What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Theurgist

Theurgist Captain

My first full render made while experimenting in Blender. This isn't the animation I'll use, but it explores several features I do aim to use; ie: Textured custom mesh, basic rigging (Turning an Empty placeholder will rotate other linked parts), then timed transforms (rotation speed & moving central textured object). I used REALLY basic textures, but by simply making the shapes fairly interesting it gives it detail, then add in a slightly angled camera and moving light source and it actually turns up something relatively visually pleasing.

Youtube + bad internet = pain... 40 odd mins to upload 7s of video, (only 316Mb, yesh)

2. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Nice work in Blender! It's still my favorite modeling program.

3. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I caught these two characters disturbing the locals on Ningues and they didn't want to come quietly but it didn't matter. They have two choices either give me the name of their Boss or a one way ticket out of the airlock into Space. I heard it's cold out there. lol

Screenshot (1623).png

Screenshot (1637).png

4. DuLux

DuLux Captain

That is some wicked stuff right there!!

Do you guys have any advice for the PURPOSE of this room?
    It was going to be my build area... but I've changed my mind after some serious Drone attacks.

https://imgur.com/a/RrHwI
    [​IMG]

And does anyone have any advice for relieving the ugliness of this exterior:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I tried this... but I'm not totally happy with it:
    [​IMG]
    and besides I'd rather have my O2 hidden UNDER my armoured concrete and not beside it!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  5. LordMontecute

LordMontecute Captain

Last night in Empyrion Galactic Survival...

I decided to have some fun, as on Thursday I lost my job, despite being told I was fantastic at it. It was due to market forces, lack of work coming in, economic downtown, the usual BS.
    Anyway, I didn't want to continue working on anything big, so I decided to make some transportation to go with my castle. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1204855736

20171118223127_1.jpg

It has no real purpose, but was fun to make.
    Then I decided that if he was pulling a cart, I might be able to get more use out of him.

So, I downloaded all of my stress and worries into the cart and....

20171118230306_1.jpg

Turns out I had too many stresses and worries.

Eventually, success http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1204968211
    Horse and Cart.jpg

Wild_XIII, Aurex, ion_storm and 15 others like this.
  6. john.73738

john.73738 Captain

3rd try at a new CV. This one is promising. May not be a total steaming turd like all my others. :) 20171119110605_1.jpg

7. Blaine

Blaine Commander

First time playing again since Alpha 3.0. I spent the last two weeks mostly building a base (while my friends logged on briefly from time to time so we could go bumrush PoIs), but I banged together a small capital ship in my "spare time" and so for the last couple of days I've finally been venturing out to get my hands dirty outside of Akua/Ningues/moons.

Basically, I took this tiny monstrosity out for a proper test drive, built with the Xenosteel we ripped out of that one PoI:

[​IMG]

Almost right away, I stuck two sentry turrets upside-down flanking the exit hatch and ramp on the bottom of the ship, because wow, there are all sorts of nasty aliens out there now on Aitis and so on. The sentries have great FoV from there, so they're pretty effective. You really have to be careful these days. I hid in the ship and sent my drone out a number of times to place small turret fortification BAs for Eres/Zasc, and it's always roasting hot down there, so I darted in out of the ship when I couldn't use my drone (setting the autominers, etc.). It was annoying, but amusing.

Later, I built an elevator and airlock up the middle of the CV so that I could actually reach small SVs landed on the back of the ship. This was very exciting, since you have to run past hot, irradiated thrusters to get there. After that, I stuck an extremely ghetto open, huge ramp onto the back of the ship to drive HVs onto for docking.

Lesson learned: Aside from destroying space PoIs efficiently (which even these few turrets and the rocket launchers are very good at), there's hardly any point in a completely tiny capital ship, because it's very necessary to have convenient SV and HV loading and unloading and preferably a nice landing profile as well. I've got to get me a bunch more Xenosteel so that I can make a proper pocket carrier CV.

8. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

I finished updating my video game castle. Mostly cosmetic updates. Texture changes and such. I'll have to come back later and add more fun stuff to the maze. I did rework the lower levels of the castle though. That's probably my favorite part of the whole thing now.

Tunnel leading into the castle
    [​IMG]

This area was mostly solid before. I figured out where the support column was and hollowed the rest out to make this winding staircase area that leads up past the dungeons and into the castle's cellar.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Theurgist

Theurgist Captain

You forgot something on the stairway area. Make some impossible upside down and sideways routes to give it a truly worrying feeling ^^

LordMontecute, jmtc and Siege Inc. like this.
  10. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

M.C. Escher would be proud of you.
    escher_stairs.jpg

11. Blaine

Blaine Commander

@Siege Inc.

I swear to God, between the medieval stuff you and some other people have posted and the Italian marble (or log cabin, or Japanese avant-garde, etc.) houses on the Workshop, Empyrion has turned out to be better for classical architectural designs than for actual sci-fi.

12. jmtc

jmtc Captain

@Siege Inc. You must have done the last update while I was playing the Castle in-game. Really, really cool. I played the maze through from the gate nearest the Galaga fighter, as that's where I ended up immediately after placing the castle via spawn. I didn't cheat, and didn't look at it from a birds-eye until I reached and fully explored the castle. It was really awesome coming across the towering characters and points of interest at various points through the maze... "Did I turn right or left at the Fygar...? Waitaminute... That Enforcer Robot from Berzerk was over on my right before...!"

I think I caught a glimpse of the Goblin King, and might have heard some Bowie music wafting on the air at a few points. Damn you and your damned trapdoors :)

mazetest_2017-11-19_21-19-48.png

13. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Trap doors? Would I do that? :D

And if you found that you must have gotten the most recent version. Glad to hear you had fun with it!

jmtc likes this.
  14. jmtc

jmtc Captain

It really is a fun construct - very well done. I'd love to see more like it.

I was slightly surprised not to have seen a sign somewhere reading something like, "Thank you! But our princess is in another castle!" :D

Edit - @binhthuy71 Please, no... Don't give them ideas. No Medieval Survival here please! :p

Siege Inc. and binhthuy71 like this.
  15. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Coming soon from Eleon Studios, Empyrion: Medieval Survival.

LordMontecute and jmtc like this.
  16. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Going to have to add that in another update. ;)

jmtc likes this.
  17. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Are you saying that you can resist the thought of flame-farting dragons, crossbows, broadswords, magic carpet transportation and Lizard Mule jerky? :eek:

LordMontecute and jmtc like this.
  18. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

I think classical architecture is easier to do in some ways. We have plenty of examples and the textures support it fairly well at this point(could use some more mosaics/Egyptian/Minoan themed stuff though). I find the sci fi stuff a little harder. It's not as familiar and I think they're really going to need to flesh out the textures more to support that theme.

LordMontecute and binhthuy71 like this.
  19. jmtc

jmtc Captain

Yes, that is probably what I'm saying ;) Well, that, and unless they're ready to hire on a full second team like Keen did, it's probably best not to encourage them. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

binhthuy71 likes this.
  20. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

We have a lot of stone, brick, and wood textures for a scifi game. Many of the others look fine on a vessel and a bit out of place on architecture. I think that Eleon will get around to addressing this when they're closer to Beta. Giving users the ability to use their own texture files would be a big help although it would take some coding to build something that would allow you to successfully import a .png, .tiff, or .bmp, etc. There are some talented people here and I'd like to see them get the opportunity to contribute. There's nothing like seeing something that you created in-game.

jmtc likes this.