YAMLs, YAMLs everywhere...

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by IndigoWyrd, Apr 12, 2019.

1. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

There are so many YAML files I feel like I’ve wandered into the Middle Yeast (oh... bad pun...)

But seriously, there are quite a few of these. Is there some comprehensive list of what these are and what they do? I’m familiar with a few of them, but there are so many I’m not familiar with at all.

Also I’m curious - if I make a modification to one or more of these do those changes propagate to clients connected to a server or do they only affect local games, or do they require distribution?

Supay likes this.
  2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

There's the gameoptions.yaml, which sets the various difficulty and game options for your single player game or server. Making changes here will (after a server restart) affect all players in your game.

Then there's the various playfield_static.yaml, playfield_dynamic.yaml, and playfield.yaml, and terrain.ecf files which control the planets, moons, and space playfields in your scenario. Making changes here to an existing game is possible but requires wiping said playfield and deleting some files from your save game so the game generates a new playfield. Mostly used in creation of custom scenarios.

There's the solarsystemconfig.yaml which controls generation of solar systems in random scenarios (such as the default survival game or random custom scenarios).

There's the config.ecf which lets you change the stats of items. Making changes here on a server affects all players.
    The TraderNPCConfig is used for custom scenarios to edit existing traders or create new ones.

There's a bunch of other .ecf files in the content/configuration folder, but most of them should probably not be edited.

3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

None of those files need to be distributed to clients, unless said players want to make their own single player game with the changes you've made on your server.