What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Starsunder

Starsunder Ensign

If you are on Chrome, Click upload, then look at the Far right of your Browser Search Bar, you will see a Grey Shield, Allow Scripts and uploads should work again.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. Starsunder

Starsunder Ensign

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Captain

I dunno I think symbols and such only have the power we give them. People can be hateful under any symbol. look at pepe its hateful, racist, bigoted or funny, irreverent and innocent depending on who draws the meme. But for now its forever a hate symbol because people have let it become one. They steer away from a silly cartoon frog because the very use brands them with an idiology even if the message they try to project doesn't because of the power we give it! It could be taken back at any time and all it would take is for people to use the image like they always did and ignore the hateful idiots.

4. JDaremo Fireheart

JDaremo Fireheart Captain

. . . TL : DR all the babble

I wish people would learn the meaning of symbols before jumping to conclusions.
    Without knowing intent, people automatically drew their own conclusions about a symbol that existed in religions around the work for hundreds of years before that nutbar used it.

Actually, it was only their Arian stuff that did. have a look at the economic impact on Germany during that period, and don't focus on the destructive side. For all their faults, they pulled the country out of economic depression. We just don't like how they did it.

Now . . . Let's get back to Empyrion & Building some Really Cool Stuff!!!!

5. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

Political "discussions" on the Empyrion forum. I suppose, no thanks to assTrumpet, it was inevitable. :(

*walks away*

Tyrax Lightning and malrose1 like this.
  6. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Guys, lets not pirate this thread (again).
    Please keep the discussion on topic. You can always open a separate thread if you want to start a different discussion.

7. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

How long have I associated the swastika with the horrible atrocities of the Nazis from World War II? I had to grow up and leave the education system before I learned the Nazis stole from an even older symbol. They twisted the symbol to give their movement the appearance of benevolence and morality. In the end, they destroyed and tainted what once a symbol of something good. Even though I learned more about the origins of the swastika, I still avoid the symbol for good reason. In part, because it is a reminder that the twisting of symbols and words to make movements seem good and benevolent happens even today. How many people jump onto movements without asking what the price or consequence of that movement would be if it really did succeed? Many movements can easily sound fair and just, but if you step back and honestly assess what the cost really is, or consequences, you might find that fair and just really have little to do with the cost and/or the outcome.

8. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

@Kieve I started work on the Ebon Hawk in earnest last night. I got into such a groove building I was up until dawn but it's starting to look less like a jumbled pile of legos and more like a ship. I ended up starting with the front and I've been building from the inside out. Seems to be going well although it's been a challenging build.

I found a pic of a different model Dynamic class freighter that's kind of cool though and now I want to make that too.

Comparison:
    Ebon Hawk
    6utrh.jpg

Redesign of a Dynamic class freighter someone made:
    dynamic_class_freighter_by_stephen_daymond-dbncnip.jpg
    It has different engine pods, the roof over the middle corridors isn't sunken down, the cockpit is higher, and it has this low slung cargo bay that can open up. It also looks like there's a window on that section to the right of the cockpit. I haven't been able to find a deckplan for it yet but it's kinda cool. Not sure I could make it work with the current build though. It would be a serious redesign. Maybe as a CV though.

If you had a choice which one would you prefer? :)

Edit: Teaser pic of the work so far
    Finished the hull today. The interior is mostly laid out and I'm starting to go through and flesh it out now. I had to improvise a bit to make an entry ramp that works. I could use more ramp sizes and maybe a swing ramp like the Falcon and other Star Wars ships are so fond of using.
    Area 71.2_2018-04-09_22-35-19.png

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Captain

I've always seen the Nazi ragime as a lesson in the dangers of othering a group of people. They didn't really set themselves out as benevolent though they did set themselves as moral. They othered people like the jews, gypsies etc blaming them for all germans problems. Once you've set out a group as the other you can dehuminize them and justify damned near anything as long as you take it slowly pilling one small brutality onto another so that people can say it was necessary and convince themselves they are working towards an end goal that is greater than themselves, or till they realise it's to late and to speak out lest they become the other as well.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  10. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

I apologize. I've been posting on a certain forum for many years where it's quite common for a thread to go off topic and then eventually swing back around (if it ever gets back on topic). Mostly people just lose interest and stop posting or there is no new news to report, then the thread lies dormant until someone posts an update to the original topic.

Not trying to come up with excuses. Just saying that all I need when I do go off topic for too long is a gentle nudge. Like yours. :)

Jenniphurr and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  11. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

waiting for my blueprint to be finished.
    Also still digging my dining room out the mountain it spawned into

12. Jenniphurr

Jenniphurr Captain

13. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

14. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

Why when I try to upload pics for my stuff the past couple days it always fails to work? Oh, well. Might be discouraging, but I don't think that will stop me from sharing my recently completed blueprints. And for tonight, that is the Chick HV. Smaller than a large CV/BA cargo box and yet holds 11 large cargo boxes of its own. I figure at some point they'll correct this apparent gimmick taking advantage of the difference in virtual sizes and carrying capacity. But even then, a small, cheap hover vehicle that I can load up with goods might be nice.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1357479768

No advanced materials required, and it should be able to climb walls in 1 standard gravity... for when I am looting down inside a POI?

FTB Creative_2018-04-09_19-42-11.jpg

While painting all the cargo boxes the same color might have looked real clean, this is actually the final puzzle piece to the storage on the Pelican. So I went a bit wild, like the freight containers of the Pelican itself.

FTB Creative_2018-04-09_18-48-18.jpg

Sure, you can reach the fuel tank from underneath the HV, but what if it ran out of power first? Access for the fuel tank.

FTB Creative_2018-04-09_18-48-35.jpg

To illustrate how long the Chick has been on my docket, notice that the Pelican included marked parking spots ever since I posted that CV to the workshop. With 4 marked parking spots, that would be up to an additional 44 large cargo boxes--actually far in excess to the storage boxes included on the Pelican itself.

FTB Creative_2018-04-09_18-52-09.jpg

15. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

16. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

@dpburke2 re: Steam pic uploads: it's not just you. It's fubar for pretty much everyone at the moment.

17. Jenniphurr

Jenniphurr Captain

Here is a protip for people having issues uploading photos onto the workshop.

Use Internet Explorer - sign into your steam account and then Blamo! You are able to add photos. Hence why my above Charon-X has pictures tied to them.

Thanks to @jrandall for passing this info on.

18. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Internet Exploder? Bleh.
    I had been also trying in Google Chrome with no luck, I will try your suggestion.

---edit---
    I tried in Microsoft Edge (Windows 10 user).
    Nope, guess I'm still waiting for the ticket I submitted.

---another edit---
    I finally managed to upload some screenshots in Firefox. <sigh>

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  19. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

[​IMG]
    -I (and I think, many other people) love the Ebon Hawk specifically, courtesy of KOTOR and its sequel. In that regard, accuracy is key. Given its role in the game, it's less a "ship" than it is a home, so of course the more familiar things people can point to and say "ah, I remember this bit!" the better it'll feel.
    -The "redesign" version isn't bad though, and would probably make for an excellent "Empyrion" large SV, in the sense that instead of being a slave to accuracy and detail, you've got a free hand in making it as functional as it is beautiful, so from a gameplay perspective it'd probably be a lot more useful - rather than a simple showpiece.

20. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

It wasn't working for me. In fact nothing is. I can't even upload them directly from the Steam client.

dpburke2 and Tyrax Lightning like this.