Feedback Required Your most wanted QUALITY OF LIFE feature?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Jul 3, 2020.

1. dichebach

dichebach Captain

1. Most players I've asked HATE to cut trees. Why? Because they have to manually adjust overall game volume down or take off their headset to endure the loudness. The idea that "RL machinery is loud and requires ear protection so the sounds that represent such machinery in game should also be aversively loud" is ridiculous. Should we also experience physical discomfort or blood loss when our character gets wounded!?

2. It is not clear that Eleon understands this problem in how their design is not friendly nor appreciated by users.

3. It is also not clear if you or the other guy understand the problem.

4. I am attempting my best to insure that Eleon understands that the point of VulcanTourist's post is valid, and very likely representative of a consensus in the community: too many of the machinery sound-effects are "ear rape."

5. Eleon needs to write some code to allow users to either (a) turn down a "Machinery Sounds" slider separately; and/or (b) add config file entries for Machinery or even each type of machinery separately to allow users (to include server admins) to adjust individual sounds separately.

6. This is not about me, or you, or winning an argument, it is about insuring that Eleon HEARS what their community has to tell them, and fixes a problem with which a non-trivial, if not overwhelming majority of users take issue. Your apparent efforts to dismiss the problem are not helpful in this regard.

2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I play music almost every night with bass boosted (hate that) " hi fi headphones" and I can assure you that cutting trees in Empyrion is not that annoying and far from causing that kind of discomfort. You want loudness ? Come join me and enjoy new guitar players testing how loud they can crank their amps before the police comes knocking at their door...

But that is besides the point : I already explained that balance and layering was the issue, and here you bring those back again.

Let's not drift too far from the origin of this argument : you are the one here who told @Tarc Novar that the player he was addressing did not have to explain anything, and then you proceeded to explain things in his place. Just this shows that your very first intervention ("no need to expand") was not sincere (and a bit rough : "if you just play the game"...), and when I write the same thing ("yes there is need to expand") you reacted abruptly.

So I will repeat my very first message about this : I do not encourage players to drop a simple "fix your (x)" and being rude to others, and instead take a little more time to point the developers towards specifics. You want a better game ? Use the means to get there.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    Ephoie likes this.
  3. VulcanTourist

VulcanTourist Lieutenant

These appear very much like the "lifts" that I've wanted for years, especially for small vessels that are otherwise very limited in egress mechanisms! So many interesting designs I've had to trash or mutilate simply because there was no practical means to get into and out of them!

Ephoie and jadefalcon like this.
  4. Tarc Novar

Tarc Novar Commander

Whatever, bruh. I have nothing further to say when you come blazing through the door with insults for everyone who disagrees with you. Should you have any issue with this, deal with it, and leave me alone.

Kassonnade likes this.
  5. tahaan

tahaan Lieutenant

Hard to choose a single "most wanted".

The first one that jumps to mind right now is the little "Connect Logistics" button that sits inbetween the left and right side containers. I'd like there to be two, one for the container on the left and one for the container on the right, so I can "connect" to either.

6. tahaan

tahaan Lieutenant

About noise and sound levels I'd like to mention something I've observed.

Sound levels drop of VERY fast in the game. Example: When using a multi-turrent to disassemble a POI, when I move the aim over to something that happens to be closer the sound level jumps up so much that I sometimes jump.

So it seems to me that if the sound level of the tools get turned down a notch, which I think many would agree it can be too load, then the sound level drop-off also needs to be made lower.

Conversely: The sound is so loud in the first place because if you are 3 steps away from the guy with the mechanical drill you can barely hear it.

So I think Yes the sound level at the origin needs to be lower, but also the drop-off needs to be lowered.

7. Nem

Nem Ensign

I've owned the game for years, but just recently gave it a serious attempt and now I'm a couple hundred hours in...wow. Great game!

#1) I want to a way to tag teleporter locations as favorite and have them always show at the top of the list. It looks like there is a system for favoriting teleporter locations already (I see a button that seems like it should 'only show favorites') but I haven't been able to get it to work or find any information about it. BONUS: Let me type a short note about each location that shows next to the name. IE. NEKO I Polaris Trade Station "Vendor wot buys lots of gold"

There are a lot of teleporter locations I unlock during exploration. They automatically unlock just entering the system. There are a few I regularly visit though... like trade hubs with useful merchants, bases I made for mining, bases I made for simply linking to more distant locations, etc. Those are the ones I typically want to teleport to. My solution to finding them now is pen and paper detailing location names and purposes. It's tedious, and if I lose that paper I lose a lot of valuable information.

#2) Build a trade station to sell loot. Hunting down vendors and hauling around loot too sell gets extremely tedious. It would be nice to be able to make a trade station to sell goods to NPCs. The feature can be pretty simple... just a placeable crew member at a base. Have it link to an inventory. Stuff in the inventory slowly gets sold off. For balance, the sale price could be maybe half of what you'd get by hauling the goods to a station or whatever. In the future the system could be expanded to let the player build a true enterprise, like a trade station that gains reputation for selling a particular good could have the price and sale frequency of that good rise towards the market average.

#3) Option for 'no more despawning/self-destructing CVs'. I understand the feature was needed for large servers to keep playfields free from too much clutter. That's not really needed in single-player or servers with only a few players. It becomes a frustrating feature that seems like a bug the first time it happens. Reforged Eden seems to max out the timers in the config options for this, but even then if you reload a save, the captured CV vanishes after a second no matter what. There is no indication to the player which CVs do this and which don't. The workaround in single player is to fully loot the CV of whatever you want and save a blueprint of it before you quit. Quite, re-enter, wait a few seconds. If the CV vanishes, go into creative mode and spawn the blueprint if you want to rebuild or keep it for salvage. I understand a lot of players just want to dive in for the rare loot containers, salvage a few nice parts, and then move in. Some players like me want to spend hours rebuilding CVs to keep as trophies or don't always have time to finish the salvage work right then and there. We shouldn't be forced to use cheat options and jump through hoops to make use of the spoils of hard fought victories.

#4) Waypoints attached to ships that follow the ship instead of sticking around static in the world. I generally fly around in a large CV that holds a couple purpose built SVs. I'd generally like to have my main CV always waypointed, no matter if I swap systems or what. The waypoint should just update every second or so to match the new location. That'd save me from having to remake the waypoint to find it all the time.

#5) Show damaged blocks debug option. Others recommended it already, but every time I need to repair in the field or repair a base, I have to tediously scan the whole exterior of the thing with the repair tool. It takes forever and I still miss a ton of stuff.

8. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Still wanting those NPC crew to actually do things.
    Guards that patrol and shoot at enemies, Pilots that can operate vehicles, Tactical officers that improve weapon performance, and the like.

Following right behind this would be motion-capture animations for character models and NPC's. Everything moves so stiff and unnaturally.

9. me777

me777 Commander

- Bind signals to keys (press a key to toggle a signal; maybe use numpad keys or modifier + 1-0)
    - way to give orders to multiple constructors (either set constructors as slave to 1 master or have a console that controls a group)
    - way to display status of weapon groups on hud (are my missiles turned on or off?)
    - ore % left displayed for asteroids
    - remember exploration info so i can look it up from another star system (like planet x has zascosium)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  10. Pembroke

Pembroke Commander

Same. And this, if any, would be a feature that combines quality of life improvements with interesting and immersive game elements. Automate boring and repetitive tasks with the ability to assign a crew member to do it. This would be way more immersive than simply having that boring and repetitive task be automated "behind the screens".

To add to IndigoWyrd's suggestions: Set a crew member to do gardening. Technically, it would just be automatic picking of plants and putting them inside a specified container but if there were a visible NPC giving the illusion of doing it that would be great!

...and plenty other tasks you could have automated this way.

Ballard likes this.
  11. Ballard

Ballard Rear Admiral

I said this years ago, but I would love to see much better player avatars, so my girlfriend will play the game with me. She simply cannot stand being so 'plain'. Also, I'd love to be able to dress like Han Solo!

12. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Before or after being impaled by Kylo?

13. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Just have to be careful with this sort of thing. I'd say any automated task should be less efficient than doing it yourself. This isn't Factorio or one of those countless other, boring, automate-it games. We should be doing things ourselves. That said, I am not opposed to some forms of automation as well - gardening, when automated, might yield fewer harvested plants than if you do it yourself, and I'd be fine with that. Production, if automated, could take a bit longer than doing it yourself, and so on, and that would fine.

14. tahaan

tahaan Lieutenant

I wish I could see the Fill level of the Harvest Controller when using a Drill turret or Multi-tool turret. When using some other harvesting tools, such as the mounted wood harvester module (on an HV) or the laser drill cannons (on an SV) you can see the bar filling up on the left (normally the ammo bar).

15. khrys (Cymoril)

khrys (Cymoril) Ensign

I would love to see the following:
    Either elevator blocks or an actual elevator from hangar to flight deck (base/carrier) to launch SV/HVs. Different sizes like hangar doors etc.
    Expandable faction... as in when I control a system, I get a 'sphere of influence' bubble like the other factions. A visual map that shows my progress towards galactic domination:) Adding to that, opposing faction bubble shrink as I take over their systems.

Lastly, an icon in the map (both solar and galactic) that indicates I have a base in that system. I know you can check but it would make navigation easier imo.

me777 likes this.
  16. Pembroke

Pembroke Commander

Actually, you could have even that part be presented as an immersive element: Your gardener needs to eat, too, so part of the food goes to him.

But yes, I agree, as a general principle you could have it as: If you want to do it efficiently, then do it yourself. If you don't want to bother with it, then delegate it to an NPC but pay the price.

17. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Something like this would be great, as the ramps we have can be somewhat difficult to use depending on one's ship design. I often find they're 1 unit short on a regular basis. HOWEVER... Unity has some trouble with "grids" (constructs) attaching to other "grids" (constructs), as we've seen with things like:

Docked SV's detach from CV's
    Docked SV's "float" on CV's
    Docked SV's "sink" on CV's
    and so on. So getting a vehicle to attach to a moving block, and then move with that block correctly and then behave correctly when attached... well, it would be quite a feat. Not impossible mind you, but one that would require quite a bit of effort, and thus, while feasible, probably a munch-further-down-the-road item.

18. tahaan

tahaan Lieutenant

I'm assuming this is the limitation in Unity that is the reason why we can't walk around in moving ships.

19. Brehon

Brehon Lieutenant

1. Walk around on ship, full interaction with systems.
    2. Local chat /frequency chat/ playfield chat.
    3. Full interaction with cockpit (actual controls for ships systems and such).

AmicusJose likes this.
  20. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Walking around in moving ships is... more of a magnitude of complexity issue. Some of Unity's limitations do come into play here, but these can be worked around, just not easily, and not in a manner that would work terribly well in large, multiplayer server instances without dropping frame rates down to 1 frame per minute.

Kassonnade likes this.