What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

Negative! This is a flying Uterus with attached Fallopian tubes and ovaries.
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes I wish I could un-watch some of the sci-fi from my youth.....

2. dichebach

dichebach Captain

That is the most feminine space thing I ever saw . . . it has cleavage . . . and HIPS! I don't even want to consider what the actual genotype was at conception though . . .

3. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

It not everyones goal is to spread fear and terror.
    Every idiot ---> https://empyriononline.com/threads/what-did-you-do-in-empyrion-today.2826/page-398#post-180428
    can slap together a cube in 5 minutes and put x weapons on it, that's not art. What made the Borg Cube scary (at least in TNG) was the inhuman crew and the lack of any knowledge about it (similar like what made the first Alien movie so scary).
    Later it wasn't anything special imo (especially in ST:Voyager).

To me, the real art in Empyrion is to create something pleasing or even beautiful with the availlable blocks, although they are not really meant for that job imo (which makes it even more of an art). Slapping together something ugly is the most easy thing in the world.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Kieve and rucky like this.
  4. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

that's a hard word for us that aren't such talents... :(

Kassonnade likes this.
  5. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

Today I learned not to take what seems to be an advantageous position for granted.
    [​IMG]
    Also... F**k**g Raptors can Mu**er***king CLIMB! Grumble grumble "Reloading!" grumble grumble

6. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

I'm the last who would be qualified to judge other ppls. work imo.
    I was only talking about that orange abomination cube i made in less than 5 minutes.

7. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

8. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

A lot of people regard application of color on the most basic shapes 'art'. One person's abomination is another's ambrosia. :rolleyes:

Aeri, Kassonnade, rucky and 3 others like this.
  9. dichebach

dichebach Captain

If I let my imagination run to "what might space craft look like in 100 or 200 years?" I'd bet on:

For the long distance vehicles: almost exclusively cylindrical or toroidal designs built large enough to generate centrifugal forces that approximate at least 0.5 g (and preferable 0.9 g without too much disorientation from a fast rotation, so we are probably talking in the ball park of kilometers in diameter . . . ) and with enough space inside to house the industry, people, and power processing to make the likely propulsion system viable.

For example: O'Neill Cylinder
    [​IMG]

Stanford torus
    [​IMG]

Bernal sphere
    [​IMG]

or just good old Discovery One
    [​IMG]

The service ships that handle the freight and personnel transfer, orbit to surface flights, etc. will not be so constrained and may largely continue to reflect current space craft (cylinders almost exclusively).

My sense is, if you honestly want to make good time to distant targets, then there will (in reality) be a minimum size. Simply because of the need to store the power you collect from the environment in enormous quantities (whether that power is in the form of photons or other cosmic rays, fissile material scooped up from the interplanetary/interstellar medium or some other more exotic thing like "surfing the the solar or galactic magnetic field"). Acceleration will necessarily be a modest thing; better to do it slowly so that living things are not adversely affected. But with enough "fuel," and proper navigational alignment, you just keep on accelerating for years and decades and your travel time to even alpha centauri could be within a human lifetime I reckon.

A game that used the high resolution building mechanics and a first person 3D user interface like EGS, but which did not invoke ANY soft-science fiction plot devices (warp drives, artificial gravity generators, etc.) would be neat.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  10. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

Maybe.
    Some things may look good for some ppl. but awful for others, but is it truely art if the creator didn't put any thought in his work?
    Maybe, but i wouldn't go so far. To me art is always connected with intention.

LordMontecute and Jᴧgᴧ like this.
  11. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

I do agree - splashing color on a square canvas with explosives can hardly be called art, though people do it and get paid huge sums of money. Just saying that your cube, with the right 'interesting application of color', could certainly move out of the abomination category straight into interesting. Lighting enhancing that color would take it even further. The two together would take minimal time. Shape is just one dimension to the art - color, light, and composition along with canvas all add up. I'd wager with a little effort you could turn that cube into something far more interesting without changing any block's shape.

But I digress - I'm about 95% left-brained, and not an artist. :D

LordMontecute, oojimaflip and Neal like this.
  12. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

Perry Rhodan Kugelraumer all the way.
    https://www.perrypedia.proc.org/wiki/Kugelraumer
    http://www.pr-materiequelle.de/riss/risszeichnung/r355.htm

or the Sol
    [​IMG]

Neal and dichebach like this.
  13. Malekh

Malekh Captain

So i've got a library of vehicles of created for playing the game. I've got a corvette CV that's intended for multiplayer-type games and planetary landings. What i want is a cv capable of making the trip to empyrion, which is my frigate. The outside is roughly done, just need to add some greeble to pretty it up a bit. Also wondering if i shouldn't make it capable of planetary landings, but my gut says no.

Attached Files:

Starwing6 and rucky like this.
  14. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Rear Admiral

Ok ladies and gentlemen,
    after another painting/texturing/building marathon i present you a few teasers of my Atlas project. It will probably be the last before i publish this thing on Steam for everybody to use. I put a stock tier 6 HV for comparison.

NeuesSpiel_6_2017-10-25_00-10-18.png NeuesSpiel_6_2017-10-25_00-10-51.png NeuesSpiel_6_2017-10-25_00-12-59.png

malrose1, Faith, Starwing6 and 7 others like this.
  15. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

It went pretty dang well... attacked a fortress, all the enemy settings are high, in a big spiral path taking a good amount of hits.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As displayed in total HP and components, damage was minimal.
    Mind you I didn't take any plasma cannon fire but the cage wrap was more than adequate for laser cannon and anti-personnel turrets.
    Now off to find something with plasma cannon.

16. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

rucky likes this.
  17. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

So Yeah... found an outpost, strafed side to side nose-on to it for about 3.5 minutes letting the mini-gun turret plink away in response. Took over 2 Dozen solid hits to the nose before the damage won through and chain-fired the spotlights and one small thruster behind the 2 cage layers. I was able to retire from the battlefield in good order merely turning another facing of cage to the fire and driving off.
    [​IMG]

Non-trivial systems damaged
    [​IMG]

lost one small thruster, as stated, and 2 spotlights still had 89% hp on the craft.

Personally I'd Love to think I am on to something but I dunno. anyone else willing to play with the concept?

Starwing6 likes this.
  18. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

Some of PRs Kugelraumer are 3000m diameter.
    Hollow out Akua, put in some XXXXXXXXXXXXXL Thrusters and you can compare... That's not much bigger...

edit: The SOL consists of two 2500m Kugelraumers and 1 cubic part inbetween, that diameter differ, from 800m to 3000m. So the maximum Size the SOL had was 8000m diameter on the longest Axis.

You know what this means?
    You can't land this ship on any planet...
    NO, it's the other way around...
    You can land our PLANETs on it!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Marbod and Neal like this.
  19. Starwing6

Starwing6 Rear Admiral

Earlier in the experimental phase, the MP was copied over from SP and wasn't balanced for resources for a bit, so we even played the SP scenario in MP mode for a couple of starts.

I absolutely love that the new MP scenario is different from the SP because it forces us to make different plans, and explore the solar system again. Resources are in different places, and so are planets! :cool: We always knew the layout of the solar system before, and the change in visibility of the planets didn't affect us. Now we actually need to discover if familiar paths have changed. PLUS three new planets to play and build on!

The custom scenario we play is copied from the Default MP scenario, with regeneration timers extended, and admin cored survival shelter on Akua and Omicron for roleplay (but they are not generous beyond always being safe). Now I'm enticed to learn how to customize a sector to add a custom planet I've been longing to make.

rucky likes this.
  20. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

Former it was: Do I want MORE ressources (and Regeneration) or less... that means MP Scenario or SP...

Now: Do I want to grind to more places first or want I get to needed ressources in my starter system already? ... SP or MP...
    I'm going for MP now...