A12 EXP - The Galaxy

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Apr 21, 2020.

1. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

And didn't we always think they would never open up the config files for us? You just never know.:D

2. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Oooooooh! Look who is back! A welcome sight:)

3. Pach

Pach Rear Admiral

... it would also be nice if the resource icons displayed in a standard order for all planets/asteroids.

When I look at the moon in my home world, it shows iron first:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....654/D6FACD3749D020AE34DDB1D17D88F4E64A34D58E/

But when I look at the moons of other planets in my first system, silicon is first:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....473/733E4F8A3676FE44358F5EDFABC1436EE1C6EE33/

Iron is still there, just later in the list. The order should be tier based, so the low tier items would always be first, and high tier last.

For example, always display in this order:

1. iron
    2. copper
    3. silicon
    4. prom
    5. cobalt
    6. penta
    7. titanium
    8. neo
    9. magnesium
    10. sathium
    11. erestrum
    12. zasc
    13. gold

(did I miss anyone?)

4. spunkykneebiter

spunkykneebiter Ensign

I would love to find a dyson sphere. Would crash my computer but would be cool.

Demonic, downwood0 and ravien_ff like this.
  5. Khazul

Khazul Rear Admiral

But it would probably be empty and dead rather than filled with hoard of pissed off aliens :)

6. Horten

Horten Commander

Good news! Don't remove it please. It was always strange for me that every planet in the game is inhabited.

Maybe you should add ores for all planets, but animals and POI should not be present in all worlds.

7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I was actually just thinking about adding one to my scenario!
    Of course you couldn't go inside, it would be only the outside appearance.

I mean, wait, nobody heard that. There will NOT be a Dyson sphere added to my scenario. I repeat, the rumors of a dyson sphere are FALSE. :D

Kaz, iliapugach and Pach like this.
  8. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Rear Admiral

Oh come on mate you can do it! Make it a small moon. Make the outside look like some weird metal.:eek: With some of the planets you have done I can't see why you couldn't.:) Then build all your POI's underground with hanger doors to the outside. Add some antenna's around the openings. You could do it! I have faith in you.:D

ravien_ff likes this.
  9. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

It's going to be dyson sphere sized (well, at least as large as the game can feasibly make it). You won't be able to go inside it or approach it though.

10. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

I'm guessing you're gonna use the gas giant as a template and replace the planet with one of your own design.

11. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yeah. A big metal looking flat (spherical) planet. Could try using some terrain stamps for features as well. I have no idea how it will work out.

Kaz, RazzleWin and Germanicus like this.
  12. downwood0

downwood0 Commander

Working on it, but until they build a model for the white dwarf stars (or small red/brown dwarf) that is about the right size (class 1 planet for the WD) and allow us to warp into the zone with the star, actually making one will be very difficult. Also, lighting the zone will be an interesting rendering challenge. That being said, if they can put the solar lighting at the center of the zone, with a teeny white dwarf model, it's entirely possible to build a dyson sphere around it. The actual challenge at that point becomes finding enough interesting things to put on it.

Germanicus likes this.
  13. downwood0

downwood0 Commander

For those of you wondering about a dyson sphere: This was the proof of concept build back on A9 Transcendence. I mixed in the copy/paste of dirt from asteroids just because I could, and it was easier than trying to fill out the whole segment with steel blocks. You can see the framework in progress for a more rounded appearance. This one is the simple version, 20 sided and is about 800m in diameter.

unfortunately, to get something that would go around a moderately reasonable sized white dwarf model (call it, by itself 800-1000m) we'd have to drastically up the number of segments of a icosphere. Going up to 1600m diameter requires 80 BA units. and each doubling of diameter requires multiplying the number of segments by 4. if you hit 3200m at 320 BA units you run afoul of Dynamic structure loading but theoretically most of the 'dissapearing' units will be obscured by the star at the center. This is something I had to play with when I was experimenting with putting rings around planets.

So, in essence, it's possible, yes. First, though, we need a class 1 planet sized white dwarf model with the scene lighting set at the center of the zone :D

Attached Files:

Germanicus likes this.
  14. Albert

Albert Lieutenant

Are all the planets in the galaxy "easy difficulty?" Also, does un-discovered mean there are no NPC factions present? I consoled in a bunch of pentaxid to warp around and visit solar systems and planets for nearly 2 hours. Literally every planet in each solar system showed it was easy difficulty and un-discovered. The 10-12 planets I visited the ground on, I used commands to reveal the map. There was never a faction present, and there were anywhere between 2-4 random POIs other than resources.

I may be a minority here, but i would MUCH rather have 1 solar system that is fleshed out well and fun to explore, than "infinite" solar systems that have absolutely no content other than resources on them. As excited as i was to finally have a galaxy to explore, this was quite a let down :( This was all done in survival mode

Aside from this, I am really enjoying a12 though, and I know this is experimental so everything will continue to be improved and worked on. Just wanted to share my initial thoughts.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  15. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

@Hummel-o-War

Is THIS ->
    ExpA12_2020-05-02_11-11-00.png
    a intended Feature?

I mean pointing with a "stick" towards the sky and getting the info how far away ,in AU, a Planet iso_O.

16. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yes it's intended. Works for all celestial objects you can see. :D

17. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

It would be better if such Info would come only from Objects you actually visited once. Or a general restriction of (info) distances:rolleyes:

18. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

It's all visible on the map screen anyway.

19. Kaz

Kaz Lieutenant

If you can it would be cool if you make solar power extra effective there to simulate tapping into the dyson spheres energy, maybe have a poi that you "need" to clear to gain access.

20. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Can't really be done. There's no way to control solar output in space.