They proceed to get shredded by the various turrets on the Base and CV. Some managed to drop down to the ground and rush the Base, but it's too late for them, they're torn up by some well-placed Sentry Turrets. I've just looted them all, and the Troop Dropship, and all is quiet now, but the attack still isn't over...dunno what's coming next.

Anyway, thought I'd share this little encounter as it amused me.

Fractalite, Wellingtoon and Fenris like this.
  10. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

11. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Neal!

And Scoob in the What did you do in Empyrion today thread!

By jove, that is exciting. :)

Neal likes this.
  12. ASTIC

ASTIC Captain

13. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I have been know to pop by...from time-to-time.

I'd be happy to start posting "here's my latest flying / hovering (delete as applicable) box" screenshots if anyone was interested lol. I really do appear to be a box + the useful bits person when it comes to vessel design. Sure that bit of decco flare / colour / block that isn't a cube would look great, but is it useful / needed? That's my brain while ship building, I'm barely even conscious of it.

That said, my latest CV does look pretty good, in my opinion, but it was purely an evolutionary Survival Game build, as I bolted more bits on it and extended parts of it. When I'm next on the gamer - perhaps some time over the weekend - I may actually grab a screenshot. I also built a "flying garden" CV, that looks dreadful but I rather like it :)

That's how I like to play. I'll build the most basic, non-warp CV early-game just to aid mining and looting due to its superior carrying capabilities. That's how my current CV started out. It'll eventually become some million+ CPU monster, with full facilities, internal docking for numerous smaller vessels and able to defend its self from Drone-class threats. It will remain ponderous and sluggish in flight as that's how I feel such a vessel should be.

Fractalite likes this.
  14. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

Hello everyone!
    I've been continuing my journey in Survival (playing roughly for a month by now), and i finally manged to get all the ressources for a decent CV. (that's what i was looking forward to all the time.)
    After a few days and a few Space battles here and there, i managed to leave hostile space (where the starter system was) and cross trading guild space. Not really sure how they call themselves since i had almost no interaction with any faction, idk if that's intended by the game or not.
    0001 NewGame_6-220401-0044_2022-04-06_16-50-39.png

Anyway, i'm looking at the moment for a nice temperate planet to build a planetary Base.
    0002 NewGame_6-220401-0044_2022-04-06_16-50-31.png

0003 Survival 4-220409-0346_2022-04-09_05-46-21.png

Yesterday, while i was mining an Erestrum Asteroid, thinking of nothing bad, just out of nowhere my ship was suddenly destroyed. I had no idea why, so i reloaded the last savegame and found a relatively small ship lurking around the system.
    I set course to intercept the vessel to get rid of it.
    The first thing i saw of it was a barrage 10 or more of homing missiles, even before the enemy ship was fully rendered, that took out my t2 shields in a matter of seconds... (thanks devs, for adding a completely useless ship system, btw.)
    The first few times i managed to destroy the enemies shields after a few minutes of constant fire of my 10 Pulse Laser Turrets. Most of the time (in case i wasn't instantly killed), the enemies fire went through my combat steel Hull like butter, selectively destroying my Ships core and Weapons, in an instant.
    If i could manage to survive a little bit longer than a Minute, my Weapons continously returned fire, but i couldn't even scratch their hull, not to speak of doing any significant damage.

Long story short, after many attempts to fight that abonimation of a Ugly, black spiky shoebox, i retreated from that system and look somewhere else for things to do.

Aside from that rather underwhelming experience, it was that NPC ship that raised my interest, so i spawned it in creative mode, just to look what the heck that was.

May i present the Skaar Raider:
    0004 NewGame_6-220408-1159_2022-04-09_15-43-15.png

0005 NewGame_6-220408-1159_2022-04-09_15-54-31.png

If i may direct your attention to the weapons layout of this "raider"
    Minigun Turret: 6
    Flak Turret: 6
    Rocket Turret: 10
    Plasma Turret: 5
    Pulse Laser Turret: 3
    Sentry Gun: 2
    Pulse Laser (fixed): 6
    Rocket Launcher (fixed): 4
    Artillery Turret: 2

+T2 Shield system, a seemingly inpenetrable hull (and an extereme generic (boring) black "edgy" design, btw.)
    Who thought that adding such a thing as a random spawn and call it "Raider" (which imples a very small ship) would be a good idea? :thumpUp:

Warning: Rant
    I don't want to complain, but i wonder why is Space combat is still so clumky and primitive in general, especially compared to other aspects of the game, like ground combat (which isn't especially good either, but still better than this terrible CV-CV or CV-BA combat), or the building aspect, and especially the Survival aspect. I just don't understand tbh.

For example, you have no means to get info about the enemy ship via your UI in Battle. No option to fire at enemy weapons, Engines or other systems while in battle. (This is when you need to decide situation wise, NOT beforehand, lol)
    Heck you can't even free your mouse cursor to selet Target and do other things.
    To be honest, i'm really surprised and a bit amused that in the time of my absence NOTHING was done to improve CV handling, or ship management. It's baffeling, to say it mildly.

Btw, why do CVs still fly like bloated space fighters?
    You can't circle the enemy to exchange broadsides for instance, because you are more occupied to fight against camera angles and trying to steer the ship, than fighting the enemy.

I'm sorry for the mild rant, but once you leave the starter Planet, the game is such a letdown.
    I rather come back in a few years to check the game again, maybe there wil be some option to mod the game so we can add devices like a decent shield system and few, but powerful energy weapons ourselves.
    I hate it to put turrets all over my ship designs and i hate NPC ships that have no square inch of hull that is not occupied with a weapon.

15. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

Guess it's a good job I never converted the Skaar Ravager then (The Skaar Raider was built by JRandall btw), oh and I wouldn't head to Zirax space either otherwise you'll come across something called the Tovera.

Germanicus likes this.
  16. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

My starter system was in the middle of Zirax territory and aside from a few minor problems at the beginning, i had actually not many problems with handling Zirax i have encountered tbh.
    Maybe i was unclear, but i didn't intend to attack anyone for their ship designs, i was just surpised, that such a rediculusly overpowered ship was allowed by the devs to be a random spawn.

Germanicus likes this.
  17. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

Were you playing vanilla? The starter system of the vanilla SP game isn't in any faction territory.

Trust me, there are ships out there FAR worse than the Skaar Raider ;) In today's standards the Raider isn't really overpowered. As I said earlier, if you see the Tovera I'd run the other way.

18. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

Thanks for the (non)advice. :thumpUp:

19. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

20. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

I guess sometimes, low tech problems require low tech sollutions.

0008 NewGame_6-220408-1159_2022-04-12_15-11-57.png

In the last few days i created the ship on the left to fullfill the games "todays standards".
    (Yes, it's an ugly sob. 6 Artillery Turrets and 52 Pulse Laser Turrets.
    ...and yes, if the game doesn't know any restrictions, why should i? )

Tbh, it's a shame you have to explore a Galaxy with something that is basically a WWI Battleship, lol.