Eyeglass wearers opinion sought

Discussion in 'Other Discussion' started by CYGVAN, Jan 10, 2017.

1. CYGVAN

CYGVAN Ensign

Hi all,

I would like an opinion from eyeglass wearers as to what you use.

I recently had an eye exam and was surprised to learn that my eyes are still in good shape since my last exam 16 years ago. I need a tiny correction in my right eye and nothing in the left. I do however, need reading glasses as I have been having trouble with that (typical getting old stuff).

I can't make up my mind if I should go single vision grinds (so 1 pair for reading +1.50 and 1 pair for intermediate/computer) or progressives with intermediate as main field and reading. I already know I dont want a bifocal line as that would drive me nuts. Ive read about aspherical lenses too. $$$.

The additional expense of progressive grinds is steering me away but having not needed glasses in the past I dont know how much of a pain it is to keep 2 pairs near my computer. I dont want to dismiss progressives merely on cost alone.

I often do closeup work on electronics and other stuff at the same time Im using my computer so reading boost is a must.

I do know that I want the blue wavelength protection and Im aware of the orange/yellow tint debate. Personally Id go with clear.

Ive been suffering with serious dry eye and fatigue after using computer for just an hour lately. The dry eye drops have been helping tremendously but I need to address things in general with glasses.

Any advice?

My goal is to reduce the fatigue and improve vision while performing my main daily tasks which involves heavy computer use as well as close up detail work (not the kind that needs a magnifying glass tho).

thanks

-cyg

2. Rester Valentine

Rester Valentine Lieutenant

I used reading glasses for 3 years before my sight degraded to the point where I needed perscrips. When I did get perscrips I chose seemless bifocals because I was a professional driver at the time. I found that the seemless bifocals are great for gaming. If you still have good distance then basic reading glasses are okay. Gaming may be an issue so make your own judgement as you feel is more comfortable.

3. Pyston

Pyston Captain

I have worn glasses for about 29 years. I don't even know what kind mine are. I am near sighted and use glasses for everything except looking at stuff up close. So, I can't really be of any help in this regard.

What I will say is that make sure your monitor is calibrated and is not too bright. I look at a computer screen for 10-12 hours every day and never get any fatigue what so ever. A calibrated monitor is a must.

4. lactobeezor

lactobeezor Ensign

I have 2 pair of glasses for computer use. A normal pair that i take off when using computer and a single vision pair. I had my doc to give me a script for single vision with a focal distance of 34 inches, the distance from my eyeball to screen. Works wonderful. Give it some thought 2 pair work best for me.

5. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer