Why Do We Still Play Empyrion - An Honest Review

Discussion in 'Media - Screenshots, Videos, Streams!' started by spanj, Oct 17, 2018.

1. spanj

spanj Captain

Hi, check out my latest video on Empyrion covering why we are still playing this game and my opinions and thoughts on the games future.

imlarry425, Hector G, Kaeser and 9 others like this.
  2. elmo

elmo Captain

Brilliant video and spot on highlighting the good points and bad points. I mostly play single player until @jlego (my son) comes into a coop with me. Having almost 4000 hrs in this game I can honestly say that I have never had many problems until recently when the terrain started glitching and made the game unplayable for us. Got fed up having to stop, exit and restart game. Personally I love a new game start, I cannot build to save myself but love going over the planet in my wee bug(HV), taking out the drones and the unfriendly bases but lately after doing all that on one planet haven't felt the need to move on to others to repeat the process because that is when I start to get bored. Will I still play the game... Hell yeah especially at every new update. Am I addicted... Yes..

3. jlego

jlego Captain

I can't really speak for what you said about MP (I don't have much interest in it other than co-op with @elmo), but I think your comments are spot-on, and I can't really add much more. It's true that bugs (like the terrain glitch that I and others have been complaining about in 8.6) and performance issues need to be addressed in particular to provide a minimum level of playability - I know that features are sexy and it's what gets people to play, but they need to actually be able to play. Despite those problems, I do keep playing, because there aren't really too many other games that have the same kind of promise for what EGS offers - many almost get there but fall short in some way for me.

For mining, some people like it, and I confess that sometimes I take it as a good opportunity to watch something on YouTube or Netflix while I go drill a hole. But it's really tedious for me, and in every game I play I can't wait until I can get the T2 HV drills, so that I can mine a large or very large deposit in a few minutes.

Also, +1 to more block shapes and textures (and symbols). I keep designing structures, looking for a particular block I need to fit in a space, and realising it's not actually there no matter which way I rotate it. Custom textures would be really good, because right now there's a bit of sameyness in every structure I see and build.

Finally, only 1610 hours? :)

EmpyrionPlaytime.png

(EGS is the game with the most hours played on Steam for me. Before that, it was Path of Exile, currently 2685 hours. I'm not sure whether to feel proud or ashamed of these figures ;) )

4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Feel Proud:D!

Thank You @spanj for posting this here!
    Can't agree more!

@jlego when did you start to play EGS?

I started Nov 2017 and am now at
    Playtime 17102018.jpg

spanj, viking17791, Sephrajin and 2 others like this.
  5. jlego

jlego Captain

:D

Had to check my purchase history on Steam for that... 15th May 2016. Just as EGS hit Alpha 1, it had a free weekend, and I decided to take a chance on it. After I played it a bit, I realised that @elmo might like it, and we both ended up buying it before the weekend was over. So we missed pre-alpha, but we've been in basically for all of alpha.

Wow, that's a lot of hours for 11 months. Probably the same as @elmo in the same time period though :)

spanj and elmo like this.
  6. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

Spot on points Spanji!

I play to build, and.. I build to play.
    I make Scenarios, guess that counts as Building? :p

I'm afraid, for Scenarios, i've spent like 1/6 of my total time - outside of the game.

I kinda disagree with the 'nerv cv' issue, but then again, only as long as they dont Change how we 'steer' the vessels with the mouse.
    As I usualy Play co-op PvE, so it is not so much bothering - i'd actualy prefer faster turning - as of RIGHT NOW (since a7).
    But I understand the point for PvP, it's annoying to have the (small!!!) big ship turn faster than the sv.
    Lets just hope they change the 'steer-mode' so they can adress the issue - in a way everyone is pleased (then).

Wish i'd have more time to actually play atm, but the deadline for the Vertigo Cluster scenario update (due 28th), keeps me all day in creative mode (for which I just made a 'Creative Studio' - Scenario)….

This said, yes, I'd wish as well we could share POI's (with adm/aln cores and/or otherwise 'forbidden' blocks) in the WS.
    I would not care if I had to re-save them to get a local copy to include in the Scenario, just let them in the Workshop already - and make it a Special Group, so they can be sorted/out.

Bougth on 27. Nov 2017:
    steam-egs-playtime.jpg

And some recent builds of mine, still make me feel like they've been built like 2900 hrs earlier…. :confused:

spanj, jlego and Germanicus like this.
  7. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

I saw this coming :D

spanj, viking17791 and jlego like this.
  8. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

I have just 1300 hours, started playing when 06 were released, but bought it a year before that.
    SP survival mostly, in creative mostly to make some functional vessels/bases to spawn in.
    If to add the time used on watching streams and recordings of EGS, and postings, then time used on the game become some hundred hours more.
    Play other games too :p

spanj and elmo like this.
  9. viking17791

viking17791 Lieutenant

Great video, lots of nice thoughts from you about the game. Late in 2015 I came across some lets play videos on YT (Liftpizza s1e1), had no choice after that, created a steam account and bought EGS, over 3000 hours later I still play Empyrion, the best used 10 $ any time for me. Now It's most after new update`s I play, to see and test out new stuff

spanj, Sephrajin, elmo and 1 other person like this.
  10. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Your video says things I could never put in such a way as you do lol. Some of what you say are typical things I hear about on a daily basis as I run the Unknown Skies Community daily. Seriously... Excellent video and I wish I spoke half as well lol.

While I do speak a lot about the things wrong with the game I never say its a bad value. My hours speak to that alone lol. But man the game does need a few things tweaked for sure.

* I have also said the same exact thing about mining... Why not recycle the drones and use them for things like this? There are tons of ways to do it... And it would give the game something unique that players really want. I would much rather have the drones we speak of over the autominers and mining in general as it is. So would a lot of other players. Mining at the very least does need some work... Again... Granted it would be for the third time but really its worse now than it was in a lot of ways. Definitely inconsistent.

* Your points on multiplayer are OFTEN spoke of and usually end up involved in some of the more heated debates surrounding empyrion. I kind of feel like eleon is avoiding multiplayer for the time being as they rework some of the framework of the game. While this is understandable... It hurts player retention greatly. So while there ARE large communities out there hosting some amazing servers and attempting to create content they do often feel ignored and fizzle out frequently. Its HARD to build a good community around a server for this game in its current state. Very few find success with it and maintain it for long.

* More solar systems is something i thought would make its way into the game much sooner than it has. I always thought more planet types, more flora and fauna, creature diversity, and then larger galaxies would be a much bigger priority than it has been as its the core of space exploration and a very large part of ANY space game out there similar to empyrion. This is a LARGE part of the framework of any space game that often gets spoke about like it is not very important. I die a little inside every time I see someone want it to wait lol. To me... Exploration is the largest part of any space game period. What the hell is the point of going into space if there's nothing to see anyways?

* More blocks lol. Enough said. I cant tell you how many times everyone I know is trying to piece together some cool design only to find one or two shapes prevent them from having that amazing look they want so badly! Curves, certain geometric designs, and intricate details get really limiting very quickly.

* Enemy Anything period on the workshop is as wonderful an idea as new planets shared on the workshop. This is also something I felt would be on the workshop MUCH sooner as it gives them Content they need desperately. With all the changes in 8/9 though, I can see how it would have been difficult to do long term. Still though, With everything I have seen in the yaml's I think it COULD have been done and backwards compatibility might have been maintained to some degree. I was disappointed to see all the planets pre 8.0 get flushed. Now no one is really putting out anything new regarding planets. Not sure I blame them right now lol.

THANK YOU for your review of the game. You have said so much, in a better way than I could for sure, that we all speak about often. Very well done :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    spanj likes this.
  11. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Basically, a whole lot of game systems are still incomplete (docking, moment of inertia calculation, projectile launcher velocities, weapon limits, logistics, inventory mass and volume, factions) or missing entirely (shields, sensors, research, player skills, NPC crew, device resource consumption (like CUs), acceleration limitations); having all of those in place would allow for proper balancing, and resolve many of the issues raised in the video.

spanj likes this.