What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Kyrt Malthorn

Kyrt Malthorn Captain

Wow, I never tried that before... cool!

Tyrax Lightning and Jenniphurr like this.
  2. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

Haven't played in almost a week, recovering from being sick last weekend. Right now the game won't load because apparently I need to update my drivers....

Today, I may have answered a question puzzling me. Why was my first mining HV still getting views and my second mining HV since stopped getting new unique views? The second one makes sense that as it got older that it slowly fell further back on the HV pages, and with that so too did the new views dwindle. That was what I expected. Even search results can still apply those common sorting options. So why was my even older mining HV still getting unique visitors?

While I have been enjoying the slow, steady increase in the number of unique viewers of my first mining HV, I began to wonder how it was even being found. Doing a search for “miner” pulls up 27 pages* currently. You’ll find popular options like The Ladybug easily, but after looking at all 27 pages* it is clear that neither of my mining HV can be found that way**. Then I tried some different search terms: “mining” (36 pages*) and “mining drill” (15 pages*). Although you find The Ladybug using “mining” as the search term, looking for “mining drill” failed to include The Ladybug. In these alternate searches, I think I learned how people are finding my creation.

Both of my creations are buried in the pages from the “mining” search. So it is possible, but doesn’t seem probable that this is where I am getting the views. However, “mining drill” only pulls my first mining HV. Suddenly, I am thinking that this is the search that has been gaining me a small but steady number of views these many months later.

Turns out that The Ladybug description has the words “miner” and “mining” already, but the six “mining drills” included in the blueprint are not mentioned anywhere in the description at the moment. Having the term in the comments may not be good enough. Someone actually referred to my first mining HV as a “miner” in the comments and yet my blueprint still didn’t show up in the “miner” search. While some results I don’t understand, it appears that to be sure, the search term must be somewhere in the name or the description of the workshop item.

Now The Ladybug is very popular, so missing out on a more selective search is probably no big deal there. As for me, this is an important lesson for my mining HV submissions. I will be updating my second mining HV description accordingly. I think my odds are better if I make sure all my mining HV actually refer to their mining device(s) in the description. In this case, mining drills.

Not sure how I could apply this to my other blueprints, but at least for my mining HV this lesson has value. A lesson I share here knowing that many probably already knew the basics, but for those of us who are the small fry just knowing that “mining drill” gives us better odds might be helpful. Referring to mining drills (plural) in the workshop description also works fine.

By the way, I will be referring to both my mining HV as a "Miner HV" somewhere in their descriptions. I figure that they’ll fall way down on the “miner” search pages so they’ll got lost there…. Unless the search term is “miner hv” which turns up only 15 pages* for now.

For whatever it is worth, giving away the trick I just learned.

*All page counts based on searching hover vessels only and set to 30 per page.

**By the time I posted this, I had already tested updating my second mining HV and now it is just a page or so after my original mining HV in a "mining drill" search result.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  3. Jenniphurr

Jenniphurr Captain

So I am looking to build a Orbital space station for my ZeroG server. Wanting to make a world spawn station for people to spawn onto. So in that regard it is like a Orbital supply station with a small network linking up some surface ZeroG buildings.

I started with I think of the prefab space stations. (Forgive me I do not know who is the original creator and would love to know) Also using the cargo module that works with Charon-X and also reworking some of the Drop-Bases as some make shift cargo bays. This is what I have come up with so far.
    [​IMG]
    Like with many things this is always subject to changes, this is really me just throwing ideas at a wall to see what sticks. I like the direction but feels bottom heavy to me. I am also unsure of what to do with the SV pads on each side. Maybe solar arrays? I don't know, thoughts?

4. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

Got my drivers updated and so I got to play the game for a couple hours. Now the racing HV for my Dragonfly Industries collection is finished online. I seriously debated making this my official entry back then, but I did like the Rail a little bit more. So I finished the Rail as my official entry and this one waited until now to actually get finished.

[edit] How did I get the wrong link here? It wasn't the page I had open.... Correcting, I hope.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1383741250

Not the best yaw rate among my racing concepts, but after much practice I was finally able to take some hairpin turns without crashing into the walls. But that was already a couple weeks ago. Not sure I would avoid crashing into the walls without a "refresher course".

Racers Creative_2018-05-11_21-03-07.jpg

The forward thrusters are placed to the outside because they have more hit points than the actual blocks. In other words, they'll survive my terrible driving a bit more than the basic blocks.

Racers Creative_2018-05-11_21-00-35.jpg

Most of my racing HV used a big block of thrusters in the back for acceleration. Here I probably have more than any of my other racing HV, but I broke them up into the four groupings instead of one large array. I liked the result and it is why I almost made this my official entry in the contest.

Racers Creative_2018-05-11_21-01-08.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  5. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Needs more thrusters. :D

Tyrax Lightning and dpburke2 like this.
  6. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

It's a good start. It doesn't seem to me to be too bottom-heavy, necessarily, as it is heavy to one side. I'd start with mirroring the "pods" first, then adding features in tiers- habitat levels, greenhouse levels, solar displays, assorted docks, etc. Here's an example of a station I've been cobbling together off and on from prefabs for personal use:

20180512083532_1.jpg
    20180512083602_1.jpg
    20180512083655_1.jpg

Different sections, like layers in a cake... top to bottom: control tower, greenhouses, habitat/vendor level, small vessel docks, mid-size vessel docks, CV docks, with solar panels on booms out of the lane of traffic

7. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

Decided to re-engage my creativity in Emp, and build an A8 version of my default personal SV.

upload_2018-5-12_17-37-6.png

8. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

That one wouldn't by any chance have been flown by a guy named Carter, would it?

9. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

Well, many people have flown this model, but Carter is certainly the best pilot she's seen...

Tyrax Lightning and Kassonnade like this.
  10. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Nice... An Alpha build for an Alpha build.... ;)

11. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

Today I mostly worked on a lvl 5 fuller-featured base for the BBB
    20180512160415_1.jpg
    I'll test it for SI stability and then publish it whenever Steam Workshop decides to respond again.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  12. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

It seems to be updating, just giving you an error message. After checking out a complaint about my Emergency Greenhouse Pod they included with 8... seems someone cut off the bottom of the pod so it won't hold atmo :rolleyes:. Since I was about to suggest the guy just download the Workshop version, I decided to go ahead and upload my latest personal version at the same time (I changed one switch for both grow lights to separate switches, and added switch-controlled "maintenance" hatches over the solar capacitor)... anyway, kept getting error after error about upload failure, but when I looked at the actual Workshop page, it was updated...

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  13. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

this part is the main problem for me it wont load

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  14. -Dagger-

-Dagger- Lieutenant

I have build a small CV inspired by the "Dual Small Generator CV" challenge. It meets all criteria except for the dual small generators. I have used one large generator instead, as two small ones would have redlined.

What do you think about it? The exterior needs still to be textured, everything else is finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a comparison between my last ship (Artemis - small carrier) and this one (Hermes - I'm not sure about the class yet)

[​IMG]

15. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

Finished the Outpost, Mk. I for the Triple-B
    [​IMG]
    A bit pricey. However a Well rounded base constructed with future upgrades in mind *Stare at it a bit you will get it.*

16. Starwing6

Starwing6 Rear Admiral

Last night we began another new 8.0 Exp adventure. Our faction grew by one :) When the adventure started, only myself, @Friendly Timo and @Fractalite were online. We spawned into the admin shelter that Timo built, and grabbed our bonus items from our lockers. Having played this seed the day before, we knew where the Wreckage was--so we headed over there to get our survival gear and ride our bikes back to the shelter by nightfall. The plan was to overnight in the starter biome, collecting resources to make the base starter, some blocks, solar capacitor, and solar panels. Our chosen base location is near a forest and it can get chilly there! So we wanted a sealed room as soon as possible.

Here are the sights that kept distracting me on my way back to the admin shelter!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got to work after that and I spent the rest of the game session drilling for Sublevel 1. :cool: Going back online in a moment!!

17. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

Got room for one more? o_O

Tyrax Lightning and Jenniphurr like this.
  18. Starwing6

Starwing6 Rear Admiral

I'm sorry, it's a private server. We're very shy and keep to a small group for everyone's comfort.

19. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I really like that. Beautiful work.

Hicks42 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  20. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

Yeah, that's why I wanted to apply. I FULLY understand. It's a safety thing.

I'll live vicariously, then. :D