Can someone please help me with a dedicated server?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Meeting Room' started by Gary Parkin, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

My friend bought the game, after telling him how awesome it was, and I'd like to play along with him.

EDIT
    ======================================================================

I'm hoping this thread might help someone so I'm updating it with the latest information.
    My server is up and running!

My router was an old Trendnet, and although it was operation, I think and so does tech support, that it had an issue with port forwarding.

A few things that HAS to happen to get your server up and running:
    First, Windows firewall needs to have ports 3000-30004 open, both TCPIP and UDP. (2 lines)

Next you must have a static IP, or if it changes, the router will no longer forward your ports.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

Next and most important, you must open the ports on your router, called port forwarding.
    That was my issue. My ports were not opening.
    They have to be set for TCPIP and UDP.

I had that set up, but I could not see them from the outside with canyouseem.org. This is normal. Things are working but you cannot see 3000, or 3001, but you can the other ones.
    ONLY if you have the server software running!!! Important.

Next, running the desktop server shortcut that steam added, doesn't choose the correct yaml file.
    It always chooses "dedicated.yaml" - Don't edit this one. Next update will overwrite it and you'll wonder why your server is not working.

I' not going to add in all the settings, others have done that, but I hope this helps.

I trashed my Trendnet router and purchased a Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200, and the port forwarding just worked. It was super easy to set up.

======================================================================

I downloaded the Dedicated Server thingy from Steam Tools, and following these tutorials:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=690899777
    http://empyrion.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup

I forwarded ports 30000 - 30004, and 29600 - 29604, no good.

I followed the directions exactly.
    Srv_Port: 30000
    Srv_Name: Parkin

I'm hosting the server on the same machine so I tried changing Srv_Port: 29600 because I was connecting with the same PC. No go.
    Once I did get the game to connect by typing 127.0.0.1:29600 into the direct connect, but the game name was NewGame_0 and not what I named it.

Update: I know the server's running because I can see it in the task manager. I know it's reading the correct yaml file because the save game is created as GarysGame, but I can't connect Empyron to the server.
    My server name doesn't show up. (Alpha 5.1)
    I named my server Parkin because I see so many My Servers in the list.

I tried with telnet too, but running the server wasn't my issue. Been at this for almost 4 hours now. This can't be that hard.

Help please???:oops:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

YouTuber 'Whipray' made a new video for 5.1 ded.server last week, you can check that one for difference - if there is one :)

3. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

They should make a game that you don't have to be a network wizard to use. Plenty of other games give you the opportunity to play multiplayer.
    Rant done; GRRRRRRR #$#@#$

OK, I watched his last video. I can't get it to read a copy of the dedicated. yaml file so I copied then edited the original. That worked but...

My server still does not show up in the list. I can connect to it if I use the bottom box in multiplayer and type in my local ip 192.168.x.x:30000. I did lookup my external address but I haven't tried from outside yet.

I think I'm doing something wrong in my router setup. I forwarded all IP's port 30000-30004 out.
    Do I have to have a static IP?

How is everyone else doing this? I can't be the only one that's clueless on routers?

4. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Anyone renting a dedicated server? How's that work.

Or would anyone be interested in taking on 2 more players to their group?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  5. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

My actual server is working, but I still cannot see it in the list, and my buddy cannot get into my game.

6. ThalonMook

ThalonMook Lieutenant

Hi.

Have you set the Windows Firewall right that the ports are open.
    You have to make 2 ingoing rules that open port 30000-30004 UDP and TCP for Empyrion - Galactic Survival Dedicated Server.

Cu
    Thalon

7. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Thalon, I set the ports in the router but not in the firewall. I can send you pics. I just set 2 Inbound rules for 30000-30004 UDP and TCP.
    I'm running the server on the same pc that I'm playing on.
    Nothing has changed. I can't see my server name in the list, nor can I search for it, but I can type in my local ip : 30000, and I can get into a game.
    I know my outside IP. Last night before I opened the firewall, my friend tried it and was not able to get to me by typing in my external ip and port in the same box.
    What could I be missing? I tried setting up the server on another PC on my lan and I was able to get in, the same way, but not from the outside. Do I need a static IP, or some router change?

Thank you for the help.

8. ThalonMook

ThalonMook Lieutenant

Hi.
    How your settings with the portforwarding?
    Here are mine:

TCP Port 30000-30004 to TZD-Server Port 30000-30004
    UDP Port 30000-30004 to TZD-Server Port 30000-30004

The Firewall rules you can change for testing to all ports and dont forget to set the EmpyrionDedicated.exe in the Tab programms and services.

I tested with the ports 30000-30004 udp and tcp and it works as it has to.

*Edit
    Here a screenshot of my Firewall Rules:
    firewall.jpg

Cu Thalon

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  9. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

My router is set like this. I can't get 2 of them to delete so I left them.
    Router.JPG

Firewall is set like this. I added the 2 Empyron TCP and UDP In
    Firewall.JPG

I can't figure out what's stopping it.
    We played on a random server. It was fun but I didn't want to build on someone else's server.
    I was thinking of renting one for 5 bucks a month but I'm not sure how that works.
    I'd rather have my own.

Gary

10. ThalonMook

ThalonMook Lieutenant

11. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Thanks Thalon, for your help.

I saw that page while looking but it did not make any sence until you pointed it out. So I need WAN to LAN and LAN to WAN?
    That gives me the same thing as the firewall.
    Is this correct?

Router2.JPG

I can not see my server name in the list, but I know it is running because the save game shows up.

I am playing on the same machine as I am running the dedicated server. Do I need to change the ports?
    I read somewhere I had to.

I set up a static IP on my pc and set the router to that address.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  12. ThalonMook

ThalonMook Lieutenant

Hi Gary,

you have to set 2 rules on your router one TCP and one UDP. The TCP you have. So try a UDP with same settings and try again.

Cu
    Thalon

13. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

I set my protocol to both on those. I was setting the firewall.

I called Trendnet support and he said it's called a Virtual Server, so we set it.
    He said the port is still not opening, and wanted to charge me $69.00 for more support.
    router3.JPG

I'm trying 1 last thing then I'm going out and buying a Netgear router. I'm looking at the nighthawk ac1900. My manager in work has the ac5300 and he loves it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  14. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

I enabled them and
    http://www.canyouseeme.org/
    Tells me it can't see the port open. I think this router is more trouble then it is worth.

15. Javarox87

Javarox87 Captain

My thoughts on running a Dedicated Empyrion Server...

#1.) Don't pay money!
    #2.) It's easier than you think to get it to come up on the server list.
    #3.) Run the server a desktop with SSD's, and at least 16gbs of ram, the only use for that computer is running the server.
    #4.) Download Empyrion Admin Helper, its free.
    #5)You don't need a super exspensive router or any special tools unless you are using a massive overpowered 32 Core Quad Opteron Industrial server.
    #6.) The server needs to have a static IP address
    #7.) You'll need to enable telnet in your Windows services.
    #8.) Open the ports 29000 to 30004 on your router and make sure it's assigned to your computers IP address. You need a port open for the telnet and for the server so make the telnet port 19500 for example and open another port for "19500" assigned to your computers IP address. Once again make sure that your computer always keeps the same IP address. The setting should be in your routers advanced settings.
    (The networking aspect shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to set up)
    #9.) Learn all you can about the Yaml Code, dedicated.yaml, sector.yaml, playfeilds, prefabs, and how they all work together with your save.
    #10.) Download Piddlefoots or Destiny's entire content as an example in the Hanger Bay thread. It's a dedicated server in a zip file ready to go.

During Alpha 4 Destiny ran 25 players and 10+ playfeilds running on a good ISP and a Colortyme $50 router... the desktop only had 250gbs of SSD space, 32gbs of ram and an AMD FX 6300 when it first started. That was enough, we upgraded our hardware and at our peak had 40 players and 25+ playfeilds running on the same ISP and same Router without fault or crazy lag.

Do your research and watch all the YouTube videos, read all the forum posts. With dedicated effort in your research you will get a server up and running and be able to create a truly unique experience for your players. Don't give up.

Also don't worry about going to third party sites or registering your server anywhere, those sites can lead to things you don't want...

Don't forget to add a password to your telnet...

Telnet code for command prompt...

Telnet localhost (Port)

16. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Good information. I did get it working as I posted in my opening comments.
    It was my crappy router. I replaced it with a better one and everything worked.
    I didn't have to use telnet either. :) It's only for 2 players.