What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Blaine

Blaine Commander

You stealing my highly innovative "three boxes attached to each other by sticks" concept, bro? I'll sue!

[​IMG]

I've kinda soured on this design since first posting it. For one thing, all the non-planetary turrets need to be replaced. Not a big deal, but ships parked on the decks take a little more fire during combat than I'd anticipated. Nothing major, and not even any parts shot off assaulting a major drone space base, but it probably needs some bulwarks up front on each box just to absorb some extra fire.

2. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

LOL Great minds think alike but my little survival green Sv is nothing compared to your CV. It looks awesome. It reminds me of a flying space base.

Tyrax Lightning and monktk like this.
  3. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Thanks, Well it's just a screen shot I took of my sv after I warp back to the Akua system. Of course the ice on the helmet is from the character getting too cold. That is how it looked in game when I Warp back to Akua.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  4. Blaine

Blaine Commander

Believe me, no one's more surprised or amazed than I am that some of my designs come out looking pretty cool.

The main ingredient for me is less raw creativity, and mainly just time. Not only experience, but spending dozens or hundreds of hours designing, experimenting, iterating, rotating and messing with blocks, getting every last detail just so... it's ALMOST not worth it, and it isn't for a lot of people who just want to go explore and play. My quickie ships look like your SV, possibly worse.

The amazing ships at the top of the Workshop must have taken an unholy amount of time to build, no matter how much talent was or wasn't involved. I can't even imagine....

Theurgist, Tyrax Lightning and monktk like this.
  5. monktk

monktk Captain

I failed utterly at making a small classic UFO style ship, so I gave up and made this heavily Xcom-inspired flying brick instead ;)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1221441611
    [​IMG]

Might try the UFO again some day, need to rethink how to set up usable entry for it - might need to forgo symmetry to some extent. My problem I think was how married I am to the symmetry, which made it hard to get the proportions as I wanted while still having, y'know, a door and space to actually use the open cockpit inside. Would be super helpful to have a 3x3x3 enclosed cockpit, but oh well. :)

Oh man I need to eat.

Theurgist, Blaine, Siege Inc. and 6 others like this.
  6. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Currently I have been going over my old blueprints and tweaking them. There were quite a few things I had accepted because the game did not have as many block shapes as it does today.

So you go over them, and think about how it would look with sloped spotlights instead of the spotlight behind a window you previously used. Or how would it look with the new thin plate, where you can place spotlights on a CV. You get the drift.

Now we have the new textures, and the ability to rotate textures.
    Do you have any idea how many times I accepted a mis-aligned texture just because there was no way I could change it?

I do have something percolating in the back of my mind for the new small generator CV challenge, but I am still thinking about the details.

7. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

That is a excellent mobile shipyard.
    It also illustrates why spotlight blocks would be useful on a BA.
    Interesting looking, it has more visual appeal than some of my flying bricks. But it's not airtight.

Tyrax Lightning, rucky and monktk like this.
  8. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

That's the kind of thing that makes me think of a CV shipyard. The X3 line of games had some mods with similar structures that looked nice too.

Tyrax Lightning and monktk like this.
  9. monktk

monktk Captain

Thank you! :) Yeah, the outer rooms aren't airtight/oxygenated but aside from the O2 station there's nothing critical in them, nothing that's going to demand a player spend any time in them, anyway - the front and back rooms are entries to the ship. But the central room is ventilated. In Xcom those outer areas would be covered by forcefields, but in Empyrion I have to make due with windows, which means having exterior doors along with the main doors :)

[​IMG]

@Neal: That long, narrow design of yours a page or two back looks fantastic. You post so frequently and they're always these gorgeous, gigantic builds. Just crazy impressive.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Neal, Theurgist and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  10. typhoon01

typhoon01 Captain

I'm just taking the precious gift of Christmas from the master Fluffy I write it publicly so everyone can see it... I thank you very much, maybe you do not know how much you enjoyed it for three years I did not have a gift, a real gift did not get ... and today you donated a gift, very really very much and I appreciate ... from heart I thank you

11. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I wanted to create something bigger this time for the small generator CV challenge, and whipped this out in one day.
    What is wrong with me?:rolleyes:

It is a full mobile base, with a fly-through hangar, crafting, and farming. Handles like a drunken ballerina but can achieve orbit.
    Now for the tweaking, I need to get the weight down.

20171204122736_1.jpg

monktk, banksman45, Theurgist and 4 others like this.
  12. malrose1

malrose1 Commander

The "TFS Warthog" Exp_60151056_Build_Showcase_2017-12-05_11-10-06.png (2nd Carrier craft in the fleet ). At least I have the "Wart" part right......

13. typhoon01

typhoon01 Captain

14. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

15. typhoon01

typhoon01 Captain

I can see them there .. you do not show them ??? o_O

If it did not show you somewhere, it will be a mistake to help me because I do not know Steam

16. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

nope,
    perhaps you've uploaded "for private view" only?
    there are "private", "friends" and "anybody" you have to change EVERYTIME you upload into Steam, as it defaults always to "private"!!!

17. Theurgist

Theurgist Captain

I love what you did with the rear of that to merge the slopes together.. I might have to steal that idea as that is a Seriously useful block merging method that looks great.

monktk and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  18. typhoon01

typhoon01 Captain

I gave the option: Public

19. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

yes that should be the right one

this is the view I still get:

typhoon01.jpg

20. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Captain

I had a bit of time today so I decided to get started on the BA part of the repair station I showed earlier.

NewGame_0_2017-12-04_23-55-24.png
    NewGame_0_2017-12-04_23-55-55.png

There's still some work to be done but it shows what I'm going for.

Wild_XIII, Marbod, Hicks42 and 8 others like this.