[ZeroG] Challenge Build 01 (SV) Fighter ~Completed~

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by Jenniphurr, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

This... is ... Ingenious... :D

You, Rainyday's Double Cockpit in a portable Design, & all you other peeps are all Showoffs. :p

& yeah, I hear ya on liking to try to Portablize Design... that might be part of my problem... I can't quit being confused about if the Devs want me to make my SVs like big fat buzzards *Glances at Warp Drive bulk...* or like Iridion 3D-like Ships *Glances at how Cockpits are Shaped, especially in the Upper Back...* or somehow both at the same time, & I can't Compute it... :(

2. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

Um, just noticed we have 2 different values with WxHxD.
    There's those on the blueprint page and there's those on the statistics page.
    Just to make sure, the BP page is the correct one, right ?

Jenniphurr and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  3. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Now that's a refreshing design! Well executed, too.

4. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

Well, we have to show it off, otherwise ppl can't see it, lol !

5. monktk

monktk Captain

There are so many awesome ships here.

I particularly like Razorwire's naked ship (I also liked the '60s rocket wedge he chose not to enter).

That RainyDay managed to squeeze 2 cockpits into these size constraints is absolutely brilliant.

I really like the large Nacelles on the ship Hound ultimately entered. The visual weight of the ship is interesting.

Jack's is suitably intimidating in such a small package.

Hicks' ship is an absolute tank, nice use of the theme.

And so many others are just flat out gorgeous, whether elegant or complex, that I'd be basically writing out the thread's entry roster to list them all :)

And then there's Fractalite's Happy Maggot which has the best name ever. And is the cutest little ship.

Man, Tyrax, I hear you on integrating cockpits and trying to figure out what to do with the bulk of a warp drive. I tried out so many cockpit configurations before realizing that the Connector B window piece (which has no block equivalent) would do what I wanted for that particular model. I had a few decent prospects with taller cockpits, but really didn't like those as much as what I ultimately ended up with. Was pleased to come in at 5 blocks on height :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  6. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Excuse me Excuse me - sorry, its been on the tip of my brain for a day or so now. Hick's fighter does not remind me of the A-10 thunderbolt but, instead, the Pyro GTX from Descent(on of my favorite games.)

pyroGL.jpg

FiveHorse, Sofianinho, Cleff and 9 others like this.
  7. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Absolutely brilliant. Nice.

8. Tyrax Lightning

... ya know what? After looking at this Ship in this Pic... I now suddenly REALLY want a variant of the Jet Thrusters that Thrusts out the back & has the other end able to Integrate into the Ship itself instead of being forced to also be exposed for Air Intake... this would help us Builders out SO much...

dpburke2, Jᴧgᴧ and monktk like this.
  9. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

Sorta like inboard jets on a boat, right?

[​IMG]

10. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Lol! Yeah, I still have a good chuckle over that one... haha

*Happy Maggot waves his little maggoty arms in the distance*

Hicks42, Jenniphurr, dpburke2 and 2 others like this.
  11. Tyrax Lightning

If that gets the job done, sure! :)

For the Topic: Gonna finish CV Build then return to SV work & see if Fresh Look at what I was doing is of any help in trying to get unstuck.

CV just needs some Motion Sensor Programming, finished Painted & Textured, then Groupings done.

Jenniphurr likes this.
  12. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

Goodness... it has been over a full decade since I've played a Descent title. I can see it more than a bit. but here. Look at an Earlier version of the shrike line. Don't have the bp anymore so clicky clicky.
    [​IMG]

And one that never made it out of prototype phase. You can see I have a 'Style'
    [​IMG]

13. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I was looking through my library, seeking a ship I could modify so that it would fit the challenge, when I came across my remake of FlamingoRich's Tortoise Excavator. (Its a pre-alpha HV that I thought was very unique and wanted to save by updating it for 4.0)

Either way, I decided I would take a crack and turning it into a SV for the challenge.
    Here is the final result, for giggles, you can breathe when you stand in the center of the ring.

SV Hollow Man

[​IMG]

14. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

Reminds me a little of Trig's SV Utility, where you have access through a forcefield. His used shutters however, on the sides, and wasn't combat ready.

Good looking adaptation.

15. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

Aww shucks. :) You'll make me swoon you sweet-talker. ;)

16. Tyrax Lightning

*Looks at your Avatar & imagines it 'swooning'...* That could be funny to watch... in a Cartoon kinda way. :p

P.S. Got a huge amount of the CV Painting done, so i'm hoping I won't be too much longer on the CV... or if I get a new bout of Inspiration for the SV i'll ask the CV to wait on me a bit again. Can't rush Inspiration, can't force Inspiration, can't ask Inspiration to Pause, foolish to waste Inspiration.

17. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Oh dang! Take that second ship out of dry dock! Back out back out! Very nice. I tried counting the block lines - looks like 22ish? With some trim work that could be entered into this challenge! You could also just post the BP and have a good time with it. Either way.

Yeah, that is what it is. Gosh, good ole descent! One of my all time favorite games. I have it(and #2) on steam and gog.com. Sorry Jenn for distracting this thread, I will cease. Still, it has been a good influence on these designs.

dpburke2, Tyrax Lightning and monktk like this.
  18. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

I like that one but the map went 'POOP' when my first mobo and game drive fried. I am pretty sure I don't Have the bp any more. ;(

However, in my inestimable penchant for being a one-sophont army of monkeys on typewriters the shape will come back around.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  19. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

Considering the model for the character is a 300 pound-ish Mesomorph with a power-lifters build. Yes, that would be Rather hilarious.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  20. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

I do notice a certain theme... But I suppose when you're sharing a planet with giant alien insects, a massive Bugflector on the front is just good sense. Don't want that cockpit glass getting all gooey now, do we?
    [​IMG]
    I really like the design on that second one though, the "prototype." Meaty, but still has a certain style to it.
    Why does this make me think of Armstrong?
    [​IMG]
    ...and now I want to watch FMA again...

As for my end of things, Stratus is just about ready to go. Sorted out the final details, little texturing and block tweaks - will upload after work tomorrow (since sleep-time is now).