What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. The Big Brzezinski

The Big Brzezinski Captain

The laser drills did not compare favorably.

[​IMG]

Robot Shark likes this.
  2. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I realized that I had always gone bigger when I made different versions of my carrier, so I decided to go smaller with an asymmetrical single-hanger version.

Since the Cerulean Star was the original base for the series, I dusted off the old blueprint and started working.

Here is where I am so far, I decided to use the blast doors instead of the hangar doors so I could get a larger opening.
    Like it’s counterparts the main bay is not O2 pressurized but it is airtight so all players need to do is add a ventilator if they want O2.

[​IMG]

Peter Conway and Wellingtoon like this.
  3. watfudat

watfudat Ensign

Well a real nice question, the last couple of days trying to get into Emporiom after years of playing with no trouble at all my game will not load any servers at all and when it has the lowest server has a ping of around 1800,,,problem is with me im just too dumb to know how to report it all my other games in Steam work perfectly.

4. Peter Conway

Peter Conway Commander

[​IMG]
    Not so much only today, but I cruised around a new system with my now completely constructed Annic Nova, renamed Annex Nova because it's been taken from Traveller (Mark W Miller) and adapted to run in Empyrion, this is not the Annic Nova by BuffHampster, this is the one I teased a few years ago but was never satisfied with.
    Today it stands as a 'lifer ship' where there is no real quick way in and out save for an SV and a drop hatch it can't land and there are no magic container thingies, what you can fit in the box is what will fit, the Pinnace's that were attached to the arms are now thrusters, it has far to many generators and just eats fuel, that keeps me busy

5. Tyrion

Tyrion Lieutenant

Auch ich habe diese Marke diese Woche überschritten

Germanicus and Wellingtoon like this.
  6. Achenar

Achenar Commander

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
  7. Achenar

Achenar Commander

8. Peter Conway

Peter Conway Commander

What did I do today?
    My lil' fella got belly ache and died... again, ate a stake that turned rotten as he munched it... game over!

Robot Shark likes this.
  9. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

Wow. Been so long since I browsed these forums at all. Then again, I also have so many unfinished projects/builds in Empyrion.

Anyways, I read the post about the laser drills "not comparing favorable" and suddenly the question popped in my head as to what could be meant by that. Then again, I stopped using my Faith mining SV for a while because the laser drill behavior for the SV had changed in one of the updates. What used to be a great drill pattern now produced a spaghetti mess instead of a nice tunnel.

[​IMG]

In addition to that "bar" conveniently left across the middle of the tunnel entrance, the sides are all a jagged mess leaving the actual navigable space a tiny hole between all those "teeth". After some time avoiding it, I decided to revisit my test rigs and see if I could find a decent pattern that worked for me again.
    [​IMG]

The rig with the carbon blocks is actually a modified version where I moved the laser drills actually a bit closer together for a result that I found somewhat satisfactory. Made many holes while testing this. Even did multiple runs with the modified arrangement hoping that it wasn't just a fluke each time.

[​IMG]

Then I took my lesson and applied to my Faith mining SV. Now I only made a relatively minor adjustment to the laser drill arrangement because I wanted to preserve the underlying SV and rebuild it heavily inspired by the original. The resulting SV actually makes two decent holes close enough to each other that making a proper tunnel is relatively easy to do. At least it isn't the spaghetti I was getting previously that was practically impossible to clean up. Now just a little sweep slightly to the side and there can be a good tunnel to travel through.

[​IMG]

Interestingly, the new version is technically shorter than the original even though visually it is longer. This is brought about by the lasers not extending so far in front of the SV and the ramp doesn't extend so far off the back--even if the ramp is literally the same block as the original used.

Just give me a moment, and I'll update the Faith SV on the workshop. Eventually, I'll probably create a new mining SV that doesn't gap the mining into two groups and focuses on one good hole instead of two close together, but with all my other unfinished projects,... well, that might be getting ahead of myself. I am just happy to have my mining SV back into a state where I won't be avoiding it anymore.

Ironically, the Faith tier 3 version is cheaper than the tier 2 all because the CPU cost of the cheaper medium jets as opposed to the clusters of large thrusters that require less CPU....
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2246315510

Robot Shark likes this.
  10. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

Today, I uploaded the updated versions of three of my CV. However, it has been a while since I updated the one that I cannot recall what it was that I even updated. My best guess is that I forgot to attach the containers to the constructors so it is probably just an update along that nature. As for the Nightjar CV, I know that the tier 1 basic model got updated with the latest in gravity generator. It didn't need the full size model and with the variants now available it got a little space savings by downgrading. The tier 2 also got the updated advanced constructor with paint job to match the vessel. I still have a couple more updated CVs in my staging area waiting for me to get around to updating them in the workshop too.

Yeah, I use another WIP as a staging area for my completed SV and CV. Sort of a reminder to get around to updating those blueprints on the workshop. I should probably actually finish the base and post it on the workshop too.

[​IMG]

Robot Shark likes this.
  11. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I currently have 4 workshop saves that have everything I have created spawned in them.
    Makes it a little easier when I have to update them.

This is a link to an "empty" workshop save, it's over 4 years old but it still loads.
    Word of warning if you use it, do NOT modify the platforms. Many will collapse if you do.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xe8skakkpz_tuDYHRoWxoSRX25uAW2uc/view?usp=sharing

[​IMG]

Peter Conway and dpburke2 like this.
  12. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

Today, I finalized the Star Song CV and shared it on the workshop. I've actually been using this as my combat CV for years. It has gone through several revisions over that time. Earlier versions had a hangar for HV, but over the years I dropped that because I would always use this paired with another CV such as my Perspiration mining/salvage CV. Take down the target with the Star Song and then return with another CV to convert captured wrecks into building materials.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3332547333

[​IMG]

Now to collect the resources to bring this into my current survival game. Yes, I often do the building in creative. It will be fun though bringing it into my survival world, a private server. The previous iteration of the Star Song is actually already parked on another world for a friend to use until they can get the materials for their own warship. I happen to have a couple targets in the current system I want to eliminate so I pushed myself to finish this refit to fix a couple things I wanted to improve upon from the prior version.

Robot Shark likes this.
  13. Peter Conway

Peter Conway Commander

[​IMG]
    Today, well, yesterday actually, I spent a good deal of time asking the internet about new block shape mods, I remember a picture of an acre of blocks laid out with (I think) new shapes for those bit we simply can't do with the standard shapes, but no matter what or how I asked the results were never what was needed,

I had started a 'UFO' kinda ship, octagon and used sloped (kinda 1x2) from the outside thin wedge and thick wedge which worked until the two sides met at a corner, then I tried every block and rotation I felt I could until I just said... "bugger it, it's not gonna work" and exited in frustration.
    So unless someone here can help it'll remain like so many 'on the back burner'

As an after though, if anyone feels they can help... As you can see the two sides meet but the two sides are not pointing towards the center Blue line, and try as I may I cannot find a solution

Robot Shark likes this.
  14. Peter Conway

Peter Conway Commander

On another front, today I got a bit of a hammering from a mob of unruly Zirax, taking on a little gunship in their territory brought more trouble than I had bargained for, had to make an exit!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A few modifications, upgraded shield, Plasma turrets, and replaced the drives and added a further tank and genetator, oh yeah, and another CPU thingy.

I love this little puppy.
    (for those with a keen eye, yup, upgraded that shotgun too)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2024 at 12:01 PM
    Robot Shark likes this.