What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I accidently found that on planets that do not permit a CV to enter from orbit to planet, I can use teleport console command to get it in and finally land on the planet!!!!

Also, is this working as intended or should I fill a bug report?

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. hound

hound Captain

3. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

Voted & subbed, will have a peek at it when I get home from work.
    That's totally not true. This guy looks like a happy lil' bugger under any circumstance!
    (Seriously though, Sol's got a nice coat of paint but she's far from perfect, and outdated to boot.)

4. Razorwire

Razorwire Captain

Nice!
    But... it won't take a few mates, and a few crates of loot, and warp, which is what I was aiming for. Bare-bones warp shuttle.
    I needed something cheap and quick-to-build to get us back out of the newbie area when our favoured server wipes :D Doesn't even have landing gear, and several critical systems are exposed...

Jenniphurr and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  5. Theurgist

Theurgist Captain

I was inspired by building for the ZeroG challenge, so I ended up making a new SV as my first foray into serious Asymmetry. It had to allow Drone spawning & use from inside, and to allow upgrading via a dedicated Warp Core 'Nacelle', and multiple varying sized 'Hardpoints' to add better weaponry later. Dual cockpit & de-centralised systems placement means no single lucky hit should disable you totally.

This is by no means finished, but I've run outta juice for now and it's looking good enough to share.

I present to you:

- Razorbarb -
    Screenshot_122.jpg
    Screenshot_114.jpg

Screenshot_116.jpg

Screenshot_121.jpg

Screenshot_117.jpg

Screenshot_119.jpg

Screenshot_123.jpg

Screenshot_125.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  6. SirKnumskull

SirKnumskull Captain

Just uploaded my tiny warp SV that I use to escape starter orbits on MP servers, the Falconet Jump:

front_quarter.jpg

It is super small (11 blocks in length, 7 wide and just 5 tall including the landing pads) yet all internal components are actually internal and not hanging out. And it has got enough equipment to qualify for Jenn's challenge, constructor, cargo, fridge, and an oxygen station are all there. :)

As always more pictures on the workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1311792014

edit: size comparison with my submission to Jenn's contest:

size_comparison.jpg

7. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

I'm rarely on the forum these days (till 8.0 hits the fan that is :D)
    but occasional I'm still reading some posts here...

Downvotes.
    This sh!t. Yes, it has gotten me too a few times, and made be indeed a bit angry back then.
    But for the War-Monger, I've checked the stats regulary, and yes, I can confirm (somewhat) there seems to be a four-man-group that consistently downvote as a group (4 downvotes inbetween less than 2 hours).
    Mustang... the same.
    And a few others of mine only I can't say for sure this group was involved
    If they can make better vessels, good for them, and I would take any advise they got for me, but they are only morons never leaving any info/message why they downvoted. Had to get a while to "get" that ;-)

Mega text. But well written.
    Still.
    There is NO - I repeat NO - correlation between time spent on a vessel/structure and it's popularity (votes).
    NONE.

WAR-Monger. 2 Days (~12-14 hours) buidtime. 7300 views / 2000 subs / 82/4 Up-/Downvotes. **** stars.
    Mustang. 1 Day (~7 hours) buildtime. 2500 views / ~400 subs / 39/4 Up-/Downvotes. **** stars.

but for example
    BaseStar Omaron II. ~6-8 WEEKS (~200+ hours) buildtime, configuration, etc... and only with Farmlands Admin promoting it now it got 420 views / 135 subs!
    And I really had spent a lot of time in Creative and Multiplayer Server with additional playtesting in the dozends of hours to make it exceptional in usability and immersive environment (in my personal opinion)!

No, I don't have any clue why some builds are superfast on the the front page (I do, it's called "follower-upvoting" - IF you manage to get very fast to the front page, you almost can be sure to stay there a bit and are GUARANTEED for 1000,2000++ Views), while others - in my personal opinion better, nicer, more feature rich ones - struggle to even get more than 10 views altogether...

Voting, even Views DO NOT have anything to do with actual performance, functionality or form of the vessel / structure!
    Perhaps the Ratio Subs : Views are some kind of indication whether it's accepted/liked or not - based on the FIRST viewing of the blueprint.
    (interesting detail, the Mustang has a really bad 1:6 ratio here! While the other Hover is at 1:3.65 acceptable/in the norm)

(Heck there are 110 revoked Subs on my War-Monger!! Why that?! Reason can be folks have too much subs already, saving that BP in their own library, especially as I haven't updated the blueprint since, or some other)

So, first (and second, third, ANY) you (= all and any builder) should only build things you like to use personally for yourself and NOT for some arbitrary internet votings and only submit for others to download if YOU want to give them these for free, without demanding upvotes, likes or whatever else...

That's difficult, I can only speak for myself, I know that too.

But that being said, you're still right on any other suggestion!

rucky out.

we see us in 8.0 (or sooner :p)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Jenniphurr, Trig, malrose1 and 6 others like this.
  8. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

I think clumsiness sometimes is the inspiration behind great designs.

I really love my Kiwi HV miner, but if I wasn't clumsy in my own unique way, that would have never turned out like this. For that open cabin around the cockpit is really there to "catch" me... except when I forget to close the door and fall out. And yet, even when I have still fallen out, it has been easier for me to get back into this then it was to try get back into my first concepts that used one of the "closed" cockpits. You would think it would be harder... and maybe it is, but my particular problem and skills led to this design. And when I finally found and downloaded the popular Ladybug, I looked at the tiny hole by which you click on the cockpit and inside, can you guess my first thought? "Once I fall out I would never get back in this. It would be impossible for me." If I struggled with getting to and clicking on a standard cockpit, how was ever going to get to where I could click on something through a tiny hole?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1202275417

And strangely, even when I have accidentally fallen out with the nose pointed up and the door open, I still managed to get back in easier than my prior trials at a mining HV. I am very pleased with the Kiwi, even if it was my own flavor of clumsiness that inspired many of the particulars.

And take my Faith HV miner, when I did return to try a standard cockpit, notice how I tried to make it accessible from front, back, top, and even somewhat from underneath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1287024498

I might say I need to reevaluate calling myself clumsy, but keep in mind that I think some of my best work actually was to, what did you call it? Baby proof.

And here's my next two miner HV not yet polished. Each also incorporates elements to work around my particular clumsiness.

The first would look better if I put the open cockpit inside glass or on top of some "floor", but remember my particular clumsiness leads me to want more angles to reach the cockpit...

Creative2_2018-02-24_09-14-16.png

... or an enclosed space for me to "fall" into.

Creative2_2018-02-24_09-18-16.png

9. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

I was just curious if this fit. Success!

Neither of these are finished. But it was nice to drive the Worker up into one of the bays of the Pelican and see it fit, including the bay door closing behind the drills so nothing was poking out.

Creative2_2018-02-24_11-21-55.png

10. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Absolutely Bug Report worthy. :)

Perhaps at the minimum ya could try coating it in Shiny Metal Texture. ;)

Jenniphurr, dpburke2 and Jᴧgᴧ like this.
  11. hound

hound Captain

Ok ...it still feels like putting lipstick on a pig[​IMG]
    Although bases just get better looking all the time...
    [​IMG]

12. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

It reminded me of Cruella De Villes car from the back. A striking style none the less!

13. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Thumbs up for the solar panels as sunshades. Looks like a great place for fishing.

14. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Nice.
    Small side note, if you want to keep the glass theme of the base, use a glass door with a forcefield block behind it to make it airtight.

15. hound

hound Captain

Yes it would make an excellent fishing location...and thanks for the tip robot..so far it has only been placed on akua

16. Eliteace

Eliteace Captain

17. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

18. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

19. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Could not decide what to do tonight so I thought I would turn to studying designs to see if I could discern some ways of improving my own. The crowning achievement in CV design, and that is saying something because I have many, many designs I hold in the utmost regard; is still @Jenniphurr 's Chimera-X

20180224214645_1.jpg

This ticks all three of the boxes nicely - sexy? Check. Utility? Check. Combat? Check.... mostly(SP.) Other boxes that I did not realize I should check? Check.The only oddity is the three super thrusters out the back vs fuel storage, but whatever, easy to replace. God I love this ship. Super small yet every inch is used perfectly. What can I learn... is it the supports? The color contrast... the clever hallways that are both cozy yet functional...

20180224213647_1.jpg (so good)

The brilliant warp drive art...?

20180224213453_1.jpg

Yeah... this gave me some ideas...

Then on to the always inspiring Torment;

20180224214728_1.jpg

Everytime I look at both the Chimera-X and the Torment I get good ideas and goddamn... Smooth, yet broken, uses wildly loud colors yet does not beat up your eyes... and the detailing!

20180224214846_1.jpg

20180224214856_1.jpg

What can I learn... what can I learn... Hmmmm... yeah, I think I see something.

BP's in question:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=806456717
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=957799002&searchtext=Chimera+x

I loaded several others but did not get a chance to walk over them again. Still, an interesting night of investigations.

20. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

Ooh, that's right, Jenn's Torment. Took a sub on it aswell some time ago. It inspired me to add couple ships on my "Abandon All Hope" series.
    At the time i was juggling to get that form right, spotted her Torment and was like : "O Yeahhh!"
    As i finished nr 4 i went back to the torment and turned it in to a roleplay sort of addition. The form was there, but the handling wasn't.
    Fiddled around with its propulsion and blackened it to fit the Dark Legacy theme and build a throne seat.
    Since it was made from normal steel and lots of important internals were pretty much out in the open, i figured it would serve as a political carrier with some self defense. So no warrior class. Given it looks majestic i thought it would fit the role of the ...

Ambassador
    oeleboele_2018-02-25_12-54-38.png
    oeleboele_2018-02-25_12-54-49.png oeleboele_2018-02-25_12-56-44.png oeleboele_2018-02-25_12-56-53.png oeleboele_2018-02-25_12-57-06.png

...to carry around the ambassador talking negitiations... obviously :)

Haven't used it actually to be honest, maybe some day it will serve its purpose.
    Would be great if used with the other ships of the series. One can dream, right ?

oeleboele_2018-02-25_12-53-29.png

From left to right :
    - A.A.H. : lvl 12 fighter light armorded, 10 guns
    - A.A.H.2 : lvl 15 fighter better armored, 14 guns
    - A.A.H.3 : lvl 20 fighter heavely armored, 16 guns, bigger cargo
    - A.A.H.4 : lvl 20 fighter heavely armored, 22 guns, less cargo
    - Ambassador.