What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I finished replacing the ramps on all my CV builds and uploaded the new versions.

After that, I decided to make a quick 4-person HV.
    I need to texture it, but this is the first (rough) draft.

20190127200804_1.jpg

2. The Tactician[ Λ ]

The Tactician[ Λ ] Rear Admiral

very cool design just dont get shot

3. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Pretty much, it's not armored.

4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Teaser video of Dead class planets for my scenario Project Eden!

I intentionally left out some of the major POIs from this video this time around so they can still be a surprise for survivalists to find.

Dead planets suffered some kind of catastrophic event in their distant past, rendering all life on the planet extinct. Ruins of a technologically advanced civilization can be found here, providing ample opportunity for salvage for any willing to do the work.

Dead planets may contain the wreckage of small vessels that can be rebuilt and flown again and have been outfitted for unique roles, such as planetary mining or long-term space exploration.

Hopefully they are planets that are encouraging and rewarding to visit and explore.

5. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

So, been playing around lately… comming up with a Production CV.. heck I'm a nomad…
    Now.. thanks to some math from @geostar1024 from this thread: https://empyriononline.com/threads/mass-and-engines.47057/#post-292520

I NEED at least 51 Container Controllers at max limit, but 64 would be more prefered.
    It MUST defeat 3g, but defeating 5g would be more prefered.

This said, lets get the numbers for minimal and optimal amount of thrusters….

51 * 320'000 = 16'320 kt
    64 * 320'000 = 20'480 kt

3G = 30m/s^2
    5G = 50m/s^2

To know what an existing ship can do it is:
    Thrust (MN) / Weight (KT) = Acceleration (m/s2) / 10 = Gravity defeating

To know what a 'to be built' ship should be able to do, it is:
    Weight (KT) * Acceleration (m/s2) = Thrust (MN)

So we have 2 maths, minimal:
    16300 kt * 30m/s^2 = 489000 / 800 (XL) = 611.25 XL Thrusters

and optimal would be:
    20480 * 50 = 1024000 / 800 = 1280 XL Thrusters

Keep in mind, these amounts of thrusters are just downward thrust to lift off...
    This does NOT include any thrusters to any other side!

Just for these 'few' Cargo 'boxes'.....
    20190128113539_1.jpg

I'm dead….
    Even using the middle value of around 900, is a value beyond possible with thrusters of this size.

That's what I loved at the 'old style', one could build 'after feeling' - and it worked, now (with an attemp to) building with math in Background, it is just frustrating…

It's so easy to fill the 320k.....
    --> https://empyriononline.com/threads/mass-and-engines.47057/#post-292543

6. The Tactician[ Λ ]

so i made a small compact CV but its to thin, have to start all the way over ugh

Tyrax Lightning and Ann|e Noa|m like this.
  7. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Cool video. I like the music.

8. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I finished off my boredom build and decided to christen it the Puddle Jumper.

An unarmored 4-seater civilian transport with a single minigun turret for defense.

[​IMG]

9. The Tactician[ Λ ]

very cool

10. Marbod

Marbod Commander

Some Days ago i start my first Survival Arid Game...everything is fine...and i decide o try a more nomad start...i was starting my "Home HV"

Like everytime...to big...thats why i build a small Explorer HV "The Explorer Mark I"...Nothing Fancy...2 Gatlings, a fridge and 1000 of storage (man this new volume System...my builds getting bigger and bigger)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1637876109

...and then i realize i dont have Promethium only bio fuel at the moment, i want a harvester...ok i build one...oh i need a Harvester box/controler...no place...ah i forgot a WiFi block...screw you

Ok here is the Explorer Mark II...now i will recycle this Oportunity Base and build my Home Base HV...or directly a CV...decisions, decisions.
    [​IMG]

and before i forgot this was the view after Landing with the Escape Pod :rolleyes:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1637874965

11. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

12. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Not having as much time to play as I once did, however, today I finally made my first warp jump in 9.x! My CV is built almost exclusively from salvaged parts, the Thrusters, RCS and generators as well as pretty much every other device were all found / recovered from wrecks. It's got plenty of space for my two HV's and SV though, which is cool.

Arriving at a snowy world and entering the atmosphere finds me very close to an "Abandoned Drone Base" POI. Nice, I love the various abandoned POI's that have been created. However, I'm having troubles I'd not usually experience with such a POI. Firstly, the three defending invisible Drones were a bit of a pain - they'd only render if I was within 50 metres (at most) away so I couldn't see them. They'd vanish if I moved away again - which I had to do as you don't really want to be within 50 metres of three Rocket Drones while in a squishy CV. Thankfully though my (very) basic CV's Sentry Turrets were still able to deal with them, and it was nimble enough to dodge the couple of rockets launched my way - they need to be made a bit faster you know.

The local air space now being clear, I land right next to the POI - quite flat, though still on top of a small mountain - and proceed into the POI. I hear that nasty screaming noise those scorpion-like critters make and encountered two right away. Luckily I was able to take them out from a safe vantage point. One was level 10 the other level 12 and both were utter bullet sponges...not sure that makes for fun gameplay.

Exploring a little more - just around the outside - I found a spawn location for these critters. Time and time again I'd see them spawn in a certain location, however, there was NO spawner there. I'm used to the invisible spawners many POI's have, they're easy to locate if you see the critter / NPC appear of course. Plus many POI designer seem to pop them on blocks with a different texture to the surrounding ones to help. My problem is, despite finding two separate spawn locations for these critters now, neither has a spawner that can be shot to disable the stream of critters coming from them. I even use the Drone while having a Multi-tool equipped to check the blocks individually - I've used this method in the past when not sure exactly where a critter is spawning - yet this too left me none the wiser!

I'm currently super cautiously exploring this POI as I'm totally unable to take my usual approach of clearing each spawn point as I encounter it. As such, I'm constantly retracing my steps as critters spawn behind me from some invisible location. I suspect the spawners might be behind other blocks and the critters are somehow clipping through...which is a bit cheesy if deliberate!

Anyway, thought I'd share this little experience, and perhaps ask for advice on how to find these hidden spawners that are causing me so much trouble! When it takes at least five full T2 Pulse Rifle clips to take these critters out...well, it's not so much fun. I love a challenge, but bullet sponges aren't fun - especially as these guys seem to be able to shrug off my attack and keep coming most of the time...luckily I've perfected the GTFOOTW manoeuvre :)

Edit: I've destroyed the blocks around where these critters are spawning, yet they still spawn! Are these guys being teleported in my some other means? This is sorta spoiling the POI for me, as I cannot secure my position at all.

Scoob.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  13. Ann|e Noa|m

Ann|e Noa|m Captain

Another SV sees the light of day... The NSI Vargur.

Made this to take out POI's on planets i don't have a HV to do so on. Was originally planning to make a smaller one, but hey.. when one starts it is sometimes hard to stop building :D (it still is fairly small though, only a class 2).

Workshop-link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1638477851

20190128225030_1.jpg

20190128224854_1.jpg

Somehow this texture seems worse on pictures than in game (for me at least). I like it on combat-vessels since it looks so...umh..combat'ish :p

Also... yeah, visible warpcore for the win...
    20190128233307_1.jpg

14. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Wow! Amazing design!

Tyrax Lightning and Ann|e Noa|m like this.
  15. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

The spawners themselves have changed but it seems these have not been updated yet. Will go bang on pots and pans and get Hummel to update them. :)

Thank you for the report!

Edit: Although, to be clear, there will still be instances when infinite spawning will occur. :eek::cool: Watch your back.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  16. Ann|e Noa|m

Ann|e Noa|m Captain

Had the EXACT same experience with the same POI in my survival-game. I am used to the thin-plate-spawner on one of those pads outside, but this time there was no spawner there... (i shot it repeatedly to no avail) yet the dang scorpions spawned.
    Took a small stroll into the complex and had the same experience you had so i said to myself "nuh huh" and ran out like a scared little girl and left the POI.

I am all for hard poi's and do like a challenge, but without being able to destroy those spawners as you venture further into that poi i gotta admit i do not stand a chance without spawning in from factory my HV-turrets and other cheesy tricks.. and to be fair, if i have to resort to that type of strategy i rather leave the poi's alone.

Hopefully this is just a bug and not intended gameplay

17. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Hey Fractalite,

Yes, I do dimly recall reading that something had changed with spawners, but I cannot recall details - I've not had much game time of late.

I'm not against infinite spawning in essence, but in this instance it's really taken all the fun out of a POI assault for me. I far prefer the old "hidden" spawner approach, either via invisible spawners (cheesy) or, ideally, via carefully placed spawners. I.e. those on ceilings, behind trap doors etc. that's what provides a fun POI assault challenge for me. Not magically appearing bullet-sponge critters.

I admit, I just backup up my save and went crazy with the Debug AR to alleviate my frustrations :)

Regarding "infinite" spawns... On a POI like a theoretical "barracks" having troops streaming out of a couple of doorways would be quite cool, as long as killing the core stopped the flow. That'd be a more direct assault type thing though, once you're through the troops, the Core is fairly easy to take out. However, having infinite spawns from seemingly random locations, like with the POI in this example, doesn't work for me.

Scoob.

18. Ann|e Noa|m

Ann|e Noa|m Captain

Yah.. thats ok, but not the scorpions :D they are the worst of everything one can encounter in Empyrion.. by a longshot :p
    Hard enough to survive any initial spawns of those

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  19. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

The Alien Scorpions are buggy - much of their body cannot be hit. Actually, it's worse than that, much of their body is immune to weapons fire. I tested using the Debug Assault Rifle - which does 10k damage FYI - and if I hit the Alien Scorpion in the right place, so it's head or some parts of its torso - it'd die instantly. However, if I hit it elsewhere I'd do no damage, get no blood spatter effect but the block behind it took no damage. I.e. my shot wasn't missing otherwise the blocks behind the critter would have been ripped to shreds.

Scoob.

20. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Its good to see you playing again Scoob. Will describe some things for you and others that might want to do some POI and/or scenario designing.

The flat spawners have changed such that when placed in creative game mode you can now see what is underneath them and texture what is underneath them but they are no longer targetable in single or multiplayer and allow the textures of the blocks underneath through. This is off-set by the new setting "Static" that is found in the device menu in the control panel when designing with them. All spawners except for Zirax are now going to be using the new flat spawners but with with "static" mode checked or toggled. The Zirax will still use the pad spawners as they are used to indicate teleporting or cloning.

As far as infinite spawning - yeah. The barracks description is a perfect example. Another example would be something like; lets say, towards the end or perhaps middle of a POI you needed to get from point A. to point B. Perhaps two doorways, but they cross a cave-in that could be indicated with the new filler blocks or the destroyed blocks. Crude visual:

Great fun.jpg

This picture lacks depth and imagine you are looking "down" on the scene. The lines moving horizontally to the right are there to indicate the "lanes" the enemies will spawn in and the area the "sensor" is set to detect(although the enemies will collapse on the player.) As long as you are in the area, the spawners will be set to "follow" the sensor and enemies will stream from the wall(lets say nightmares - the screamy dudes.) The image of the broken blocks stack on each other in the area to the left should make it look like they are appearing and crawling through the rock to get you. Granted, it will be imperfect and will need some assistance with the ole imagination, but chances are pretty good you will be fighting for your life and thus too busy to notice. It would also likely need tweaking - 3x3 wall of spawners is 9 enemies coming at you and that might too much for single player, but then very comfy for multi etc etc. You get the idea though; I am with you, there are some cases when the infinite spawns are going to be used.

As far as the invisible spawners set to static being used as traps.... well.... that is still fair game in the structures that are deemed to be "hard" difficulty. :eek::cool: With the inability to shoot them and thus disabling the trap, they are more useful than ever. BUT, the same rules apply as before the change to the flat("plate") spawner; we can cheese, but it must be "theme'd" cheese. Meaning; enemies appearing to come out of grates, cesspools, etc, are fair game, but a flat area that is just metal plating textures or related is not. If you find any that are designed this way, please let me know and I can get rid of them or add something to give an alert player a heads up.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Fracky