What did you do in Empyrion today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slam Jones, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Siege, I love that base -I especially love the way you represented the collpased or decaying aspects. Very clever.

And Xero, nicely done. I have yet to see wings or protrusions quite like that and I like the position of the hanger bay relative the cockpit. It screams very thoughtful design and somewhat cozy.

2. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Also, if you are finished with it, or once you are finished, could you post this wonder to the thread on a-symmetrical design?

Tyrax Lightning and Siege Inc. like this.
  3. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

I'm not finished with it yet but I'll be sure to post it there when I'm done.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  4. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Meh, having the Angle pointing forward all the time is SO mainstream anyway. :p

Also i've been tempted to try something Empyrion enables us to do... 3D Mazes... but I just can't get motivated to try it because it'd take 10+ Years to make in a nice large scale but 10+ seconds for peeps to cheat & blow their way through with Multitool or Weapons. Until the Blocks can be protected from such cheater methods, I can't help but to think 'Why bother?'. :(

XeroTerragoth likes this.
  5. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Hey all,

Here's what I did today.

Started the game with plans to snag some of the resources I'm short on, namely Copper, Silicon and Cobalt, as well as a little more Magnesium - which I seem to have burnt through at an alarming rate, though I really shouldn't be surprised by that.

However, things did not go to plan as every time I headed off to scout around, I got the "Drones are on their way to attack your base" warning. So, I decided to do something about this. I constructed myself a Minigun + 1,500 rounds, and a Sniper with 150 rounds.

My plan was, as it'd been so very successful in my other game, to assault the drone base on foot. However, the drone base has spawned in a fairly large flat & forested area with no cover. I found one point that looked ok, parked my little unarmed SV, and went to have a scout around. Immediately the base started firing through the hill at my SV - hmm, hadn't had this particular variation of the shooting through terrain bug thus far, but I'd seen it widely reported. Ok, no ground assault due to bugs...I'll work around that.

Heading back to base, I decide to strap six rocket launchers on my totally open SV - just a temporary measure. I do this, then head back to the drone base. I perform several classic strafing runs, taking out the POI's turrets - with ONE rocket to spare lol. As this SV was never designed for combat, is a little sluggish compared to my usual POI-busting SV and is open cockpit of course, I took a few hits. The base was neutered however, though there was a Dropship on the landing pad.

I return back to base to re-equip my SV - Gatlings times three this time to take out that drop ship cheaply as well as the drones that'll doubtless spawn in the minutes I'm away. Heading back to the base, no drones, makes a change, so I destroy the dropship, land and loot it. I proceed on foot and take out the surface spawner and troops before blowing the door - T2 Pistol - and entering the base proper.

The room to room clearance operations proceed fairly smoothly, the usual light resistance - mainly due to the immature AI rather than lack of forces - when I noticed red on my Radar, looks like an attack wave of drones had spawned. I rush to the surface, my SV is sat there totally exposed, and assess things. I was ready with my minigun to take out the drones personally, but on hard that'd burn through a lot of ammo. Additionally, I'm already full of loot, so I chose to head back to base - the drones following me.

I land and start off-loading some loot, when I hear my base guns open up. I casually finish what I'm doing, before wandering out on foot to collect some loot. Nice. Walking back to base, not really paying attention, one of my point defences opens up, eliminating the predator about to pounce. Thanks Sentry Turret AI!

Inventory emptied of loot, I proceed back to the Drone Base - let's finish this! I enter the base, finish my sweep of hostiles and find the core - ooo, an Epic Shotgun in the crate next to the core. Mine. I blow the core - getting the "no more attacks" message, yay - and head for the surface, reclaiming any containers and things of interest along the way. I jump back into my SV and head to base.

Well, that was my evening. Akua is going to be fairly quiet from now on, but the pressure is off. There are still a LOT of patrolling drones, but I assume none will be replaced now.

My next plan is to finally secure those extra resources. I'm considering building a mini-CV to help in that regard, let it shoot the drones - there really are a LOT you know - while I do a little relaxed mining.

Final thoughts: I loved the tweaks I made to get infinite drone attacks, and the fact six attacked at a time made it more of a challenge. However, the lack of variety of drones, along with them always attacking from the exact same direction as well as the fairly uniform frequency of attacks made things get a little tiresome eventually, hence todays operations. I had attempted to tweak the drone variety, but that particular setting didn't work it seems.

Cheers,

Scoob.

6. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Why bother? Because it would be cool and because someone out there will appreciate it.

7. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Addendum:

I played a little longer in the end and went out to gather a few resources. This was more interesting than I anticipated...

I flew to a near-ish Copper deposit to start my resource mining. I fly in with my Gatling-equipped SV and take down the defending drone quite promptly. Anyway, having disposed of the single defending drone I proceed to mine resources. Things go smoothly, I have myself about 300 Copper. I move on to the next resource, Cobalt then Silicon in much the same manner with single defending drones.

While I'm out and about, I notice a resource meteorite full of Copper. Nice, I'd not managed to get much of that. I move in to the asteroid, dimly aware of many other red blips around the border of my radar. My by now rather tired mind largely dismissed this, assuming they were drones guarding near-ish resource points just off radar. That'd normally be a fair assumption, however this planet has just ten in total, so that really was me not thinking lol.

I move in to the meteorite, land near by and, before I even get out of my cockpit a Rocket Drone is incoming...hmm, didn't realise he was so close. I take him down with the SV's Gatlings. A land once more, get out and start to mine. Boom, a rocket hits nearby - another Rocket Drone...damn, I'm blind today. I take him down with the Minigun & loot the wreck.

I'm walking back to the meteorite having looted the drone wreck that landed a short distance away and...my SV is under fire!! A Cannon Drone has approached from the other direction and was shooting up my SV! I dash in, and take it down with the Minigun. Phew! I do a few spot repairs, luckily no blocks taken out but a few damaged. I return to my mining operation.

Ouch! I take a few hits! Whut? Yet another Cannon Drone and this one is shooting ME! I draw my minigun...damn, just 94 rounds remaining...and open up. I hit the Drone with every shot, but it's not enough to kill it so I switch to my T2 Handgun. Job done. Phew.

I subsequently mine in peace, but damn those drones swarmed me! My settings to add more roaming drones appears to have worked rather well!

I move on and snag a couple more resource meteorites, Silicon, Cobalt and Promethium with very minor resistance and return to base for ore processing.

So, that was interesting! I'd planned a little casual mining before I finally quit for the night, but those drones swarming me like that was GREAT. I wonder what triggered it? Sure, I've tweaked the random patrol settings 10x, but I've not been swarmed quite like that before. I assume it was just random luck with all those drones happening to be within range to spot me. A behaviour the devs should build on for sure!

Cheers,

Scoob.

8. Tyrax Lightning

*Snickers* Reminds me of a old Sega Genesis Game I liked to play, "Shining Force" & a little something the NPC Priests would say after ya had talked to them, had them Save your Game, then selected that it was time for ya to exit that game & return to Real Life: "Then go now, for a tired Warrior is soon a dead one.", or somethin like that. Alas, sometimes it is indeed not so easy to admit when you really are too tired to go on & really SHOULD answer the call of one's Bed, eh? ;)

9. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Heh, after typing all that I obviously wasn't quite tired enough. I fired the game back up again and went on a hunting spree. I had an excess of Pumpkins and and excess of Tomatoes vs. my Durians - those three needed for canned veg of course. So, I baked up the excess pumpkins and popped them in the fridge to supply me when I'm at the base. Then I went out on a killing spree to get as much meat as I had excess tomatoes so I could create canned meat. This. along with canned veg, would be my travel food.

I attacked a group of Raptors which managed to annoy two large groups of the natives, who attacked me. I looted their corpses as well as the Raptors in the end. I'm also now eyeing up their village (no temple sadly) with somewhat more hostility lol. I burnt through almost 2,000 Minigun rounds during this particular excursion - Iron and Magnesium well-spent in my view :)

I think, once I've gathered some more resources and set them being processed, I'll start on a large concrete platform for CV production. We shall see.

Scoob.

10. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

DUDE! Shining Force was the sheet! :D

11. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

First, worked on making some changes to the fleet based on feedback.

Jonathans_HPODs_2016-10-06_22-09-56.jpg

Second, I had an urge to see just how small I could make a ship and arm it.
    (I was trying to get it small enough to fit through a door).

Jonathans_Workshop_2016-10-06_23-21-22.jpg

12. Tyrax Lightning

<3 Tao, Anri, Zylo, Musashi, Domingo, Khris, Gong, Alef, & Adam... but most of all, Bleu! (His Promoted Form's Lightning Breath Attack... Lightning Breathing Dragon FTW!!! ^_^ )

I hope I was of any use for Fleet Feedback. :)

Also that micro dude might not be quite micro enough. The Open Cockpit is 3 SV/HV Blocks High in Height making that Micro HV one Block higher in Height then what would fit into a Base Door if i'm not mistaken. Perhaps if the Open Cockpit was sitting right on top of the Hover Engines with no Blocks between them... with that said I sure haven't had any luck trying to make a Micro Anything. I can't seem to NOT build big & brawny.

For the Topic: I got much done with my new Asymmetry Build, I would now call it between 1/2 & 3/5ths done. :)

Building Asymmetry is being quite a weird experience thus far & it's making for a weird looking Creation that may yet be my ugliest eyesore yet. :p (I hope it doesn't make Slam puke.)

Also while doing my building & sometimes moving SVs around to move where they'd Spotlight light up areas i'm working on, guess what old bug paid me a visit from the past & reminded us all that this Bug is still alive & well? XD

No you do NOT need to see a Doctor & have your Head Examined... that IS my Bugged Ragdoll you're seeing... XD
    [​IMG]

I tried to beat myself up by trying to Ram my Bugged Ragdoll just to see what'd happen but I was only able to just push it around a bit.
    [​IMG]

P.S. The G80 MK1 sucks imho. *Insert Thumbs Down Emote here*

Edit: Oops, I just realized that I also inadvertently gave ya'all a second Sneak Peek at the Asym CV. XD

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Siege Inc. likes this.
  13. Murlox

Murlox Lieutenant

\o/

Well... mine is not as classy, but...

14. Tyrax Lightning

My first ever Asymm Ship is getting pretty close to done! :)

I've decided to Name it "Tyrax Asymm "Barney"", cause in my humble opinion this default Male Player Model & how stupid him & his Face always looks to me when I look at it always feels like this guy would be named "Barney" if he ever became a NPC Character while looking exactly as is & this Asymm is getting to look like the kinda thing a ***** like this guy looks like woulda built. :p

Fractalite likes this.
  15. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

I'm still working on my ruined castle base and after checking out that Barcelona base I wanted to do something a little more interesting than just an endless series of rooms. I'm trying to add an observatory dome to one of the towers but it's not turning out the way I wanted. Still playing with textures and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the interior yet. We'll see. Having to work around structural integrity a bit and I still haven't decided if I want to add a bunch of modern tech or go completely low tech and leave the challenge of retrofitting the castle to the player.

I'm giving thought to redoing the interior on my Corellian freighter CV too. I feel like it didn't turn out quite as good as I would have liked and doesn't match the quality of the exterior.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  16. Automated

Automated Lieutenant

17. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Short update today.

With no more drone attacks, life is fairly quiet and a it's a nice change of pace. I've been out and about today collecting Ores, all exclusively from Meteorite drops as I've nearly exhausted the minimal starting resources on Akua. I'd also been steadily creating hundreds of concrete blocks using the excess stone I collected mining previously. These were used to create a large landing pad area for my initial CV construction - looks quite good extending out from my base as it does. It's on pillars to raise it above the sloping landscape, so used a little more concrete than you'd expect. It's large enough for my initial CV plans - I have no plans lol - but will doubtless need to be extended.

I've had my advanced constructor churning out Steel Plates and Hardened Steel Plates, plus I recovered a lot of the nearby Titan wreck for even more steel plates. I should have enough for about 1,200 Hardened Steel blocks, which should be sufficient for my starting CV.

Next time, I plan to play around a bit with the CV design, maybe do things differently and asymmetrical for a change. I'm aware we'll likely be getting a fairly hefty update in the next couple of weeks or so, and when that drops I'll likely restart.

Anyway, very short update this evening, but I'd sort of gotten into the habit of posting after each session :)

Additional: I'm really ready for the next large update, while I've enjoyed this game so far with my super-hard starting conditions, infinite hard drone waves on Akua and lots of other patrolling drones and I'm looking forward to building a CV again. I do feel like I'm at the start of the "rinse and repeat" stage of the game. I.e. Fly to planet, make a base, secure resources, hit a few POI's etc.

Scoob.

18. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

It's not a HV, it's a SV. You cannot fit a froward facing rocket launcher on a HV. :)

Problem is, there are no wasted blocks on it, and I did not want the cockpit sitting on the ground.

Bottom level is 5 thrusters, the RCS, and the generator.
    Second level is the rocket launcher, cockpit, fuel, and ammo box.
    Top level is a headlight, cockpit, thruster, and core.

The only filer block was the diagonal block behind the core, which I have replaced with a cargo box in the update I uploaded.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=776197201

19. Tyrax Lightning

Doh! I was wondering what that thing in the front was... & I plead guilty to only viewing the first Pic of that dude in its prior Revision. :p

Now I find myself wondering how many SV Rocket Launcher Rockets it takes to kill a Croghum Soldier...

For the Topic: My Asymm CV is done! I'll be Posting him to the Asymmetry Thread soon! :D

Fractalite and Slam Jones like this.
  20. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Tried my hand at building a few different ships today, and came up with a little minimalist HV called the Rascal.

After that, tried a few different things to no avail. Accidentally, I overwrote the file to my Magic Schoolbus SV, which I use on the RvB server to ferry people around with admin commands for events and such (load everyone in, hop in the cockpit, and use a sector or teleport command).

I bummed about it for a minute or two, then decided it should be rebuilt anyway. The result is a CV version, with Turrets and much increased speed and agility. Plus it's a little more stylish than the last one, at least on the exterior.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]