What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I vote for this. I would love to see your interpretation of a survey vessel, or, if you want to merge the idea of surveying and aggressive; a reconnaissance ship.

I still vote for an awesome surveyor that works with the mining corp theme you have going. Have an area of the ship that is tangibly designated for setting up mining facilities *cough* abandoned mine *cough* and an area for resource collection and testing - but not just cargo containers; also pipes and machine-like texturing(I cannot believe I am saying this, but maybe not so much artistic *shudders* as utilitarian.) Perhaps an area where a small squadron of defense ships and other scanning vessels are located? Gotta have a med-bay, a workers residence - but make it kind of, dirty. And not the kind with dirt and rust... :eek::p;);););););)

What else, what else...

For an added challenge, you tend to build like me, Kieve, Frigidman, and others - "cleaner" exteriors. Maybe make this one more, "rough around the edges." Thematically that does not make much sense in terms of sci-fi, as the surveyors are often wielding nice, sleeker ships. BUT! I say scrap that hooey and try something different.

Perhaps also locations for antenna arrays, and solar panels. Ummmm... what am I missing? Will keep musing...

You have a wonderful mind for all the little details so I am eager to see what you come up with!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  2. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

They should do a small competition, allowing people to submit their own textures for consideration...

Scoob.

3. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

4. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Mr. X and I have a friendly competition on the steam workshop that has been going on since.... last December? He created a ship that inspired me to make Ithil:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813226268

Which he then answered with:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850705618

Then I designed:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=919274062

and

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=919269350

So today he came up with:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1110411621&searchtext=

The criteria for the competition is in that post. So, "What did I do in Empyrion today?" I got my ass handed to me. :)

I have no idea how to beat that ship... I am not sure if it is even possible as that is just internals, cockpit and wings. Huh.

5. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I'm still trying to figure out why they will not open up the texture gun to modding? I would think if there was ever something the devs would allow to be modded it's the textures .

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  6. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Finally landed on the moon . So fill up the warp tank or moon invasion? I think both. ;)

Screenshot (386).png

Screenshot (389).png

7. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

There is a second giggle to that, uploading the custom textures with the blueprint to the workshop so folks who download it do not get default textures (or texture errors).

If they implemented that, I imagine there would be a limit to the size of the texture file.
    Also a limit to how many custom textures you are allowed to have per blueprint.

---

Back to topic, the exterior of the new ship is done, I am just applying some textures before I start trying to figure out where all the devices and furniture goes.

8. hound

hound Captain

I had one of those early morning wake-up with a design on my mind again moments.....
    So I am still trying to master the art of shooting at a POI with a SV instead of digging a hole and shooting out the turrets with a sniper....I know so last year..lol. So i made a SV and I got tired of the POI's shooting my cockpit and doing damage to the Important parts of the ship.
    So I made this little Gem- pretty heavy armor up front and the cockpit in the rear. Severely over engined so I can go side to side and up quick to avoid incoming. Flies differently since the entire SV is ahead of the cockpit. It is wider than my usual but it flies so well sideways that i just go into the hanger that way...lol. Now to go and see how it does against a drone base !!!!
    I would invite anyone who just loves to fly and do rolls to pick this up and fly around....have fun with the Fluttermaus....

[​IMG]
    Low cost even with all upgraded steel blocks.
    [​IMG]

9. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Captain

A few Days ago, I went thru the abandoned mine on Akua (first time since switches were introduced). While dismantling it, I came across a pair of switches in the control room. Curious, I poped in a core and found out that one of them didn't actually do anything, the other turned on/off several of the Turrets. Is it a bug or design that not all the turrets are turned off, and that one of them doesn't do anything?

10. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Several of the updated POI's have various levers and sensors. Some appear to simply open doors - potentially letting defenders through - others trigger trap doors, dropping the player into potentially difficult situations, while some even detonate the Core, saving the player some effort. Never can tell quite what they'll do until you try it :)

Scoob.

11. En_Ma

En_Ma Commander

I had a huge discussion... well, I had the discussion out of the game, with a friend of mine I've been bugging to try out Empyrion, about a design I was obsessing over.

Long story short, he made some comments, and since I'm not at all petty and vindictive I decided to go with it, design something that's exactly like the comment he meant to be disparaging and make it work! Ha!

It's probably going to be terribly embarrassing once it's finished, and I doubt I'll post the whole thing.
    So here's a screenshot of two of the "buildings" that are meant to be inside the hangar once the thing is complete. Maybe they can be of inspirations to some.

HappyFun-Mobile.jpg
    Left is the greenhouse, right is engineering.
    (and the perspective sucks)

12. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

I think you cut the story a little too short, feels like a crucial bit of context is missing. What did he say, that you decided to build a thing just like it?

Tyrax Lightning and Starwing6 like this.
  13. hound

hound Captain

En Ma that's not embarrassing that's actually quite cool looking...this is embarrassing....
    [​IMG]

14. Its Just Steve

Its Just Steve Captain

Pfft! Who needs friends like that? LOL.
    But this gives me an idea about how to better incorporate my greenhouse on my mountaintop.

15. Darkscis

Darkscis Captain

Well I started to texture and colour my Fralthi cruiser, found out it's the single most boring thing in the game for me and scrapped the idea. I will leave the paint job to the wife - she absolutely loves it. Got started on my next build instead! I had a concept in mind for the rear thruster assembly and wanted to build a SV so I got to work - figured out that the thruster sizes didn't work for my concept, so started on another CV where they do!

I have decided that this time around I am going to build, texture and colour the CV section by section, as opposed to finishing the outside and then trying to squeeze the internals into weird shapes without any clear knowledge of how my pathing is going to work. It also means I will hopefully not get put off by the daunting task of texturing and colouring an entire interior and exterior at once... block by individual block. I forgot to take some screenshots of the work so far (and I am posting this from work) but I will upload some tonight when I get home. I have finished off the entire rear thruster assembly and started on a bar/viewing wing and the rear hangar. Plenty of space below that for engineering and I am thinking of either medical or greenhouse on the opposite wing but we shall see.

16. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

the devs could add a section on the workshop for modded textures. There are people ready to mod empyrion now if they get access. So I'm pretty if if the devs open the texture gun to modded sections the workshop would be full with pages of different textures. Starmade is kind of like that where you can upload modded blocks with different textures to share with the rest of the community. Space Engineers do it with all of their modded blocks, skyboxes and scripts.

17. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Whats bad, I thought of another question.
    How many custom textures can the game engine handle?
    Lets say you have 5 constructs out, all with different custom textures, would it cause the game to start lagging?

Side note, we should make a separate thread for this and not hijack this one.

18. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Captain

Still doesn't tell me if the one that did NOTHING was an oversight. And I viewed the settings thru the Control panel. And during the trip, I'd only destroyed 3 turrets. Might have gotten lucky at that, tho.

19. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

I don't want to burst any bubbles here...

German copyright law is pretty complex and a tad more restrictive than most other European countries, if my understanding is correct moddable textures will not be possible.
    I've done a little bit of research and from my current understanding the problem is that German copyright law does not allow Eleon to create a system that *could* be used to infringe copyright, since Eleon have no control over what textures people might mod in if they allow modded textures then copyright infringements will occur. Basically, under German copyright law software must not enable copyright infringement in any way.
    I'm pretty sure Eleon won't even try to open up the textures to modding, any chance of clarification? @Hummel-o-War @EleonGameStudios

20. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

You could be right with this one.
    But then again I can see some way of contribution of texture/models from the community to Eleon for approval as I think veryfying/checking/examinating is way less time consuming than creating on their own, and I'm sure our community is more then willing to help and contribute...

Tyrax Lightning and banksman45 like this.