What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Almost done patching the Falcon up. I just need to finish texturing the interior and she'll be ready to fly. :D

Tyrax Lightning and Slam Jones like this.
  2. ragingradish

ragingradish Ensign

Watching sunset from the control tower (Akua survival mode)

[​IMG]

3. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

SV Attempt #4 went splat too & i've given up on it for awhile... I seem to be in some kinda SV Funk, & am gonna try to break it by leaving my Comfort (& Skill) Zone & attempt a 'For Fun' Asymmetrical Vehicle. Plotting & Scheming on it is currently in progress.

Fractalite likes this.
  4. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Hey all,

Hmm, seems my update from yesterday didn't post properly..well, at all cos it ain't here lol. Ah well, edited highlights of yesterday and then todays then...

I wasn't really feeling my current MP Server last night, so I did some more tweaking to Akua's playfield.yaml and started a new super-super-hard game with minimal resource deposits - like 2-3 of each, low yeilds. I also set myself a rule not to camp out in the first Titan wreck section I encounter - so, no dropping a core and having a base that's not attacked, other than by random drones and reinforcements.

I stuck to this rule, simply hiding in the Titan wreck section I found first while I salvaged and gained enough concrete to build. I fought the plentiful drones and ran out of ammo several times - isn't it odd how I'm overflowing with pistol ammo now, every drone drops it, yet at the start very few drones drop ammo lol. Finally crafted an assault rifle, then promptly ran out of Magnesium! Had to make a mad dash to get just enough, luckily my mining hole mid me from the drones.

I think one of my tweaked settings worked - this section of the Titan wreck was home to three drones initially, and every time I took down one, very quickly another replaced it. Taking down three in rapid succession (thanks Assault Rifle) meant three more arriving shortly afterwards. This kept on for quite some time - I lost count - but the drones did stop eventually.

Anyway, with rocks gathered from excavating the wreck - got a few plants and ingots - and water from my Water generator placed in a lake a little ways off, I managed to create about 1,500 concrete blocks to start my base. I'd already picked my location. It wasn't far from the Titan section, near to the lake I mentioned but on a hill. It overlooked the lake, a forest and the Titan section and a large, open valley to the north.

I dug a shallow hole in the hill, and promptly ran out of Bio fuel - no seaweed to be found nearby - but it was enough to bury the base starter block and surround it in concrete. I placed a fuel tank (smallest, all I could created at my level) basic Generator and a Large Constructor I'd created earlier just so I could start creating some things I needed the survival constructor could not make. Even before I powered on I got the attack warning lol. Assuming I'd have a few minutes - last game I had a 5 minute warning - I was surprised when, just 30 seconds later, a drone was approaching.

I took it down easily enough with the Assault Rifle, it approached from the open plains to the North, so I went out to meet it. Took two full clips from the Assault Rifle though as I wasn't very accurate this time lol.

It couldn't have been 10 minutes later when I got another warning, this time two drones approaching and my base was still barely started. I took out these two drones too, but took some hits. Several more attacks came in subsequently, but no more than three drones, then they petered out entirely - must have bodged a setting or something. Ah well.

Anyway, I continue to build up my base, going for a large octagonal design with lots of windows - you'd not believe the drone loot I had, I could build lots. I kept my first area, slightly inside the hill, for crafting and created a second floor which was the full area of the base. I had a central room for crops (that was the plan) but an open area all around it full of windows, so I could see in all directions. Nice. I then built another floor, but not taking the full base area, I left a wide balcony area to place guns ultimately. This next floor was going to be my Hangar, so I built it 6 blocks high and used one of the larger hangar doors. The walls of this hangar were mostly windows, so I could look out on to the balcony.

I then built a lift to the roof...and then added another floor, again full of windows lol. The roof of this floor was going to house another turret eventually. Anyway, I'm getting waaaay ahead on myself - at this time only the foundation for the next floor was in place, I was still building out the octagonal shape...

Now, as seems to be a theme in my games of late, I'd been having a critter problem - namely Night Raptors, the humanoid alien bugs and Plant Monsters. They'd been really hassling me as I did my build. I had no real protective walls up yet, so I place a Sentry Turret covering the area the alien humanoid bugs had been approaching from - the forest area on the way to the Titan section.

No sooner had I placed this turret, than I got an attack warning - I'm figuring out what the various attack trigger options mean now!! So, I had a good 150 round for the AR, this shouldn't be a problem... lol.

It was a problem. A huge problem. No less than SIX drones came to attack my base. I had no turrets - the Sentry was in entirely the wrong place - so it was down to me. I took down two drones before the concentrated fire of the rest killed me. I respawned nearby and dashed for my base. The sight of the four remaining drones all hammering my base was...disconcerting. I rushed for my backback got it and somehow snagged on the terrain and couldn't move. I died again, probably for the best lol. I respawned again, ran to cover - my base is a building site, not much else - and tried to launch the drone to get my pack. It was having a temperamental moment and was refusing to launch if I was anywhere near my cover, irrespective of the direction I faced. Got it to launch eventually, but got shot up pretty bad.

Taking cover, such as it was, once again, I equipped my AR and went to work. I managed to take down the remaining drones with a sliver of health left. It's getting dark, so I loot quickly and head for the entrance - basically any number of the gaping holes in this WIP base. And I get jumped by a Night Raptor and killed. Arse! lol.

I respawn, get my backpack - tricky that was - killed the Raptor, shot its corpse a few times, snagged 4 meat (nice) and then headed back to base. I inspected the base, expecting LOTS of damage - my base is just Concrete after all, and while the Core is buried, my Fuel Tank and Generator are basically right on top of it. However, zero damage. None what so ever! The Concrete blocks appear to be immune to the small arms fire a Minigun drone deals out. I made a post about it...must go check on that lol.

So, after all that fun I thought I'd better get some Turrets up. Don't know why, but I like Cannon Turrets, so I placed two of those. Their range is ok - more on that later - but they don't burn through ammo like the more advance Flak Turret, which I cannot currently build FYI.

Incoming attack again...the Cannon Turrets helped for sure, but I had to fight too. Problem is that the Cannon Turrets have a reported effective range of 330 metres I think it is on Akua., yet they don't engage until 230 meters! With six drones attacking, at least four drones are going to be close enough to fire. I added another Turret, three seems to be the magic number.

So, with three turrets up and working, my base is fairly well protected. However, I have encountered a slight issue...

On this custom Akua I created, drone attack are very frequent. Not an issue if I'm nearby, but if I'm off mining too far off and an attack comes in I get the know issue. Basically, drones spawn, fly to my base and, as I'm not there, nothing happens. They don't attack, my base doesn't defend. However, as soon as I approach and get within whatever the range is, the "chunk" loads and the drones that were parked at my base suddenly all attack. This negates the slight range advantage my turrets have. I lost a turret the first time this occurred. I've built extra turrets since, but this is still an issue. I try to rush back the moment I get the warning, but - I later found out - the drone base is actually really close by. Plus, if I'm far enough away, I get no warning what so ever.

So, this Akua is fun and challenging with my custom settings, however, it does highlight the whole issue with base attacks when the player isn't near by.

Anyway, lots more happened, but it's gotten stupidly late again here, so I need to sight out...not even gonna proof read this lol.

Scoob.

5. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

What did I do today?
    Testing the enemy AI, at the cost of many ships.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  6. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

A similar kind of thing happens if the drones attack along a vector or path that the turrets cannot react to, and if they get the jump on your base they can do a surprising amount of damage.

Either way, interesting adventures. Very harrowing!

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  7. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Did a little battle testing to make sure that I could, and also because it's fun, and also because science.

The first round was Ogre Cruiser vs Kappa Corvette. The Kappa was gutted quite quickly.

[​IMG]

Next up I set up a Gargoyle Destroyer with some ammo and set em against each other. The Gargoyle did some decent damage, cleaving through the hangar bays with the artillery turrets, but missing all vitals. The Ogre launched many many barrages and blew a big hole in the Gargoyle pretty quickly. At some point, they both stopped shooting, so I hopped in the cockpit of the Gargoyle and moved it a bit. Somewhat to my surprise, both ships began firing again. The Gargoyle did some more decent damage, but the Ogre had much greater firepower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most recently I set up two Xorn Frigates facing each other, one slightly above the other, and set them against each other. They were able to chew through each other rather quickly, but the ship with the higher positioning has an advantage, as it was firing through the cockpit of the opposing ship. Eventually they both blasted almost all the way through each other, and the lower of the two eventually had its generators destroyed, and was defeated. Luckily neither core was hit at all, but to the positioning of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will have to record some of these, they can be rather entertaining, even if the ships aren't moving (though I have an idea on how to make em move and shoot without me piloting either).

8. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I would love to see the ogre in action - please do record. I would also like to see the ogre vs a larger ship like the recently-posted-to-workshop leviathan, or the older but still amazing Kshatra, or others:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761179197
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729022771
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=773416211
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695900516

9. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Will do! Those look like great opponents for the Ogre :)

The turrets will be in slightly different positions most likely, and I'll double-check with how many crew I have room for so I don't go too overboard with how many there are :p

Edit: Good news! I managed to get a video of a quick fire session. Nothing too different, basically the same scenario as before, but with the Gargoyle at a different angle that allowed it to use all its guns against the Ogre (not that it helped much). Didn't get the stats on the number of guns before, but you can see them in the video below.

Also, sorry about the choppiness at some points... it wasn't laggy in the game but I guess the recorder couldn't keep up. Will have to try a different one I think. Regardless, you can still see what the Ogre is capable of.

BTW I didn't have time to download one of the Workshop CVs, but I should be able to tomorrow probably. :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Tyrax Lightning and Siege Inc. like this.
  10. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

You're able to make both of your ships attack each other??? How do you do that ? Because I've been looking for a way to have one of my CVs attack me so I could test my weapons.

11. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

It's unintuitive but rather simple, actually :)

1. Start a SP Survival Game (In my case, I named it Destruction Zone or something like that)
    2. When you enter the game, do the following:
    - - Open console ( ~ )
    - - Type in Godmode
    - - Type in Itemmenu

3. Leave the escape pod and look at your solar system map. Find a planet whose orbit is PvP (I used Skillon Orbit)
    4. In console, type Sector Skillon (or Sector "whichever planet you want")
    5. Spawn the ships you want to test in whatever positions you'd like to test them in
    - - Click to Blueprint, click "To Factory" (you do NOT need to put any resources in)
    - - Open console and type Finishbp
    - - Open Itemmenu ( H ) so you can spawn in ammo and fuel
    - - Fill them with said ammo and fuel as needed

6. When all ships have been spawned and supplied, then you will need to create a Faction
    - - Open Inventory ( Tab )
    - - Click Factions
    - - Start a new Faction (name doesn't matter, in my case I chose Bandits)

7. Double-check that your ships are fully prepared for the test.
    - - Make sure you have enough fuel, and the correct ammo for your turrets
    - - Make sure your turrets are enabled!!

8. Switch one ship from Private to Faction
    9. Enjoy the fireworks :)

Remember that whenever you spawn a new ship, it will come out automatically as Private. As long as the other active ships in the area are set to Private, they will not fire on each other. If you want to do multiple ships against one, I advise setting the lone ship to Faction.

Either way, it's a great way to test your ships :)

Oh btw I had an idea that might help for moving ships. I imagine one can get a ship moving in a direction in space, then disable the thrusters so it continues with that momentum. Then, Godmode out to the other ship and start the battle :)

Edit: Once it is approved by moderators, there will be a thread in this section with the above text. Thread will be named "How To: Make Your Ships Fight Each Other" If you have any questions or videos you can post them there, to help try to keep them all in the same easy-to-find location.

-------

For the thread: I tested out the concept of launching HVs from Orbit directly to the planet. I had originally planned to use gravity generators to launch the HVs at high speed, but I quickly realized that HVs are not affected by Gravity Gens. Although in retrospect, I have no idea why I thought they might be.

What did work (sort of) was to point the HV towards the planet (or rather turn the CV so it would be facing that way), undock the HV, forward thrust to full (sadly my BattleTank could only achieve a max speed of 24.1m/s xD ) and let it drift to the planet.

It survived the fall quite easily (since it fell alarmingly slowly) and since I held 'O' all the way down, it (mostly) landed bottom side down.

So in theory, it's possible, but it will be very slow to get there, leaving lots of opportunities to get intercepted on the way.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  12. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Finally done with the Falcon. :p

I have a variant in mind that I might get to building at some point. A CV version of the Falcon hull modified to have the Corellian Corvette bridge and engines. I did a little test on the SV version and I think it looks pretty sweet.

13. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

It'd be interesting to see if that works or not... or if the Ship will do the Cheater Force Stop thing.

Slam Jones likes this.
  14. Fienyx

Fienyx Lieutenant

Just started playing a few days ago. Been excavating/salvaging.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Fractalite and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  15. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Downloaded the Leviathan from the workshop (https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=761179197) and set it up against the Ogre.

The battle was more or less a stalemate as by the end, both ships were wounded (perhaps the Leviathan moreso than the Ogre) but still entirely functional. However, since they had both run out of the 160mm Rockets needed for the Artillery Turrets, the battled ended as it did. Both ships scarred but able to walk away.

Oh, and I used the Windows 10 Game DVR function for this one. Much much much much better than the last recorder. So very much better.

I downloaded the other three ships recommended earlier in this thread, but I realized they are much smaller than the Leviathan and the Ogre. So for them, I will set up the three of them surrounding the Ogre, then switch the Ogre to Faction and see how it does. Maybe it'll win, maybe it'll lose. Either way, it'll be sure fun to watch :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  16. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

That is a fight I wanted to see! You are very humble Slam, even though both ships were able to still move and escape, I thought the ogre won it handily. I am very eager to see the others.

17. Fienyx

Fienyx Lieutenant

Made my very first HV. First of any vehicle.
    Fienyx_2016-10-05_02-16-21.png Fienyx_2016-10-05_02-16-30.png Fienyx_2016-10-05_02-16-37.png

18. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Didn't really play for long last night, though here's how things went...

Upon logging in, I was greeted by the now familiar "drones are on their way to attack your base" message. As it happens 3-4 times a game day now, it's getting a little irritating, even if the loot is quite welcome. I might have to take out that Drone Base before too long.

Anyway, drones came in, drones died quickly - I have seven Cannon Turrets up now lol - and I got some loot. I have .50cal ammo coming out of my ears, so I've dumped a load into the workshop for the Iron, the Magnesium is wasted though of course - we really need a recycler, even if it's not 100% efficient.

I'd built myself a small open SV a couple of nights ago, so I've been buzzing around in that exploring, so I've uncovered all resource deposits on Akua now - not many due to my settings. However, I've had a couple of resource meteorites fall, so my Iron and Magnesium supplies are good, still need to work on Copper, Silicon and Colbalt - drops from the plentiful drones have been filling the gaps in my Ore supplies, as I generally have the component pieces available.

I expanded my garden a bit, I already had 9x Tomatoes and 9x Pumpkins thanks to loot from the Titan sections, I'd been totally unable to find Durians though - the final component to make canned veg. However, while I usually leave the natives alone as they leave me alone, two had the cheek to wander into my base and stand partially blocking the entrance. As they wouldn't budge, and their constant grumbling noise (or whatever you call it) bugged me. So, I jumped into the Sentry turrets at the main entrance, and expressed by displeasure :) One of the natives dropped a Durian, from which I now have a healthy growth of nine. Nice.

With travel food now taken care of with long-lasting canned veg now craftable, no need to hunt for meat to add to my Tomatoes for canned meat. Makes things easier. I decided to pop into space to get some Sathium. It was a fairly uneventful trip - I do think space needs to be more populated - and I got 3,500 Sathium, which should see me good for a long time.

As it had been so uneventful, I decided to go searching for space drones to generate some excitement. Oh, my SV is totally unarmed btw :) After a little buzzing around the asteroid ring, I spotted a space drone. I stopped, hid my SV behind an asteroid, equipped my trusty Assault Rifle and jet-packed towards it. After a short while, the space drone noticed me and turned to engage. I retreated back to the asteroid for cover, popping my head around the left hand side from my perspective, while my SV remained under cover.

As it approached, obviously having far greater range than me, the Plasma Drone - for that's what it was - opened up. As I was scoping it at the time I had ample chance to start dodging. However, it wasn't shooting at me! Rather it'd chosen to target my SV - tucked safely behind an asteroid of course. It fired off a couple of volleys, I emptied two clips into it before it broke off. I reload, empty another clip, and another and on the fifth clip I finally take it down. Ooo, nice loot, Advanced Constructor here I come!

Returning to my SV, surprisingly it'd taken damage. Seem the plasma shots passed right through the asteroid and took out some blocks and an engine, not enough to cripple the craft though luckily. I returned to base on Akua.

Once on Akua I started the Ores processing - I already had some Promethium, Magnesium and Iron ores on me along with the newly acquired Sathium. I upgraded my Constructor to the Advanced model, and created two additional Large Constructors and set them all processing the ores.

While this was happening, I decided to extend a couple of tunnels I'd been working on. One South down to the lake where my H2/O2 and Water generators are, and the other to the North into the large valley where the drones approach from. Basically more convenient entrances. I lined the tunnels with blocks, terminated them with a door and Sentry Turrets then added lights. I was interrupted several times by drone attacks, so I went out to loot, but I ended the evening with a bit of relaxing building.

So, far from eventful this time, but a few things achieved. Next time I need to concentrate on gathering Copper, Silicon and Cobalt to complete my resourcing needs. Though I might just take down that drone base, or will that make my game a bit boring? Once I'm resourced up, I usually go into my CV building phase, where I don't like to be disturbed, so maybe it's time.

Scoob.

19. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

THANKS It worked perfectly . Now creating a slowly moving ship with just forward thusters I believe is possible because anytime I forget to add reverse thusters my ship continues to move forward. I hope we we get the ability to add Enemy AI to our ships.
    If they're going to add AI control ships made out of blocks then I don't see any reason why we can't add our own blueprints to these AI control ships.

20. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

What other cool thing you can do is have both your capital ships fighting while you're in your SV flying around attacking one of the CVs. Do like a little Star wars fight scene .