What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Bug Report worthy. ;)

I think he was referring to making the ledge edges Flattening can create straight instead of jagged & crooked. Voxels just plain don't do 'straight sides' at this time... maybe not ever.

Not to mention Alien Freighter Captains that think their job is to treat their Freighters like Warships & Wage War on the Universe... instead of actually TRANSPORT their Cargo. :p

Fixed. :p

Remember what happened last time the Human Race got too lazy for its own good & tried to offload too much of its work & thinking onto AI? What was that called again...? Umm... oh yeah, "Skynet". :p

Truss amount on the sides lookin good, might not be a bad idea to add at least a little Trussing connecting the two sides together in the middle.

rainyday and ion_storm like this.
  2. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Not really an AI, more like adaptive cruise control :)

Scoob.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Skynet 'Adapted' alright... the Human Race did NOT like the Consequences of that. :p

4. hound

hound Captain

"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind."

5. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

pfft. Says who?

Tyrax Lightning and Siege Inc. like this.
  6. hound

hound Captain

Frank Herbert....Dune, the Butlerian Jihad, just another reference to the world of sci fi.....lol.

7. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I was thinking abut this and felt it deserved another reply.

As we can see with Siege's work on the Cylon raider, importing from a 3D object is far from perfect.
    Siege had to spend hours cleaning up the hull after the import.

Also, from Siege's screenshots, the import did not do anything for the interior of the craft, it just made a empty shell.
    Then you have another giggle, it only imports the hull, you still have to add fuel tanks, thrusters, generators, etc.

So importing a 3D model still entails a massive amount of work to end at a working ship.
    That ship you built yourself may be the easier and less resource-intensive option.

So, is it worth it building structures ourselves when people can just import a 3D model?
    I would say it's a matter of taste, and that both methods require a lot of work.

Do not sell your self-built ship short.

8. SoCalExile

SoCalExile Captain

Working on this:

Empyrion Exiles_2017-03-17_21-44-02.png Empyrion Exiles_2017-03-17_21-44-20.png Empyrion Exiles_2017-03-17_21-52-24.png Empyrion Exiles_2017-03-17_21-46-58.png

Desus, Marbod, Fractalite and 7 others like this.
  9. GlassDeviant

GlassDeviant Commander

Ooh, fresh meat for the graffiti gun!

Did you paint anything at all?

oojimaflip and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  10. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Well said.

These imported models do give you a really nice, scaled model to work from and I won't lie, it's nice not having to work out the dimensions/scale through a lot of trial and error and/or math but they're very rough. A lot of that has to do with what block shapes the script can process. Right now it's not many. Adding more would give better results but it's somewhat complicated to make it work. The models that get spit out of the program are like a rough statue that has been partially sculpted and awaits the sculptor's hand to finish it but just because you started with the same model doesn't mean they'll turn out the same. Different hands, different results. Ability and creativity make a big difference in how the build turns out and that's not something these import programs can replicate.

Neal has done a masterful job with his creations and they're all the more impressive because he didn't use an imported model. In my opinion they are the definitive versions of those ships in Empyrion. Could someone take a 3D model and make something the equal or even better than what he's done? If they do then credit to them and their creativity because he's set a pretty high bar. A 3D model might even the odds a bit but the devil is in the details, as the saying goes.

It would be a different story if the import program was flawless. But it's not. And I *wish* it left the hulls truly empty. I halved the production time on the Cylon raider just from cleaning up the interior. That's how much crap had to be cleaned out.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  11. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I agree as well. Plus in other games where people would import 3d models their creations were expected to be almost perfect because some players saw the 3d import way of building as a short cut WHICH IT IS NOT believe me it ain't easy. I agree both methods take time. In Starmade I imported a Borg Sphere and I spent a lot of time on it but as soon as I uploaded it to the workshop. Every comment I received was " I know this is a 3d model import so it's no excuse to be missing this or missing that." lol I leave the 3d model detailing to the more talented players now of days.
    I might grab a 3d model for a personal project just to have fun because i love SCI FI tv shows but I will always spend most of my time building everything from scratch. As fun as the models are there is nothing better than flying an original CV or a really cool sv right after you've finished building it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  12. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

13. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

CHEEK!:D:p
    After painting Typhon (probably still not finished!) we changed our approach a little so that we now don't paint *EVERYTHING*
    I have no idea how long that thing took, must have been upwards of 80 hours just in paint and texture. Honestly, big ships take almost twice as long to finish as they do to build!o_O
    Also worth noting, the distance between the smallest ship and the largest is probably close to 1000m, and the screenshot is taken from about 800m away to get everything in, at that range a lot of stuff is simply LOD'ed out.:oops:
    So yeah, we used to paint everything, now we paint bits, we could always use a good painter! ;)(or, y'know, a better paint tool)

14. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

We have another Space Engineers player join the Empyrion Community!!! A few SE players are starting to give Empyrion a second look. This guy has a great channel and seems to be hooked on Empyrion.
    Here is his video reviewing an Empyrion ship.

Tyrax Lightning and rainyday like this.
  15. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Not today but the past few days - final test flight of my first actually big ship - heavy mining barge Ilmarinen.

Here it is, in action:
    20170312222605_1.jpg
    Two of the four turrets in action (I need more friends...) - and me piloting in the lower cockpit where its easy to see where you at.

20170316075158_1.jpg

Im glad to say it is finished. It was great to build it and feels even greater to finish something of this size. I've built some small stuff but there is just something addictive with these bigger builds... :cool:

Steam Workshop:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=884736109

20170315215009_1.jpg

I've been using and tweaking my Rhino miner throughout my multiplayer game. I wanted something a little bit beefier than an average budget miner - and this was pretty much how I imagined a miner would be like. It could be little bit lighter, but it has enough thrust & rcs to feel very responsive. I release it just now alongside Ilmarinen as it fit the theme. Eight of these can easily fit the big HV hangar of Ilmarinen

Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=884736592

20170316081428_1.jpg

Now this was specifically made FOR Ilmarinen - called MCP - but I think I will be using it othwerwise too. It can fly in & out of Ilmarinen's cargo holds and can access all of the four hangars. It's basically a cargo SV - but little bit more general use than just a loads of cargo boxes. Great support ship building bigger projects in space, for example.

Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=884736358

Lots of building lately - I think I will be concentrating little bit more on the playing for now. Well, kinda. Need to get out of Ningues. Need a CV. That means building... oh well. It still has a different feel to it in survival :)

16. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I have been tinkering with an open air skiff-like design for a CV. I am curious about the potential for the concept and I adore this ship. Nicely fucking done. Bravo!

Tyrax Lightning and rainyday like this.
  17. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Introducing Light Cycle 2.0.

I really enjoyed making the original Light Cycle and I wanted to continue the theme so this is really more of a Light "Chopper." :)

The original Light Cycle:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=807243730

The original is a painfully inexpensive level 3 exploration vessel. Version 2.0 is a slight higher level(level 5) minimally armed exploration vessel. Still wonderfully inexpensive.

Both cycles lend themselves nicely to upgrades.

Steam link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=886614739

Enjoy!

Light-Cycle-2.0.jpg

Creative_18_2017-03-18_22-02-37.jpg

Creative_18_2017-03-18_22-06-52.jpg

Creative_18_2017-03-18_22-06-32.jpg

Creative_18_2017-03-18_22-12-14.jpg

18. GlassDeviant

GlassDeviant Commander

Definitely a beter paint tool. Working on a custom...I hate to use the word galaxy for an Empyrion game, yet, but it's better than "solar system" or "map"...now or I'd think about it. Plus I desperately need to update my "simple ship" blueprints to be usable in 5.5.x, after having updated them for 4.x.x once already it's getting tedious even for the few I have.

Tyrax Lightning and oojimaflip like this.
  19. GlassDeviant

GlassDeviant Commander

How do you keep it from tipping over all the time?

I gave up on HVs (mostly) since the new engines came out and went with an SV "motorcycle".

Unarmed version:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=881199501

Armed version is higher level, a bit more expensive to build, and I haven't apparently uploaded it or something.

The only HV I keep updated is my howitzer for opening up troublesome POIs, since SVs don't get nice artillery turrets:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=884465399

Recently updated to PINK edition and renamed "Barbie Corvette" because I could (and due to an old joke between friends).

20. GlassDeviant

GlassDeviant Commander

Too bad those cool landing gear don't actually retract as they look like they should.

Tyrax Lightning and banksman45 like this.