A12 EXP - New Config Files

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

In my playing around with max spawns, it seems anything over about 250 or so (maybe up to 300 is OK - need to test again) can result in bizarre spawning of drones and transports right on top of the target. Similarly I have seen troops spawning on or even inside the target, with the result the target base will be lost pretty much immediately due to a core hack. Oddly, I used to see the core hacking bubbles but just don't see them anymore.

I had hoped to be able to create attack twice as hard as the existing in game ones just by cranking up the price. I didn't try re-pricing the individual spawns (drone types, troop carrier, bomber etc) to encourage more to spawn - I wonder if that is actually the only viable method at the moment, however I am also wondering if the bizarre spawns past 300 (or whatever it is) are an artifact of trying to spawn too much for the game to handle and now it is throttling spawns instead of just crashing as it used to.

The other bit I really wanted to tweaked was the attack probability calculation (for eg, to severely ramp up frequency and intensity of attack when in their territory and very hostile to them). I don't see any access to this - just the prices associated with difficulty levels.

A word of warning, when I was testing attack using 'ba w Zirax <price>', I eventually ended up with an unrecoverable crash followed bv ie save game corruption (ie unloadable game). I managed to recover the save by deleting various files from the playfield directory in the hope this may load again. Eventually I got it to load, and don't see any sign of having lost anything, but not sure TBH.

Sadly it seems this may all be a bit fragile to mess with too much at the moment - I guess they probably know this, hence the max currently used price of 230.

2. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

Is their merit in splitting this up then, so that configuration contains a version of it that just contains support for thing referenced by configuration and keep a global one for everything else? Logically it does seems that at least part of this file is logically a part of configuration related assets.

If scenarios could send up their own override to the client, then I cant see the override being particularly big - just a little more data to send up in the initial post-connect sync?

It would be really useful to separate this out to allow scope for easy and clean addition of new items (that reference existing assets) etc.

Ideally we would have patching config+i18n strings via a mod mechanism as well.

Ephoie likes this.
  3. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

The problem is that there's no explanation for Base attack scenario use. It lists a half-dozen scenarios with nothing that says which ones are used in survival or if they're even used at all since what's in the default factionwarfare config doesn't match the reality of what gets sent at you.

I have unfortunately lost my backup of my original factionwarfare, so can anyone with an unmodified one confirm whether they get a "GetPriceForLevel" out of bounds error? In which case it's an old problem that they still haven't fixed.

Ephoie likes this.
  4. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

Yes - I canty remember offhand at what amount, maybe about 500 or so.

Attached to save you having to validate.

Its worth getting to know how to use git if you don't already for dealing with this stuff. I use SourceTree as a UI for it and Beyond Compare for merging my changes with Eleon updates. Also Git could serve as a means of distributing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  5. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

After some further poking around it seems that the base attacks use:

{ Element Name: FactionSettings
    Faction: Zirax
    ScenarioGroup: Zirax
    Lvl1MinPrice:25
    Lvl1MaxPrice:40
    Lvl5MinPrice:110
    Lvl5MaxPrice:130
    Lvl10MinPrice:200
    Lvl10MaxPrice:232

This references a scenario group, so look for scenario with the IsInGroup: "Zirax" (Surv0-3).

I suspect that the maximum price allowable in the faction settings is determined by the max count of all the referenced unit spawns - if you exceed this, I suspect you get an error (instead of automatically capping at the highest possible spawn out of the given scenarios). I havnt tested that far, but that is my guess. 383 Seems to be the max price for current SurvN series scenarios.

If you want to make survival base attack much more dangerous, I suspect copying and modifying a load of the BALevelNN scenarios under a new name and adding tagging them with IsInGroup: "Zirax". I suggest avoid the scenario that directly spawn troops on/in your base and currently this seems to be indefensible as there is no longer any indication of your core being hacked, and be the spawns are right on top of your base and no (for eg) outside of a wall, or involving a transport.

@EleonGameStudios some suggestions:

1 - Can the ba sd and ba wd debug commands also list the scenario within group selections made as well as the units selections spawned (assuming I am understanding what is going on here)? In fact list anything selected from this file to ease debug aloing with may price costing assigned (need help to under the price multiplier as well I think).

2 - The actual base attack probability calculation (as hinted at in a base's control panel statistics page) - can the inputs and weights of each be made configurable in this file please? For eg, I would like to massively increase the probability and frequency of attacks if you build a huge hi level base in enemy territory.

3 - There seems to be some things wrong with higher level (BALevel30-33) attacks with a high prices:
    - troops directly spawn in and around your base - better if they spawn a little bit further away.
    - drones and transport can spawn directly above your base (in my testing they are actually spawning on my turrets), also they seem to spawn and then vanish sometimes.
    - very occasionally I have been left with a corrupt game save after testing several higher cost attack scenarios
    - bombers sometimes go nuts and behave like gnats.
    - many unexploded bombs lying around that just seem to end up as clutter
    - if you specify a price that is too high in ba w Zirax 5500 for eg,, it cant find the group and results in null reference exception as well.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  6. 7thScar

7thScar Ensign

Is there any way to make the eating sounds a variable that can be shut off in SP and MP?

Javarox87 likes this.
  7. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Yes. Well, sort of. You can disable them easily.
    Open the ItemsConfig.ecf and search for FoodTemplate, which is referenced by all food items and so is listed in every food item's entry so you can find them all easily.
    Go to SfxBegin: UseActions/playerEating (any eating variant) and add a # at the start of the line to disable the sound effects. You'll need to do it for every food entry though since different foods use different eating sound effects.

zaphodikus, Javarox87 and ravien_ff like this.
  8. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

This thread contains useful information, but has been pushed away. Up !

I see two messages (#2 and #3) that are empty and marked for later additions.

Will there be additions ?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Yes ? No ? :D

10. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Can we get the DroneProperties config as well? Being able to customize drones for better behavior would greatly improve the game, because the ones we have right now are just flying XP bags.

ravien_ff and krazzykid2006 like this.
  11. Kostriktor

Kostriktor Commander

i still dont understand where to put my itemsconfig and config for them to work.
    i tried several folders and it wont accept, game always running at vanilla-values.
    i simply want the pistol to load 16 bullets, just like Beretta M1 does, and i want Steak to give higher nutrition value.
    not even that big of a deal.

12. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Simple changes can be done through the Config.ecf and won't require a change to the ItemsConfig, which will be overwritten when there's an update. Config.ecf won't be overwritten.
    In which case, your Config.ecf should be blank except for the version number and just the items you're changing. A full config.ecf when you're only making 1 or 2 changes may cause issues when the devs change something in the main configs that's not covered in yours.

These files go into your Empyrion/Content/Configuration folder.

13. Kostriktor

Kostriktor Commander

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  14. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Woah... Removing the ItemsConfig from the game's configuration folder should explode the game. That's one of the internal game config files, which the game runs all items from. Unless you deleted it from a scenario's configuration folder.
    The Config.ecf is an override for some values, not a replacement for the game's configs.

I have no idea how to run a server, though.

15. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You don't need to remove that file, and you probably shouldn't either since it's a default game file that while unused by the game itself, does contain the available config options for making your own custom config from.

16. Kostriktor

Kostriktor Commander

no worries, i replaced the original one !
    i "removed it" in terms of, removing the one i modified.

17. Kostriktor

Kostriktor Commander

this is interesting !

so you can, inside the scenario-folder/configuration, put an config-file, and that will prevail over the file from content/configuration, whilest playing said scenario ?

this sounds like a step further towards runnind dedicated !

18. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yes check out the scenario in my signature if you want to see an example of how to do this.

Kostriktor and Vermillion like this.
  19. Kostriktor

Kostriktor Commander

ok finally figured it out.
    put your config.ecf in this path
    upload_2020-7-26_14-16-36.png
    if you dont have content folder, then create it, in it, create configuration folder.
    ! nice

20. Kostriktor

Kostriktor Commander

hey @Vermillion sorry if this bothers you but; this is very interesting.
    i´ve seen this done also in 7dtd mods.
    this way, several mods can add to the same config-file, correct ?

could you please post an example of how to setup that file?
    -because unfortunately i havent paid attention at school...