Builders needed: City Building

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by michaelhartman89, Jun 26, 2017.

1. michaelhartman89

michaelhartman89 Rear Admiral

texture done on one Alpha_2017-07-29_13-58-43.png

Attached Files:

2. michaelhartman89

Just finished the Matx IV Towers.

Alpha_2017-07-30_03-33-30.png Alpha_2017-07-30_03-34-24.png

Attached Files:

3. michaelhartman89

Still have 6 skyscrapers and 3 buildings to finish texture/paint on. This tank is sure running on empty. I wish we had a paint bucket to make things a bit easier

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  4. michaelhartman89

Preview of Market Square Alpha_2017-07-30_13-04-22.png Alpha_2017-07-30_13-05-35.png Alpha_2017-07-30_13-03-21.png

Attached Files:

5. michaelhartman89

only one left now NewGame_1_2017-07-30_23-52-37.png NewGame_1_2017-07-30_23-56-10.png

Attached Files:

NOLOS, Ramachandra, rainyday and 2 others like this.
  6. michaelhartman89

Alpha_2017-07-31_05-08-24.png

Attached Files:

7. michaelhartman89

Siege, you got a preference on color?

Attached Files:

8. michaelhartman89

Here is the last building, finally finished with Textures and paint.

NewGame_0_2017-08-01_12-20-24.png Alpha_2017-08-01_13-00-57.png Alpha_2017-08-01_13-01-41.png

Attached Files:

9. michaelhartman89

I wont be able to finish this city. My laptop **** out on me and I have to send it back to the states now. Hopefully in a few months I can get back online.

10. michaelhartman89

I'm holding off from building until we get a good builders update, preferably copy/paste, scaling features, paint bucket and a clipboard.

Skyscrapers are exhausting enough to build with specialty tools, let alone texture and then paint 2 to 5 sides of a block 1 at a time. In fact almost anything is exhausting to build without these tools.

Another great feature would be drawing angle blocks out at a 45° as well. The ammount of content would sky rocket if we had a decent builders update.

Is there any news on update with new blocks, textures, overlays and devices. It's been 8 months since we really got anything new and the creative players are really anxious for some new content.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  11. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

Yeap, I'm pretty much burned out at the moment. Got plenty of projects, no shortage of ideas but I just can't face the impending doom of 8 hours of texture and paint work required to finish a job. :(

12. michaelhartman89

i couldn't bear to attempt finishing a 50 floor building, not with the current texture/paint. Big builds have a huge effect on the creator. we are trying to build up our server, but it takes a ton of grunt work. it would be nice to have a few tools thrown our way.

Tyrax Lightning and oojimaflip like this.
  13. Christianholmes

Christianholmes Captain

Utopia has 14 floors. That took me 3 days with all the design, deco, painting, and texturing. I will not try anything that big again until we get some real tools. I would LOVE an import tool that could convert volumetric polygonal/vector objects to empyrion objects. So you could just import a massive sphere to start your death star. It would be great if they would document the file structure so even outside people could create import tools.

14. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

Same although I'm determined to finish my space station. It's been slow going though. I really really wish paint and texture worked with the symmetry tool or that all the current items worked properly with it.

15. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I'm still working on a Space Base for myself for future WASD Games use, & a Up-To-Date CV Build that's really ambitious & gonna try to be built to handle Asteroid Mining, Combat, AND HV + SV Transport all at once so I can try to need only that one CV to do everything i'll need CVs for. After I get them done or close enough or during a 'Procrastination Break' from them, I can try to cook up a Building here & there for ya'all to point at & laugh at cause my Creativity Force Powers are crap compared to what ya'all can do.

Is there any preference on what Building Material is used for these Buildings, & are they gonna be expected to take beatings from attacks? Also I already shun Lights & only ever use Light Textures only as is except for when-needed Grow Lights. I tend to use Windows as minimally as possible as well. I'll leave Holes in the Wall for viewing use if I need 'excessive Windowing'... or just substitute 'Observation Balconys' for the job.

P.S. I'm honored that I was among the 'Pinged', as if I could ever really be among the "Great Builders"... I might be getting Over-rated though... :oops: *Still trying to recover from Mining HV Submission for Vanilla Prefab rejection...*

michaelhartman89 and oojimaflip like this.
  16. michaelhartman89

No they are decorative in nature. I imagine the devs setting them up as admin cities, indestructible in nature.

I built what I could at the moment, keeping device numbers low by strictly using steel/concrete/wood, trusses and walkway blocks as windows.

None of my buildings have more than a few doors and maybe a window or two and the core, small generator and fuel tank. There is the exception of visitor center which has plenty of devices, bc I designed it as a place for new players to spawn in when they visit the city to conduct trade with each other and npc's.

I have abstained from using regular lights and opted for using the light up textures instead.

When we get some good optimization, I will add more lights and devices, but not too many as to overload the gpu and drag down the framerate.

With 13 skyscrapers and 5 small buildings in my city at the moment, I am able to get the full 60 fps.

I have also noticed that building subways to connect all the buildings underground, building stores and malls under the city, does not bog down the fps.

I think it is a great start to implementing cities in a future update.

With careful planning, you can have a huge city with very little drain on your computer.

I am curious about the possibility of a memory leak though if it ever reaches the size of Coruscant.

If the devs ever add my suggestions from:

http://empyriononline.com/threads/suggestions-for-next-update.8421/page-2#post-151747

Then we would have plenty of ways to decorate cities and flesh them out with pre fab parks, street lights, roads and tunnels (snap mechanics).

There are more than enough of us to ensure a beautiful Empyrion Capital is a reality for end-game explorers.

By the way, copy and paste would be a LIFESAVER Devs, if we ever want to mass produce multiple custom cities. We could save pre fabs on a clipboard and mix them in with different strucures mixing them all up a little different. It would be a YUGE addition.

JK everyone with the Donald Trump reference.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Siege Inc. and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  17. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Cool, Concrete it is! (Aside from if anywhere ever needs a Steel Specific Texture...)

Seriously, in live play I love Mining so can effortlessly get more Crushed Rock for Concrete then even a Metropolis could ever need, so I like any opportunity I can get to Concrete a Build & save Iron for PvP stuff & Vehicles.

michaelhartman89 likes this.
  18. michaelhartman89

Sounds great man, i can't wait to see it all.

I'm really hoping this thread will get a ton of attention so the devs have hundreds of buildings to choose from, so if we get cities soon, they all wont look the same like the way each planet can have muliple of the exact same POI.

To be fair to the devs, as we go along in updates the POI's are getting more diverse.

Time for me to go to bed, I gotta wake up in 4 hours .

19. Apollonius

Apollonius Lieutenant

20. michaelhartman89

Wow that's pretty cool, is it on a server?

Tyrax Lightning and Apollonius like this.