Multiplayer Game Mechanics Questions

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Meeting Room' started by DC_Sparx, Feb 1, 2017.

1. DC_Sparx

DC_Sparx Lieutenant

I have set up a Multiplayer server for some friends and myself. Everything is working great, game looks awesome and is fun, however, I do have a few questions on how the mechanics work.

Most of us come from the world of Minecraft (I know, this isn't Minecraft), but it does raise some questions. Do areas of the game "unload" when players aren't in that area for a certain period of time?
    Example: I have a base built, generators are on so fridge stays on and food doesn't spoil. If we all go to space, will the generator and fridge continuously consume energy, using up our power cells if no one is around?
    Along the same lines of that question, what if we all log off for the night? Does our base "unload" and save our resources, or are they continually consumed?

Again, if we are logged off, can drones and aliens still attack our bases? The offline protection machine only works against factions.

One more question... The dedicated server has a configuration option "ProtectTime". The description for this option isn't the best. Is this setting the amount of time the base is protected, or the amount of time until the base is protected? Does this protect against factions or alien life or both?

I see in the config file that the timers count down even in deactivated playfields, are those the parts that are loaded and unloaded when players are in those playfields?

If you just have links, I will do reading, I am just having trouble finding the links myself.

Thanks in advance.

2. ECubed

ECubed Commander

Typically the playfields unload around 15-20 seconds after the last player leaves. You can see this activity by enabling telnet and connecting. Once unloaded, very little happens on that playfield.

3. DC_Sparx

DC_Sparx Lieutenant

That helps an enormous amount, thanks for the reply!

4. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Sorry to hijack your thread Sphynx, but this seems like a good place to compile great multiplayer information.

If I want to add planets or edit any of the files, do I have to start a new game?

5. Tbosh

Tbosh Commander

You will have to restart your server, yes.

6. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Thanks for the info Tbosh.
    I don't mind restarting my server because it's local. Will we have to start a new game?

7. Tbosh

Tbosh Commander

If you mean start over from level 0, most likely as most changes to files will not take affect till restart or complete wipe and restart.

8. DC_Sparx

DC_Sparx Lieutenant

No, you don't have to start over with a new world. You can add planets to an existing save and they will be generated. Just be careful, yes it does require a restart, but not a fresh start of your galaxy.

9. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Thanks. I'll mess with planets in SP first.

10. DKMSH8R

DKMSH8R Ensign

If I make changes to the dedicated.yaml file for my server like ship limits. Do I need to wipe my server? I have changed some settings and they don't seem to be working

11. mid endian

mid endian Commander

no, changes to the server file do require a reset, just a restart.