INFO & FEEDBACK [A11] Thrusters: Progression Rebalancing

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Looking at the Charts and the numbers for CV Truster I would suggest to add a new type of XL Truster between the current L and XL and change the current XL to XXL (as it really is XXL). Block-wise this new XL Truster could have the same size as the current one which would give the opportunity to make it upgradeable.
    Trust-wise it could be at 2-times the trust of the L Truster and not as in the current state 4-times. Level 20 in the Tech Tree. Mass 320tons...and so on.
    Just an idea..:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Kassonnade, jmtc and dpburke2 like this.
  2. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

Personally, I have long wished that the L thruster from CVs got a HV and SV equivalents. Unlike the XL with railings, the large block L thruster model should work as is scaled down for the smaller vessels. Would love it if the large block XL thruster also made the leap down into the smaller blocks as well, but that would require a new model to remove the railings. Mostly for the HVs. Either that, or perhaps the Jet-M get an HV crossover....

And while I would love a larger selection of CV thrusters, bringing the Jets up to CV scale doesn't seem consistent for Empyrion. Without creating a whole new model, the only one that makes sense to get converted to CV scale is the L thruster from HVs. Of course, since we already have an L thrusters in CVs, it would be a change to the naming convention.

As for your suggestion for a thruster between the existing L and XL in CVs, I think a tier 2 of the existing L thruster would make more sense. Get the in between step without creating a whole new model from scratch. We already see tier 2 thrusters in HVs and soon will see some in SVs. So that would be continuation of the current pattern to get that in between step for CVs.

Germanicus likes this.
  3. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

But with CPU, the only thing that makes sense is to add in between steps, not adding larger thrusters to HVs.

Germanicus likes this.
  4. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ Captain

When we talk about noticing, Do i read it correctly, that there will be only 4 Thruster Sizes for CVs?
    Tha would be a huge bummer.

5. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

There a r e only 4;).

6. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    There have always been only 4 for CV. ;)

7. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

:eek: I am unable to count:oops:

Kassonnade and krazzykid2006 like this.
  8. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Ok, but why is this a bummer?

(Note: I tend to add a "lower tier" CPU thrusters for CV, so you could make use of them and save CPU but also have lower / half the thrust .. with the possibility to upgrade to the current level)

StyleBBQ and Germanicus like this.
  9. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

It's not, i thought there are 5 kinds of CV thrusters, and going from 5 to 4 would have been a bummer.
    At the moment i happy with the CV thruster.
    Although thinking about it a fifth would could be cool. I am thinking of a thruster with the size of 2 x 3/2 x 1. (1 high like S, 2 or three long like m or L, and 2 wide.) So it would not be a round one but a flat more oval one. Thrust and Energy consumption between M and L obviously.

Kassonnade likes this.
  10. jmtc

jmtc Captain

I like Germanicus's "tier-1 XL thruster" idea simply because it would provide a good retrofit option for the existing XLs, making ship refitting under CPU limits much less an ornerous prospect. Because of the differences in block size it is difficult to retrofit a single XL with single or clustered S,M,L's, particularly when the hull has been designed around XL engine placements.

11. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

OT but can I get an, "heck yeah!" for non-round thruster nozzels? :)

This --> [==] instead of only this --> [=] .. so exhaust would be 1x2 rather than 1x1

Round exhaust is sooo 2150 :D

Docsprock likes this.
  12. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
  13. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I think there could be something between Thrusters M and Thrusters L to avoid using lots of Thrusters M as a middle.

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ likes this.
  14. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I hope they re-balance the CPU values on the thrusters soon.

I removed 57 T2 RCS units and 86 thrusters from my old "Planet Buster" CV and I was still over the Tier 4 CPU limit with only 10 large thrusters. (and the ship barely able to get off the ground.)

Just 12 Large thrusters will put you over the Tier 4 CPU limit.
    Only 3 XL thrusters will put you over the Tier 4 CPU limit.

I understand that CV's are not supposed to be agile, but I would like to have a little CPU left over for devices after adding enough thrusters to get it off the ground.

/gripe off.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  15. pwwatson1

pwwatson1 Ensign

@Hummel-o-War When I was reviewing my BPs for the new A11 (2714) public release, I noticed on the “P-Menu” Stats screen that there is a “Cargo Mass Available” number being displayed.

What is the assumed Gravity for your calculations?

Is it a Dry weight for the vessel or does it include Fuel, O2 & Pentaxid?

Are you using any blocks for the possible cargo weight in the Vessel’s storage systems?

I also noticed that HVs do not show any Lift numbers for the Hover Engines. Can this be added?

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use for calculating the Vessel capacity with cargo at a specific Gravity number. I use the Dry weight of the vessel + total cargo volume full of Hardened Steel “L” blocks against the Bottom Thruster in Kn at a given Gravity. I also add any carried vessels weight if appropriate.

Can you explain the calculations that you use so that I can maybe add to or adjust mine to be at least similar as yours? I do not know how complex yours are.

This is a time saver for me when I build to know if I have enough thrusters for the intended cargo capacity / vessel weight and Gravity.

My example was done in Creative on a Temperate 0.96G planet. I used All cargo systems (Main cargo, Ammo & Personal cargo boxes) in the vessel for these calculations. I have included screenshots of a sample SV of mine from the “P” menu screens and my Excel calcs for a 1G and 4G variations.
    upload_2019-11-26_6-55-41.png
    upload_2019-11-26_6-56-28.png
    upload_2019-11-26_6-56-43.png
    upload_2019-11-26_6-56-56.png
    upload_2019-11-26_6-57-20.png

upload_2019-11-26_6-57-46.png

16. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

To date, I've only been able to make use of the the XL CV thrusters for two builds - one, a replicate of the Lockheed Atlas V 400 rocket, and the other my Citidel-class CV, which required 6 upward XL's to lift the monstrosity. Forward/Reverse and lateral thrust is provided by clusters of Large thrusters, and it still eats fuel like popcorn (45 minutes from full, in space, with the XL's turned off). But the Citidel was build to serve as a full-scale "base" with the option of going "Enough of this place, we're out of here." and settling a new world - something it did do exceptionally well, just had to pack up the few BA-only items and base turrets and rebuild a fairly basic framework for it to land in, drop in the Furnaces, Turrets, ATM's and some solar power for the actual BA portion, and a new world was colonized.

The Atlas V was one part homage, one part "I wonder if this will work?" and it did, and looked spectacular, though the only way you could really steer and control it was from 3rd person, but hey... fair trade.

17. boo

boo Commander

is there any board where we can see how much each truster give "rcs" to a ship ?

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ likes this.
  18. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Impossible for the item to show that until after it's placed since it's dependant on location relative to the Center of Mass of the ship's it's placed on.
    Once placed though, you can see in the Torque mode of the statistics screen how much force it's applied and to which direction.