Zirax drone base extremely overpowered

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sneedy, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Grand Pa

Grand Pa Lieutenant

Tested it yesterday and I think, to change the value from 650 to 65 fixed my problem but maybe I'm also wrong. It took still a while to damage a block to get into the base, but it was now possible. Before the change I had the impression, that it would be impossible, to take the base.

By the time I got to the core, I still needed 14 charges of explosives and 13 rocket launchers Homing Missels to destroy the glass window, that protected the core. In my eyes that's a bit excessive...

Deadalready and Cluascorp like this.
  2. Grand Pa

Grand Pa Lieutenant

Don't know, if my questions belongs to this thread, if not, maybe an admin could move it to the right place ;-)

Is there a way to reduce the shield recharging time of any Vessel in the game? I recognized that it takes a really long time to recharge the shields of my Albatros Workshop CV. I tried to attack a Zirax Defense Base on my Home Planet and they are shooting with 8? Plasma Canons to the ship, so my shields are goin still down very quick and it takes a long time to recharge them...

3. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Point taken, enough mass and enough density, yes, minor impacts will dissipate - however we also have to take in consideration the explosive itself, if the charge is shaped, or includes penetrative fragments. Fairly safe to assume weapons fire of this magnitude, intended for a militaristic application, are of a significant order. So scaling up from your example, use a sledge hammer to hit those weight plates instead.

The point being, penetrative damage from explosives does make sense.

Grand Pa and Kassonnade like this.
  4. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Break off your attack sooner so there is less shield damage to recharge. I haven't seen any values in any of the modifiable files that account for the recharge time. Also changing the angle of your attack run can limit the number of turrets to which you are exposed, as enemy turrets will not fire on the structure to which they are attached, much like our own turrets won't shoot our own ships.

I've used hit-and-run tactics against shielded enemies quite a few times with great success. I've also used highly maneuverable ships capable of strafing left/right and simply hovered in range and pelted structures like this while simply evading incoming fire.

Grand Pa likes this.
  5. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

I found a highly maneuverable shielded sv with 4 homing missile launcher to be the better choice and quicker than a cv. Take out the laser turrets first (they have great targeting and hit most of the time) then take care of the plasma ones. Small movements are usually enough to miss you all the time and even if you need to recharge your shield it is way quicker than cv and i usually do it while kiting away and reloading.

If you really want to raise your shield recharge rate you´ll need to do this via the config files. Open BlocksConfig and search for the shield variant your cv has. There is a line called "ShieldRecharge". Change it to a value you prefer. Careful though as this is either a bit buggy or there is some form of hidden multiplyer. Changed my recharge rate on my cv rn to test it out and set it to 1200 (from 120). It should take me about 15 seconds to recharge from 50% shield but it does it in like 5 seconds.

Grand Pa likes this.
  6. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

If you let a shield go all the way down to zero it's going to take a much longer time to regenerate. IF you leave the area with say 10% shield left....it'll regenerate much much faster.

Grand Pa likes this.
  7. Rawd

Rawd Ensign

My solution to the lvl5 drone base was a shielded SV (Merc-MX11) with four plasma guns.

You need to pick a spot where the fewest turrets can hit you, get close, fire as many times as you can till your shields drop to 25% or so and retreat back in a straight line so not to mess up your target for the next approach. Each successful approach gets the base shield down by around 10-15%, then it goes back by about ~5% while you recharge yours.

It's an expensive approach, but it is viable and reproducible.

Thor'sHammer, Grand Pa and Escarli like this.
  8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You can even circle strafe in a fast SV where even the laser turrets can barely hit you.

Escarli likes this.
  9. Grand Pa

Grand Pa Lieutenant

Thanks guys for your answers and I fully agree to the hit an run strategy with a real fast reacting SV ;-)

But I noticed another behavior which cannot possibly be meant seriously ore there is a nother circumestance, which I don't know.

The thing is: on my home planet I could digg under a defense base and was there able to take down the laser turrest and later on also the plasma ones with my plasma gun and the T2 rocket launcher. OK, it took a long time and cost a lot of ammo, but it was possible.

Today I tried this on the moon of my home planet. I shoot 9! complete plasma magazines (7 Shot) AND 18 missiles to a laser turret and he didn't get a scratch.

The worst thing of this is, that youd don't get any feedback about the damage status of the enemy turrets. First the laser turret fired to me and ended after some shoots of my plasma gun. Every hit shows a lite glow around the plasma turret, thinkt this schould be from the shields but you can't estimate, what's really goin on with the turret...

This behavior is really frustrating straight for a game that is out of alpha status

10. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

just use a multitool to see whether you're damaging it or not

Deadalready and Grand Pa like this.
  11. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You were hitting the shields. It's not feasible to take out a base shield with hand weapons (though it is possible).

Use multiple explosive charges detonated in rapid sequence to prevent the shield from recharging. I think about 10 charges will take down the shield.

Grand Pa likes this.
  12. Thor'sHammer

Thor'sHammer Commander

{Spoiler Alert - tells how to defeat the Drone base, but if you read this thread this far you already know ... LOL}

Well after getting my ass blown out of the sky the first time I wandered near the drone base I decided to try on foot.

Parked my SV about 600m out and started hoofing it in. Killed a bunch of patrols and took out several drones but still kept getting killed long before I got close.

So I pulled out the trusty Drill and started tunneling in from over 250m out. I stayed just in the "rock" below the surface. Watch the map circle (top right) to keep centered and know when you're there. I thought it was hilarious that 4 Drones followed me in, firing constantly but since I was below ground they didn't hurt me despite bullets flying all around me.

Once I found the bldg, I excavated the whole bottom. Thought it was cute the Devs put a name on the bottom in the middle. Guess they expected the tunneling ... Whenever I hit the bldg edge I was careful to fill in any holes or the patrols would join me in my little cave.

I first tried blowing a hole in the middle "E" letter. Once I used enough charges, it blew into an area with an elevator. I was immediately swarmed by guards & mechs. The last charge I used was too big, it destroyed the bottom of the elevator and made a big hole, easy for them to attack. If you want to do this entry right, use the Mulittool to check damage and save before you break through, and use 1 charge at a time as you get close.

I didn't want a slug fest, so I tried going to a corner of the bldg. Bingo. I came up in a Crew sleeping area with minimal guards. They kept spawning, but I just killed and looted them as they came.

I have gotten lucky in this game and found a rocket gun (in a POI looting) which only takes two shots to kill a alien turret. I shoot once, move back while it recharges and then shoot again. Shotgun works great if you're up close (like just under one) as the rocket explosion will kill you if you're too close. Sniper Rifle if no rocket, but takes several shots. My routine is: Kill the sentry guns, kill the NPC's, kill the spawning plates, move to the next room.

Found the Core room, and instead of killing the sentry guns and blowing the core I blew the generator instead. This disabled the planned explosives when the core was blown. :D

Replaced core and looted.

Grand Pa likes this.
  13. Grand Pa

Grand Pa Lieutenant

That's the thing, On my home planet this procedure was possible...

I will try this when I'm back from exploring another System ;-)

14. byo13

byo13 Captain

Help, please!
    Is there a place where I can edit/lower damage of the Zirax Drone Base Lvl4 turrets and weapons in configs?
    I can't even get closer for more than 5 seconds or my shield is eaten with pancakes and my heavy combat SV is shred to pieces.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  15. Spoon

Spoon Captain

Have a look in the BlocksConfig.ecf file. I think it's in there.

byo13 and Germanicus like this.
  16. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

The problem is, this will affect all turrets most likely. Not at home so i cannot confirm right now.

Is this vanilla or a scenario? And what is the exact name when looking at it with the "di" console command.

byo13 likes this.
  17. byo13

byo13 Captain

It's Reforged Eden. Sorry, I replied here but I thought I was posting that in the RE forum thread.
    My apologies.

The POI is "RBA_DroneBase_Savinwraith". And I just saw that the weapons there are "TurretEnemyLaser", "TurretEnemyEMP", "TurretEnemyRocket", etc.

If I change those will it have an impact in other unwanted areas of the game?
    Thanks a lot.

18. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Captain

I'm 99% certain it will affect other parts of the game. But those other parts might just be other POIs that got reworked within Reforged Galaxy so tuning them down might not be a bad idea.

No way to say for sure though as you'd have to check all POIs and look what weapons they're using.

19. byo13

byo13 Captain

In my case, that's actually a good idea.
    I'm balancing my experience in RE as I play through so it won't be harmful, I guess.
    Thanks a lot.

Alhira_K likes this.
  20. byo13

byo13 Captain

Hmm. I see this in the config:

Code:
    { +Block Id: 492, Name: TurretEnemyLaser, Ref: TurretIONCannon
      Model: @models/Blocks/Turrets/TurretsEnemy/TurretEnemyLaserPrefab
      # Model: @models/Blocks/Turrets/TurretZiraxSpherical_LaserPrefab
      Mesh-Damage-1: Mesh/D0
      Mesh-Damage-2: Mesh/D1
      Mesh-Damage-3: Mesh/D2
      Mesh-Damage-4: Mesh/D3
      SizeInBlocks: "3,2,3", display: true
      BlockColor: "110,110,110"
      WeaponItem: TurretEnemyLaserWeapon
      RotSpeed: 90, type: int, display: true
      CPUIn: 22500, type: int, display: true
      AboveTerrainCheck: false
    }
    There is no damage property. Not even in the referenced TurretIONCannon.
    Is it being overriden somewhere else?

EDIT: It's the ammo, right? Guess I found it!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Alhira_K likes this.