INFO & FEEDBACK [A11] New Pilot HUD

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Oct 27, 2019.

?

Did you understand the explanation and how the new Pilot HUD works?

1. Got it!

90.3%
  2. Not really! (Please comment on WHAT exactly you did not understand!)

9.7%
  1. Raswayare

Raswayare Ensign

Hello :)

Great interface I like it.

Is there a key combination or any other way to “jump” the cruise control arrow (6) from 0% to 100% without holding down CTRL-arrow key for seconds?

EGS_CC.png

In the “old” system you hit Shift+Key and would go to top speed and stay there, now you have to wait and push the buttons to watch the cruse control arrow go up.

Worst though, if you are already at top speed and just want to activate cruise control it jumps back to 0% and you have to watch the arrow go up again as you re-accelerate.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Read through all “experimental” posts but might have missed something...

Greetings,
    Ras

Captain_Brian likes this.
  2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    No, you are not doing anything wrong - currently there is no quick-100% speed button

Raswayare likes this.
  3. cmguardia

cmguardia Captain

Could you ask that when you press CTRL the current speed value is maintained and from there you can go down or up (S or W) to leave it fixed? It is really annoying in the current mode.

Podria pedir que cuando presione CTRL el valor de velocidad actual se mantenga y a partir de allí pueda bajar o subir(S o W) para dejarlo fijo? Es realmente molesto en el modo actual.

4. This would be my preferred way to handle it as well. Exactly as you put it.
    Have it grab the vessels current speed and automatically use that as the starting point then allow up or down adjustment.

That solves the sudden jump to a complete stop.

5. Captain_Brian

Captain_Brian Commander

Agreed. Toggling it between the modes is also much better than having to hold down CTRL-W or CTRL-D to throttle up or down, it's just awkard.

6. Monroe

Monroe Commander

You guys all have it exactly right as far as I'm concerned. The sudden jump to zero throttle with any change in direction is a total downer. I like the idea of toggle-on/off and then adjust. I would also like a 'modifier key + number' to set the throttle at that percentage. As in, 'Shift + 6' sets cruise control throttle to 60%. In any event, the way it is now is extremely annoying.

7. Raswayare

Raswayare Ensign

Played a round; noticed myself hitting Shift-W and opening the map right after. And stopping.

That’s also gone now as an instant action and it’s so useful for directionally challenged people like myself.

Cmguardias idea sounds pretty good!

8. xerxes86

xerxes86 Commander

Kinda unrelated, on exams I found the best thing is a good nights sleep. Cramming really didn't work for me, had excellent results with just resting. Anyway, I read these and when there is so much like now, I am not going to remember it all. Just have to play and work with it.

elmo and stanley bourdon like this.
  9. runlykhel

runlykhel Captain

Some opinions:
    In space, horizon marker (10) is rather distracting, I assume this might help align to POIs and Stations; It would be less distracting while doing mining etc. if it could be disabled, switched on or off as needed. I am aware F6 turns off the hud, but I'd rather not fly around blind.:)

I agree with, as some have stated already, that the compass portion, the part that shows N,S,E,W, would seem better if moved more towards the top of the display; even halfway to top would be an improvement.:cool:

Also the whole, coming to a stop when viewing the map in flight, needs to be corrected; very disconcerting.o_O

These opinions have probably been voiced, I am posting this to add a little more weight than just a like.:)

stanley bourdon and Kassonnade like this.
  10. Zaflis

Zaflis Commander

While cruise mode driving is very much needed, it seems the new way is a step backwards from the Shift-W instant max speed target. Varying speeds would be understandable if ships were able to move much faster on planets. But as it is now, you only want max speed... anything else is too slow. So the speed altering from 0 to max is way too slow.

xerxes86, Raswayare and krazzykid2006 like this.
  11. runlykhel

runlykhel Captain

More opinions…lol

I have been flying the modified (slightly) SV_Tier_1d that I refer to in another post, all over a desert start planet (the ship handles very well), and I’ve noticed, especially flying over mountains, that I have to look up and left to see distance to ground, while the not so relevant, to me, distance to sea-level with its nice up and down action is in a very comfortable to see area on the screen.

I think switching the location, sea-level difference upper and ground distance on slider, would be more intuitive.:)

If programing makes the Idea too difficult, maybe move the distance to ground to the lower left somewhere.:cool:

Germanicus likes this.
  12. Trig

Trig Captain

I couldn't figure out what that symbol was, had to come here to find out what that gauge was for. I would suggest changing that symbol to a good old O2 (small 2, like the commonly seen symbol for oxygen). Or anything that can be fairly easily recognized as meaning oxygen (i have no idea what that symbol is supposed to mean, definitely didn't think of oxygen when first seeing it).

And on that note, are all players expected to come and study this thread when they're unsure what an element of the new hud means?
    I would suggest adding this info to the game tutorials or PDA at some point, in a way that can be easily looked up at anytime.

13. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

And if not a PDA/Tutorial than a method for "Mouse over" to tell you whats what..for ALL HUD symbols

14. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

The fact that these symbols need such an explanation is proof that they've failed to do their job. Which is to convey their purpose with as little description as possible.

15. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Overall the new HUD is very nice, and a welcome QoL improvement.

Have a couple thoughts for future refinements.

1) would be nice if there was a minimalist version. The upper parts; Nav bar, Distance from Ground and Speed. Sit those just above the new Ammo/Shield. Have the Boost dial in gap between Pwr/O2 and hotbar. Cycle thru via F6 so easy to change between?

2) Option to nest Waypoint Markers to the Nav bar. Still show the icons in the upper right mini-map, and show the 'point' in the 'real' view, but have the text only show right above the dot on the Nav bar when it's near center. Would help reduce visual clutter in the 'real' view when there are a lot of points close together.

-- The O2 icon looks like scuba tanks, which is cool, made sense to me, but a single classic 'tank' outline would likely be more readily recognized.

Andreykl likes this.
  16. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Oh WOW that's what that was! I thought it was the barbecue and two hot dogs were cooking. No wonder I never got the diner gong :D

Supay, StyleBBQ and Kassonnade like this.
  17. dispereo

dispereo Ensign

Hi,

I think I might have put that in the wrong forum, so I just put the quote of my feedback which is focusing on the HUD only:

Hope that's OK to have it posted like that.

Would be great if the crosshair could be slightly adjusted.

Thanks.
    Philippe

PS: screenshots obviously taken out of a flyer, but it also applies to any HUD, incl. when walking around. :)

StyleBBQ likes this.
  18. Amberyl

Amberyl Lieutenant

Another thing...when you are flying the control of the HUD is reacting too fast to mouse movement, same that was with the F5 drone....very difficult and over reacts. any suggestion how to fix....

dispereo likes this.
  19. dispereo

dispereo Ensign

Interesting, I only have "too fast" reactions with the mouse in Drone (also partially because controlling the drone works slightly different). Slightly annoying but for myself nothing too bothersome.

However, I have the same "too fast" reactions that you describe when I am flying using Q and E to roll. I just want to fly leveled, hit Q or E and I rolled too far and have the same problem just on the other side. Probably similar issue that you experience with the mouse. Though I think the reason why it doesn't bother me with the mouse, is the fact that I have one of those adjustable Razer mice where I can change sensitivity. But with the keyboard I can't, so for me it's VERY annoying there. :)

20. Andreykl

Andreykl Commander

From my point of view speed bar is still too big to be usefull and distructs me in space more than helps. Altitude line is still useless in space. Everything else feels much better than it was in beta (either I got used to it or it was indeed a color thing).

New system uses thrusters to rotate ship. Would be nice if we could limit and level it somewhat... at the moment, try removing gyros.

+1 in combat a version that doesn't clatter UI so much would be much more usefull.
    P.S. But customizable UI/HUD skins will be even better, however they are very unlikely(

StyleBBQ likes this.