Feedback Required What would be your preferred input device for flying?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Hummel-o-War, Sep 2, 2019.

?

Your input device of choice ?

1. Mouse + Keyboard only (M+K)

51.7%
  2. Controller only (Xbox, PS4,..) (C)

3.3%
  3. Joystick only (HOTAS) (J)

12.8%
  4. M+K+C

5.6%
  5. M+K+J

25.0%
  6. Other (Stick-with-a-ball, Holodeck, Self-made Cockpit..)

1.7%
  1. Ambaire

Ambaire Captain

I use mouse and keyboard, toggling pilot mode on for long distance flight and off for precision combat. We need a hotkey for the toggle, as there does not seem to be one. Unless that's 'fly mode', but I can't set that keybind for some reason.

2. wrenchinator

wrenchinator Commander

With the new limits in place I think joysticks and game pads will be more viable.

3. Leftcoast

Leftcoast Lieutenant

It's early yet, however they shouldn't have any issues adding joystick and other peripheral support for the game. I was using CH Control Manager to use my joystick till Windows 10 broke it. It was really fun and more natural for me personally vs mouse. I have a track ball right next to my joystick so switching to ground is super easy.

Bollen and Nauttdog (naut-T-dog) like this.
  4. Nauttdog (naut-T-dog)

Nauttdog (naut-T-dog) Lieutenant

I couldn't agree more. I dont know why they took away joystick control and won't offer up any explanation. It sucks so much that with M/K you can't free look and fly at the same time.

Bollen and Track Driver like this.
  5. Kostriktor

Kostriktor Commander

but is joystick supported ? if so, i go immediately order one !

6. Hoodedswan

Hoodedswan Ensign

Mouse and Keyboard for the default setup. However I would like to be able to use HOTAS and the Pendular rudder from Thrustmaster with space Empyrion more frequently.

Regards
    Eve Lapthorn

Bollen likes this.
  7. Alendi Istari

Alendi Istari Lieutenant

I agree that I'd like to have different key mappings for vehicles verses walking.
    Support for a HOTAS would also be really nice.

8. Ivo Shandor

Ivo Shandor Commander

I like the keyboard and mouse for running around but I have been digging the controller for flight recently. Truly glad that was added. However HOTAS support would be awesome since I have a legacy sidewinder pro (with force feedback) that would love some action again!

9. Leftcoast

Leftcoast Lieutenant

I feel you.
    I have a CH HOTAS setup, I currently only use the fighter stick for empyrion. I am using the program JoyToKey to bind controls to it. It so much better for me than using mouse for flight.
    Beware, the axis bleed, I had to spend a bit of time tweaking the adjustments so that my cursor wouldn't wander. It will be nice to have native controls for joysticks but this is ok for now.

10. PaleRid3r

PaleRid3r Ensign

I have bought this game for a handful of my virtual combat group. We mostly play the same Survival Sandbox games and MilSim games for years.

This game would easily become a must buy for around a hundred people I play with and against throughout the year, if it had a little HOTAS support. I keep reminding those on the fence that its already amazing and only in Alpha. This game is becoming superior to all others, because it almost covers everything, but the hardcore PC crowd have some nice input devices they would like to use...

Console kiddies will buy and enjoy and move on to next flashy title.
    PC crowd will support a game indefinitely through DLC purchases and buy recommendations.

Food for thought, I sure hope its a consideration.

Dreuseff and Caathrok like this.
  11. Leftcoast

Leftcoast Lieutenant

I am guessing that they will, however, I would think that is low priority for now.
    Meanwhile, I've been using JoyToKey to my flight stick. However, the throttle is a no go right now.

12. Caathrok

Caathrok Ensign

dual joysticks w/ footpedals would be ideal. :D

Dreuseff likes this.
  13. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

HOTAS with keyboard for the overflow keys would be preferred. M+K just doesn't flow right for vehicles

ShoeButton likes this.
  14. ShoeButton

ShoeButton Ensign

+1

15. Snowmobeetle

Snowmobeetle Ensign

16. Bansheedragon

Bansheedragon Commander

Mouse and Keyboard is good for when on foot and for precision aiming.
    However HOTAS support would make flight and combat much more enjoyable.
    I find very hard to understand is that the game has support for a gamepad, but HOTAS/Joystick support is something that is absent and seemingly only considered as a reluctant maybe.
    What is it that makes gamepad the only choice and not both?

17. Dglas Raeat

Dglas Raeat Ensign

I first voted joystick, but then changed my vote upon further reflection. Just because I prefer a HOTAS doesn't mean I should seek to exclude those who prefer M+K. I would hope that the M + K would also be so considerate. I don't see t as a competition or conflict. The more options we players all have the better for everyone. So I changed my vote to HOTAS + M + K, which is how I play Elite Dangerous. Rock on M + K folks, I was one of you before I got my HOTAS. Now I want to use everything.

18. Leftcoast

Leftcoast Lieutenant

Agreed, they can all be done and fairly too. I currently run HOTAS + K + Trackball.

19. Hazard0814

Hazard0814 Ensign

For basic rotation and control, I'd say a Joystick for the axis rotation and maybe even firing weapons, at least as an option, though those control would favor an SV more than a larger ship tbh, unless you're using it as a beefy fighter >:3. Though other key-binds I would place on Keyboard.

20. Renainn

Renainn Ensign

I have played many games over the years and most of them had joystick controls as well. When flying a joystick is helpful. As the those saying that a joystick is not set up for a 3D space game and joysticks would not be helpful, I disagree. With only a few exceptions, a joystick can provide all movement you need to move in a 3D environment. Yes there are two main direction of the actual stick, Left/Right and Up/Down. All the joysticks I have used also have a twist to the stick that allows for roll which then provides that extra third direction for flying.

For me, the limitation of only keyboard and mouse is ridiculous! Why not add the joystick support so players have all options available to them for playing the game they want to play it?

When I looked up the game controllers (i.e. Xbox controller), there is not a way to change the settings for it. Unless I missed something? Is there a way to change those button settings? I do not understand why the controller has a belt option assigned when you are using it to pilot the ship?

Sorry if I am sounding like I am complaining, just frustrating to have a nice joystick to use and cannot use it in a space flight sim.

Track Driver likes this.