What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Huh, thats kinda brilliant. I did not know a player could completely conceal the light and still have it provide function. Thats crazy! Also, the last one is hilarious.

2. monktk

monktk Captain

Ran into the image limit, so doing a bit of follow-up for my garden silliness here.

So there's no sanity checking for the orientation on either the light nor the growth plots. In the case of the light, I actually like that. However, the same is not true for the plants themselves:

lolwut2.jpg

This won't work, no matter how you attempt to orient the plant's placement box.

lolwut3.jpg
    You can't trick it like this for a neat sideways garden, either.

lolwut4.jpg
    It just snaps to a valid position (for certain values of valid in this case)

Missed this one above, covers a somewhat obvious invalid light position relative to the plants:
    lowrelativeposition.jpg

Conclusion:
    A lot of this I actually already suspected but it's all a ton clearer in my head now.

* Placement of the light relative to the space the plant occupies is important. The light affects the 9 (3x3) cubes centered on the cube immediately below the cube it occupies, no matter its own orientation.

* The only cubes which matter in a garden configuration are those directly related to the garden itself. Any cube which does not contain either the light, the plant itself, nor a garden plot may be filled with anything you like, airtight or not. This may allow for more relatively compact gardens in some cases.

* The plants must have a garden plot below them, and will always orient themselves upright.

* Orientation of a garden plot within the cube it occupies does not matter, a plant can still grow from it.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  3. Jenniphurr

Jenniphurr Captain

This is really good to know! I could see this helping for more minimalistic ships trying to hide all that you can.

4. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

It's clever, yep. I used to do compact multi-level gardens for bunker-bases where the light was encapsulated by the next plot-blocks, as the center-block. You can get pretty high-density vertical gardens setup this way for minimal space. Just need an elevator next to them so you can hop off and garden.

5. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Reminds me of "Tokyo Jungle"... wonder if that could temporarily be Exploited to make Tokyo Jungle-lookin Scenarios? XD

dpburke2, Jenniphurr and monktk like this.
  6. Eliteace

Eliteace Captain

LOOKS COOL

7. Jenniphurr

Jenniphurr Captain

Happy Maggot is its name?! LOL Love it!

8. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Well, you can - if you build CV sideways (and are willing to face the other consequences building a sideways CV might entail). Plants are tied to the orientation of the base/vessel.

Nice ''mad Empyrion scientist" lab you have - thanks for sharing your findings :)

9. Track Driver

Track Driver Rear Admiral

My CV Aeolus (named for my first racing sloop) is always being tweaked. Some of you may see the resemblance to CV Prefab Tier 2 upon which it is based. Over the past year or so I have modified it to my personal tastes. I was looking at the Med Bay today thinking it would look better with a Tech Equipment (Deco), Box Large 2 instead of the standard cargo box cube. To my chagrin, i find the Box Large 2 (as well as 1 & 3) hold no more than the Operating Table (btw, it's not a table at all), while occupying the same spacial area.

This does not seem right. I do understand that as deco objects they are not connected to the CP and therefore are different from Cargo Boxes. It shouldn't be a big deal to increase their capacity to correspond to their volume, or, for that matter, make them accessible to the CP.

Please correct ASAP.

Thank you.

2018-02-11.png 2018-02-12 (5).png 2018-02-12 (17).png 2018-02-12 (18).png

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  10. lochigg

lochigg Commander

Published today my small attack fighter with reverse wings and aggressiv look.

Scimitar MK2_01.jpg

The fighter features 8 weapon slots pre-equipped with railguns and plasma cannons. Further more it contains 2 small ammo boxes, 2 large cargo boxes, mobile constructor, 2 fridges, an O2 station behind the cockpit with 3 O2 tanks, 2 generators with 4 fuel tanks and lots of thrusters ... everything covered with one layer of hardened steel.

Scimitar MK2_07.jpg

Have fun ...

Scimitar MK2_03.jpg

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1300245269

11. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

Finished final inspection on the Stratus for @Jenniphurr 's challenge.
    KSV-48 Stratus (2).jpg
    KSV-48 Stratus (7).jpg
    I love Oscutune. Something about cruising low over the waves just makes me really happy.

Na_Palm, Siege Inc., vicomt and 8 others like this.
  12. monktk

monktk Captain

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  13. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Today, I flew off into the sunset...

20180213102930_1.jpg

14. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

The last 24 hours yielded a satisfying amount of smoking wreckage in orbit. The 'Lemur', Thank @Brimstone for the name :p , Strike craft functioned within projected performance envelope leaving a fair amount of mayhem strewn about the field of engagement.

The bases on the moon fared no better. Took a few hits, lost a spotlight (redundant backup behind it survived :p ) after taking many hits from the flubber-lasers and a few big guns that got lucky. All in all Very pleased especially since I minimized my cage armor so it didn't look quite so much like a flying scrap-pile. Though some cracks in the canopy means some is likely going Back on till I get the right mix of protection vs weight and not looking like Poo.
    Current Iteration.
    [​IMG]

15. Tyrax Lightning

Took a HUGE amount of time, but I HOPEFULLY have all my CV Innards painted & textured. Holy hell I sure gave my insides a lot of Nooks & Crannies... fair warning to any would-be Intruders. :p

Still need to fine tune my Exterior Painting & Texturing, get my Motion Sensors Programming done, & Groupings done. Might be several more days till completion. Still, it's my first foray into Size Class 30 territory, so i'm not surprised it's taking so much toil to get done. Of course I have to make a huge Monster... it's just plain who I am. :)

rainyday, dpburke2, Jᴧgᴧ and 2 others like this.
  16. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

@monktk There might be some things you have not tested regarding farming:
    Weather and O2, will grow light above help if changes in sealed room or not?
    Will some equipment (heat & radiation) could influence on growth?
    On CV, will orientation of the vessel in space or in gravity make any difference?
    Gravity generator on/off?
    O2 sealed base, but with water (or other fluids) inside, will that have an impact?

Probably missed some ...

dpburke2 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  17. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

18. Tyrax Lightning

Jenniphurr likes this.
  19. MidasGunhazard

MidasGunhazard Captain

[​IMG]

I'm making a ship of the piracy variety.

Though I've hit a snag. I've been making it with regular steel blocks. Anyone know of a way to convert them all into hardened steel without upgrading them all one-by-one?

20. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

The replaceblocks command should work. Tactician uses it frequently.