What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Today I decided that I would start adding motion sensor control to the doors and ramps of my HV's and SV's.
    I found out the hard way that the 3x4x2 SV ramp is longer than the motion sensors range. o_O

So, walk up to the rear of the SV, the door and ramp deploy, the ramp pushes me out of the the sensors range and they close/retract.
    I had to jump onto the extending ramp to prevent myself from getting pushed away.

Very annoying, and reported in the bug thread.

binhthuy71, rucky and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  2. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I wonder if the Sensor Idea would work better if placed closer to where the Ramp Extension ends, rather then where the Ramp Extension begins? Though mind ya i've yet to get to even get started at learning the Logic Use stuff, so I dunno if i'm making a Mega Derp or not with this Post.

binhthuy71 likes this.
  3. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

I played with using sensors to deploy a ramp. I never could get it sorted to my satisfaction because of the difference between sensor range and ramp extension. That may have been another thing to be humble about because I'm still on thin ice with Signal Logic.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  4. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Dobrý výber farieb pre interiér. Vyzerá veľmi pohodlne.

(Good choice of colors for the interior. It looks very comfortable.)

5. typhoon01

typhoon01 Captain

Very Thenks

binhthuy71 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  6. jmtc

jmtc Captain

If I'm not mistaken, sensor range is an adjustable box that you can configure using the "device" tab. I've spent a lot of time on sensor configuration in my CV, but maybe it's different on SVs/HVs?

*edit - just tested and replied to your post in the bug thread. It does work the same way on SV/HV as it does on CV.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  7. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

*derp*

Tyrax Lightning, binhthuy71 and jmtc like this.
  8. jmtc

jmtc Captain

It's completely non-intuitive as it exists in the game right now, so no derp at all man! It took me hours and lots of trial and error to figure out the system for it.

Cool SV you've got there too.

The reason that the sensor "bumps" you in the interior is that the game thinks that it's a solid block - maybe Eleon could consider removing collision from sensors? They are very tricky to position due to the space they occupy, and I've had to do things like place a sensor controlling lights in one room in a completely different room/area to make it work without interference, using the bounding range controls to compensate for position.

9. Ramachandra

Ramachandra Captain

Few posts ago I had seen a green mesh on the images, marking the center of a ship. How can I turn it on and off?

Fractalite, Tyrax Lightning and jmtc like this.
  10. jmtc

jmtc Captain

@Ramachandra - hold a construction block such as a cube on the desired centerline of the construct (note that this does not have to be the physical centerline; just the desired center of symmetry). Press and hold the 'N' key to bring up the symmetry manager. Keeping the 'N' key held down, select 'YZ' axis for a longitudinal symmetry plane. Click the LMB once to set the plane (it won't place a block).

To turn off, press and hold 'N' key and select "none" in the symmetry manager. Once a symmetry plane has been defined, you can always toggle it on or off just by bringing up the manager.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  11. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Thank you!

Tyrax Lightning and jmtc like this.
  12. Ramachandra

Ramachandra Captain

Excellent! This will make creation easier for me.

13. jmtc

jmtc Captain

Considering the most excellent pieces I've seen you create, I am awed and slightly frightened by the prospect!

;)

14. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

That tune is surprisingly catchy! :p

Robot Shark, binhthuy71 and jmtc like this.
  15. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I feel a little less silly now.

The file was for a modified SV HPOD, it has more advanced weaponry than the ones in the workshop because I had geared them to be survival builds that you upgraded later (when you have the resources).

I have been experimenting with the front of the ship, on the old blueprints, I limited the forward glass to the same shapes you find with shutter blocks. Before 6.0 I would replace the forward glass with shutter blocks as an upgrade. Since the shutter blocks are not airtight I no longer do that step and just go for armored glass. So, why limit myself with the forward glass anymore?

The original is on the left, the experiment is on the right.
    I'm still debating on revamping the front on the HV's / SV's in the series.

20170919175905_1.jpg

Yep, I keep it in my phone and MP3 player. It has appeared at some very amusing times while I am listening to random music.

Donbingo, typhoon01, Neal and 3 others like this.
  16. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Sometimes I sing it all day long!

Robot Shark, Tyrax Lightning and jmtc like this.
  17. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

Hey guys, i need a little advice.
    Is it possible to keep shutter doors permanently open or closed?
    I was adding them inside the ship to isolate various sections in case of a battle.
    They will automaticly close when the signal logic is activated, minimizing the oxygen loss in case of a hull breach.
    But those stupid shutter doors always automaticly close as soon as i'm going through them, ruining the impression of a open interior.

So, my question to the expert builders here, is there a way to keep them permanently open and only close when the signal is send?

18. jmtc

jmtc Captain

@ Neal - Not as far as I'm aware. Shutters are always on auto open/close even when switch controlled.

If you can place the shutters a block up from floor level, you won't be in their trigger zone when you approach. That's what I did for my ammo box bunkers:

NewGame_6.5-170728-2202_2017-09-20_00-08-48.png

Tyrax Lightning, rucky and Neal like this.
  19. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

Of course, i knew it... it would be too nice it it was possible... :(
    Thanks for the answer!

What i'm trying to do is this:

NewGame_3-170907-0255_2017-09-20_08-52-26.png NewGame_3-170907-0255_2017-09-20_08-53-08.png

Man, i really have learned to hate those shutter doors.
    First, they won't open if you're in a vehicle (preventing some cool looking hangar designs), and now they won't even work as a primitive bulkhead. A simple door that is permanently open and be closed when you want it to, the most primitive thing in the world.

I really hate it when AI or other modern devices try to think ahead for you in RL. They 99% get it wrong and make things less relilable and more complicated.
    Really frustrating to come up with something new somethimes, even if it's just simple like this.
    Sorry for the rant, lol.

Tyrax Lightning, ion_storm and jmtc like this.
  20. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

Agree....now that sensors are implemented all doors should be set to manual/autolock

FYI - the shutter door not responding when you in vehicle - add a beam sensor. as soon as you approach it will open when breaking the beam. Guess a motion sensor will also work