Why are Youtubers getting copyright claims on background music

Discussion in 'Media - Screenshots, Videos, Streams!' started by ButtonPusher, Jan 2, 2017.

1. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

I am a Twitch moderator for a very successful Youtube and Twitch content producer by the name of Meatwagon22 , he is asking you why he is receiving copyright claims on background music on Youtube videos - , this should not happen and must be resolved immediately, these content producers should not be receiving these claims since they heavily promote your game and their content is generating sales for you in turn, please stop these unnecessary claims. Thank you for your attention and for your time.

** Edit - Eleon team, I do not mean to wrongly accuse you of making the claims, I stated this a bit hastefully and did not necessarily assume that the claims were made by you, just that IF the claims were made by you, that action must be taken immediately, thank you for your time and I apologize in advance for any misunderstanding or lack of clarity in this post.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  2. Littletreewater

Littletreewater Lieutenant

3. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

thank you Littletreewater, i will give it a try

Littletreewater likes this.
  4. Littletreewater

Cheers! Good luck, I think ultimately simplest solution is to just mute the background music of the game while your client does his content. Most games are this way, and a quick google search showed that @meatwagon22 has encountered this before. Most of this is very automated anyway, crawlers etc go out and say "hey this is familiar! BAN IT!" I do not believe Empyrion employee's are scouting Youtube for things to ban themselves. Dealing with clients of the 500k+ subscriber groups I imagine you're already very familiar with this.

You could also reach out to @ZiggyD he was incredibly helpful to other content producers in situations like this, as is @TeamFourStar they dealt with some major copyright issues in their day.

I suppose the saying goes "you can only fall on your sword once". :)

5. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

I will pass the information along, thank you again Littletreewater

6. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

Majority YT copyright claims are actually searches run by YT, using their extensive music database. Most external sources also do searches, but they don't search videos with small view counts, so 90% of are getting caught out by YT themselves covering themselves for obvious reasons. Producers would need a tone of compute resources to search everything. But YT do not like fighting copyright claims, its not their core business, and content creators who get pissed and go elsewhere hurts YT, so, they have a system that supports their creators.

I was unable to find out who holds copyright and who produced the EGS soundtrack, but also last week switched to mute music when I saw someone going on about this. It's not a biggie, and 10-20 seconds of soundtrack is often enough to get your artistic point across, more than that will get you a takedown notification and a strike.

7. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I've had to stop posting anything to youtube with an open privacy (where people can view it just by going to my profile), because EVERY SINGLE VIDEO would be flagged for multiple copyright violations and add 'ads' on them as a result. And yes, this was even AFTER I disabled music in-game while doing bug/report videos. So many false claims I was like, FU YT.

Also, its not Eleon who are making the claims, so please do not accuse them of the BS that happens on YT.

Littletreewater and Pyston like this.
  8. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

I had a video flagged once and got a takedown and I send back a message telling them that "the wedding march" might be in their catalog but is also in the public domain. If you send them enoguh proper reference material, they leave you alone. I not only use CC music. It was one of those companies in Japan who hunt for enfringers. I looked now and see I have a WarnerBrothers notice against a clip for using a song. It's such an old clip , before I knew about such things. But I am not going to touch it, since they are cool and I just cannot monetise it. My other (main) channel is monetised, but I disable ads on most of my short videos, because I also find them annoying.

Eleon have a license to use the music, not sure who from, yes.

9. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I find it annoying to fight every bug-report related video I post. So I stopped bothering.

10. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

I apologize if I insinuated that it was Eleon team necessarily, just that if it was claimed by them or their associates then they should not allow it to happen is all, I didn't mean to accuse anyone specifically, I just wanted to raise awareness and go through the proper channels to seek help with this matter. I'd like to thank you both for your input and your perspective, I highly appreciate it! o/

zaphodikus likes this.
  11. Sacksquatch

Sacksquatch Captain

When I started doing let's plays on this game I did my homework. If you're making posts for Meatwagon maybe you should do his homework? ;)

http://empyriongame.com/video-policy/

– We recommend muting the in-game music to avoid possible copyright claims by YouTube if you want to monetize the video.

Eleon has rights to use the music in the game, but does not own the rights. Thus the claims. You can only truly avoid claims with dev teams who have their own composers on staff, own all the rights, and have an open Youtube policy. Paradox for example. Even then I'd mute the music, but then again I'm not "very successful", so what do I know.

zaphodikus and Littletreewater like this.
  12. Littletreewater

zaphodikus likes this.
  13. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

The point I was trying to make was, even after turning off music, I still get false claims put against any videos I make public. And the claims have music clips that don't even sound like anything found in game. They just randomly, and rampantly throw claims on any video (even ones with only 2 views FFS), just so they can get ads all over stuff.

"Fuck youtube too." - 1900

14. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Sorry for the inconvenience. The main theme is a licensed item and that may result in YT issueing a copyright message (Not WE do this, but Youtube automatic crawlers!)

That's why we suggest to tune down the music when monetizing videos.

15. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

Have, you started to look at vid.me? Their uploads are lightening fast.
    Where do you source music from @Frigidman?

WOw. I think this forum rocks! just noticed that @ <username>works like in the old days.

16. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

I did forward all policy information to creators in question about this matter and have advised them to take necessary actions to avoid these claims in the future. Again, I apologize if i sounded accusational with the OP wording, it is now edited to show clarity. I have only the best of intentions and wish the best for all content creators and believe in strong bonds between them, community members, and development teams. I would like to thank you all for the information and assistance in this thread.

zaphodikus likes this.
  17. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

Hey @ButtonPusher You should add your YT playlist to your signature somehow.