Custom Planets that are updated every Large Update. DEDICATED SERVERS.For Beginners.

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by piddlefoot, Nov 14, 2016.

1. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

First some of the biomes from space will look different to what the planet actually is, this is because I manually changed the biome in the playfield, so planets like Abaloney look like a desert planet from space, but when you get there its actually a Lava planet, there is a reason for this, relates to the story of the planet in the description section of yaml.

The terrain loading bug I see a lot on my low end system but not often on my top end system, its a tricky one but what Ive found is if you slow down to around 50m/s when entering a planet it usually loads the correct playfield.

Whats actually happening is your client PC, the one connecting to the server is loading the wrong playfield, Im not sure why, but the work around is to just log off and log back on, usually fixes it.

I have asked the devs to clear this up for us so with luck we will see a fix for it soon.

2. aaronjohnston16

aaronjohnston16 Ensign

Hi,

First of all, thanks for this.

As someone who has recently came to the game and just setup a Dedicated Server this is helpful. I don't really have a lot of time to tinker as much as I would like to.

I think I have an issue however, the game is so dark at night in my server that's its almost unplayable. I have tried to revert playfield settings for lights back to default but its no different. If I join another server I am able to see at night so believe its server side related to my own server.

Can you advise what has gone wrong?

I also left the Akua (planet) size default but seems a little small, are these modified in anyway size wise and if not, would it be recommended to up the size a little?

Final question is, the playfields are already in play on my server - once generated will any changes to the playfield.yaml not take effect unless save is wiped and game restarted?

3. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

The planets darkness is controlled via the planets playfield file, each planet has its own light settings, a couple of the planets in the set are dark nights, but most should not be that way.
    You can adjust how dark or light it is at the toppish part of the playfield file.

You will have to do that to the playfield file of that planet in the templates folder.
    Then when you generate a new game it generates planets straight from the Templates folder.

Then it saves a copy of all of that to the saves folder, you game will now load that map from the save folder from that point onwards.

So if you make changes to the Template folder you wont see the changes unless you go into your save folder and delete that playfield, then the game can generate a new one when you next visit that planet in the game.

Note. By deleting playfield folders inside the save folder you will loose any builds on that planet/playfield.

PLANET SIZE.

I have experimented with planet size with success in making them bigger, but as tester my logs would be of little use so ALL of the planets in that upload are ALL Default size, none of them are size modified.

You could adjust that in the yaml file if you want to experiment, but I wouldn't do that to a game already started, risky for bugs.

So don't delete anything in the Template folder.
    Delete playfields in the SAVES folder of the game your already playing.

So if it was Akua you want to renew, go to the saves folder , find the game save, open it and find the Akua playfield folder and delete it.

Re-start server [server must be shut down to do that by the way ] go to Akua, it will generate a new Akua with the new settings.

4. aaronjohnston16

aaronjohnston16 Ensign

I managed to fix the light issue, I think I was editing in the wrong place.

/185.XXX.XXX.XXX/Content/Playfields

But it seems to have resolved since amending same settings in.

/185.XXX.XXX.XXX/Saves/Games/NewGame_0/Playfields

Changes to world now would require a wipe then of bases and ships I am guessing? I tested regenerating POI's earlier today which went well enough.

Lighting issue sorted, but size I'll have to live with - only other thing I wonder about is bringing back drone attacks. I'm about to visit some of the custom worlds now as I've not even laid eyes on (Now I have my CV I'm leaving Akua to check them out) :)

5. BennieDaBlade

BennieDaBlade Ensign

Hey Mate,

Love your work!!!

I am going to go back to using your universe from 6.0 on as the custom editing we were doing has fallen by the wayside.

Should I drop your universe in from day one of 6.0, or wait the few days till you have the performance enhancements you mentioned finalised?

Will need to have something up for people to play on and trying to avoid another full wipe.

Cheers,

Oh, forgot to ask, I assume it works ok with the HWS Admin tool?

6. BennieDaBlade

BennieDaBlade Ensign

They could not wait, now have your universe installed on BlackStump. :)

7. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

You can scroll down the , close to bottom, in planets YAML and set drones to extreme on every planet you do that to, most are already at the extreme end but a few are not if you want to change them.

Yes for the effects to work on that planet after changing the YAML in the Template folder you will need to delete that playfield from the Saves folder of your current game, then when you go to that planet next it generates a new on with the new settings.

8. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

It should work with any HWS code mainly because they do an outstanding job of the code they write anyway and as a 3rd part program, it should not be effected by it, short of version changes where you might have to update there manager.

Glad to hear , did you check the sector file, one of the planets we noticed has same co-ords which can lead to problems, its fixed in new version, but the performance update , its not ready for release yet and will be probably a couple more weeks yet.

Anyway see you in the server, me and a mate will visit you !

9. d mit

d mit Ensign

Hi piddlefoot love the time and effort you put into giving the community,got a few running on our server...thumbs up..I wonder if you could help us, you mention you can put a link in the server description...we have tried to put a link to our servers web page but no luck cant seem to figure out how its done.Could you maybe straighten us out?

10. BennieDaBlade

BennieDaBlade Ensign

I didn't check the sector file, but would Nexium be one of the planets? Reason I ask is I got stuck in one orbit and my CV in the other. :) Just my luck it was the first one I visited. :)

Which one do I need to change and to what. Don't worry, I'll redownload shortly and swap them over.

See you in the swamp. :)

P.S. found the duplicate, it was Nexium. Which playfield and what should the co-ords be? Just realised what you said so if I redownload it will be the same.... :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  11. BruteMan

BruteMan Ensign

Hello Piddlefoot,

Great little package here were enjoying it just started a couple days ago but were running into a stumbling block not sure if its a server setting or your POI's but we started on Amy and now have gotten out to the moon just about every POI we find that is not part of the default game (your custom ones) I.E. Farm on the moon of amy is invinceable its not flagged adm (which were finding a lot of custom POI's flagged as ADM) is this intended or is there something funky going on here?

Edit: Nvm about the farm it was just a bad spawn but the other structures there's a lot of adm on poi's in lazarus ...

Brute.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  12. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

5.2.0 Update.

Do not update your files until you get 5.2.0 or better.
    Should be within days.

OK here is the performance update for this planet set.
    There have been some pretty big changes.
    For this to work properly you will need to do a full wipe of the server and start a new game.

First,
    The sector file has had some big changes, there is a new space playfield, its a PvP playfield, it has over 5000 asteroids and a couple of dozen ore asteroids, and a few bases.
    The solar system has 3 planets that have multiple moons, if you run a server online with a good average player count I recommend setting just those 3 planets as starters, all 3 of them are located to the edge of the solar system and players must work there way into the middle to get all the recourses.
    If your unsure how to set or unset starter planets PM me on steam, or theres a wiki guide online.

The solar system is much more spread out now.

Planets, and playfields.
    One of the planets has been removed due to it corrupting the save files, Im unsure why so its gone. Kermet.
    There is new AI CVs in the game and I have added some hostile warships to some of the space playfields, up to 5 of them will spawn in and patrol near the trade station in most playfields, they are ships from the workshop modified with Alien cores given a group name and sent to kill yall !
    Take a tough ship.
    Set to spawn every 30 minutes.
    There are also added freighters, 8 of them in total, so you should see plenty of freighter activity with these maps.

The maps have gained an average of 30 FPS more.

The new space playfield is a couple of rings with an omicron chunk of asteroids around the middle like a small moon has been smashed there.

Here is the link to dropbox for the files, just unzip them, z-zip is free.

BACK UP YOUR FILES BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER. To a different drive is usually best.

Once you have a back up, delete your sector folder and prefab folder and templates folder. All in the dedicated server folder.

Copy and paste my sector folder and my prefab folder and my templates folder back into the dedicated server folder.

Change the dedicated YAML if you like to suit your desires.

Or you can leave it, your game online will be called ''Men of Mayhem''.

If you need a dedicated yaml made up for your own server just PM me with the details of what you want it set up to and I can make a yaml just for your server.

Enjoy, any issues drop us a line.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4twkc6uyn420q7j/5.0 Upload PLANETS.zip?dl=0

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    djsvendee and Bakkur like this.
  13. BennieDaBlade

BennieDaBlade Ensign

Love your work Mate

piddlefoot likes this.
  14. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Yea the devs hav added admin POIs to most maps but they don't really play a real role yet unless your on a busy server, when they get the SP market system running it may become a lot clearer what there up to.

15. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

AI CV test of the Playfield testing 5 extra CVs spawning into a fight with one Combat CV blockading them.

ButtonPusher and rainyday like this.
  16. Sofa Kingdom

Sofa Kingdom Commander

Barren2\playfield.yaml is missing "RandomResources:" on line 105

17. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Will check it out, thanks Sofa.

Sofa Kingdom likes this.
  18. djsvendee

djsvendee Ensign

good work.

19. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

That is so cool! How come this hasn't drawn any attention? More NPC ships flying around and fighting each other sounds great.

20. Sixara™

Sixara™ Ensign

I did everything as the instructions stated but do not see the planets on the map. Any suggestions?