Any Combat Ready Vessel Build Tips to share?

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by [BUYA] Till Eulenspiegel, Jan 25, 2017.

1. [BUYA] Till Eulenspiegel

[BUYA] Till Eulenspiegel Lieutenant

A couple buddies and I recently joined a PvP server(hws) and there seems to be a lot of tribal knowledge for PvP and proper PvP designed ships. The things I gathered so far:

1. Use pyramid blocks instead of square blocks to prevent lag shots
    2. Check your ship for lag shots by entering godmode in creative to and everything invisible will be what the lagshot will go through.
    3. Don't bring CVs to a ground fight. HVs will win?
    4. Don't put cockpit in the front middle
    5. Keep energy and ammo boxes 2 blocks from anything else
    6. Redundancy
    7. keep a warp sled ship and a sv ship always ready to spawn from your factory.
    8. keep on you or at a nearby box the following items: ship core.warp drive.warp fuel tank. 25 pentaxis. cockpit. Some fuel.
    Are these true?

Are there other tips I don't know?
    Are there any truly battle ready CVs people suggest on the workshop? That I could gut, look at or heck just even use. (PvP servers seem to hold their blue prints like treasures not to be leaked)

I wish there was a separate PvP blue print thread int the blueprint section of the forum. I have much learning to do. Went hunting for tanks to place over AM and couldn't find something I liked//trusted on the workshop.

I'm sorry if this is a duplicate post, I did search couldn't find anything.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Lhetre and oah like this.
  2. DS_Marine

DS_Marine Commander

These seems all true.
    Term "lagshot" is incorrect. It should be renamed to something else like Skipshot or BTP shot(bullet thru paper).
    There are a lot of talent in the steam blueprints, but most ships there aim for good looks.
    Due to some shortcomings of the Unity game engine (and some combat mechanics), these are not good for PVP.
    If you make your ship public, you give away precious information about your ship weak spots. There are very competitive PVPers out there that could review the ship and be ready to exploit these.
    Also yeah all pvp discoveries are kept secret, because who want to help their potential enemies?
    few more tips:
    7. keep a warp sled ship and a sv ship always ready to spawn from your factory.
    8. keep on you or at a nearby box the following items: ship core.warp drive.warp fuel tank. 25 pentaxis. cockpit. Some fuel.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  3. [BUYA] Till Eulenspiegel

[BUYA] Till Eulenspiegel Lieutenant

[/QUOTE]
    I got the term from some of the people at my server.
    That seemed to the case for the workshop, along with the blueprint threads on this forum.
    This is a fair point. But I would think by now they have retired some of their old blueprints to share with noobs like me.
    I'll add these two to my list. I've always kept an SV in my bluerints, but yeah I need to do the warp sled along with keep those different items on me.

Thanks!

4. DS_Marine

DS_Marine Commander

Recently there was a pvp ship published, is is 'retired' in 5.0 due to new mechanics, but it should be pretty good anyways.
    Sadly I cannot find it right now.

5. woowoo

woowoo Captain

1. blocks that leave an empty volume between them, 6 ways connectors are the best but will make the polygon count too high.
    3. CV weapons are restricted on planets, you can easily destroy HVs with rockets (not turrets) unless it's "hidden" in a player made hole, terrain modification won't render so you'll see shots coming from the ground, HV untargetable.
    4. Was true in 4.0 when rockets were aiming at middle of ships, now they target core.
    5. Would say 3 blocks, it's the minimum from hull to any device, ammo boxes and fuel tanks will damage other devices when they explode, you can use larger generator for the increased hitpoints even though you don't need the power output. (you can fly in the red nothing happens)
    8. keep on you, if you can't, put it in constructor, more hitpoints.

Make your own ship in creative, go to the nearest moon and shoot it with artillery turrets to see how it can handle damage at any angle.
    Be aware that thrust is a vector, so if your ship thrust is 10 m/s² in all directions, max acceleration is 10 sqrt 3 or 17 m/s², always think in vectors.
    Turrets have an awful angle weakness, they can't target anything 45° above them so put some sideway.
    Long range is better, easier to avoid shots, avoiding shots is better than armor, don't lose speed so don't strafe, make rolls.
    Learn some basic manoeuvres like lead and lag pursuit, projectiles share your ship momentum, if you go backward at 92 m/s then your shots will fly to the enemy 92 m/s slower. Shooting at full speed lead pursuit = win.
    Don't fly alone.

CV/SV fights are fun but real PvP is only about exploits "everybody is using".

Lhetre likes this.
  6. DS_Marine

DS_Marine Commander

I would submit that one to the Mythbusters...

Lhetre likes this.