1.8 crosshairs not targeting

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by boolybooly, May 23, 2022.

1. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

I just encountered a strange snafu in a Skillon start with high effects for temp / rad +food +oxy , so I was keypressing crazily to see if it can be done without radiation death.

Somehow the crosshairs stopped working in the middle of this, I could find resources like hotdog plant but could not pick them. I could line up the emergency tool in resources mode on a boulder (blue plasma beam effect) and fire but there would be no hits and instead the ground mining decal would show and turn and the ground beneath the boulder would mine as if the boulder was not there.

I quit the game and reloaded and the problem was gone. I was again able to mine the boulders and pick hotdogs.

I dont know if I somehow miskeyed a hotkey which switches off the crosshairs or if this is a bug.

I have not been able to repllicate yet so I am mentioning it in case anyone else has encountered it or knows why it happened.

2. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

It just happened again in the same location. Just after the "magnetic signature" advisory which suspends play and marks opportunity on the map.

I will try to replicate it.

3. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

This definitely replicates, I also unpredictably get as many as three repeated advisories for the Opportunity as I progress N towards it.

To replicate.

1. Start game save "Skillon hard 0R BUG-REPLICATE".
    2. Move north over the top of the rise and into a valley.
    3. Dismiss the Opportunity detection with mark on HUD option.
    4. Head towards palm trees on the opposite side of the valley.
    5. Try to target plam trees and other objects for harvest on the way.
    6. Close to the trees it stops working and you get no HUD indicator of what you are targeting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/77scncfiisfz0sc/Skillon hard 0R BUG-REPLICATE.zip?dl=0

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  4. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

I have just twigged this may be the same bug as another report which is "currently not reproducible".

The save I have uploaded to dropbox is reproducible in my set up and the fault even returns after reloading the game and apparently fixing it in the short term.

If it is the same in devs' setups as it is in mine, that might make this a reproducible bug and give you a chance to track it down.

https://empyriononline.com/threads/...rces-within-the-perimeter-of-your-base.99272/

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Pach and BushiNeko like this.
  5. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

Keeps happening, in another 1.8 save it has become impossible to reverse by reload or even by exit game, restart and reload, so it is now more similar to the previous bug report.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  6. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

This has just happened again in 1.8II, again immediately after the detection of the Opportunity.

Whether that is due to the detection or because the detection occurs outside the starter area I dont know but this is the same pattern as the save above.

So it is reproducible.

As you can see in the screenshot the crosshairs detect nothing to harvest when pointed at a carbon substrate boulder. Normally they would indicate the target and allow resource gathering. At the time this screen was taken, mining the boulder only caused terrain surface mining beneath it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2813307366

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  7. boolybooly

boolybooly Commander

Further to the previous post,

I tried to apply "wipe Skillon terrain" in console as per fix in thread , left and reloaded, by which time the boulder I was at became harvestable but other items not far from it were still not harvestable even after applying the fix another time.

I entered godmode to try to map the extent of the problem as my avatar was about to die because of this showstopper bug.

I found everything in front of my location towards the Opportunity and tower was non harvestable for a couple of hundred meters.

As I flew around checking stuff, I noticed non harvestable items were becoming harvestable. So I went back to a landmark which was a palm tree which had not been harvestable and it was still not harvestable nor were the hot dog plants around it. I tested how far this area extended again and found only about ten meters away things were harvestable. When I got back to the palm tree it was at last harvestable.

This suggests the problem is data for objects beyond the starter area updating slowly for some reason even though the model is visible. Items in the players vicinity which should be top priority are being treated as if a background task and taking several minutes to become playable.

It imposes a long delay (5-10 mins) on harvesting towards the Opportunity and means you need to gather inside the start area and cannot go beyond it out to the Opportunity early and harvest on the way there to set up an oxygen base so it interferes with strategy significantly.

Plus there are often jarring hiccups in the flow of play when getting notifications, so I think the data handling is not smooth.

I am using an I7 9700k (8 physical cores, no hyperthreading), Z390 chipset, 32Gb DDR4 2666Mhz C16, RTX2070S on a 1080p monitor. So those must be quite heavy momentary loads to make this system chug, is all.