A9 - Discussion : Volume and weight limitations

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Dec 17, 2018.

1. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I mean it can be turned off in the option menu and making sure other players know it can be turned off in the option menu. I would prefer Elon to create a whole new survival mode that is harder than our current mode and add things like volume, weight limit to it. I believe having it in the options menu so players can disable it would be more reasonable.

IronCartographer likes this.
  2. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

that's what I thought you mint but you meant but was not for sure with your little miss type so I wanted to be sure before some one started hammering at you for it

banksman45 and IronCartographer like this.
  3. Damocles

Damocles Captain

I think a lot of the problems for players (feeling unintuitive) comes from the way inventory transfers work.
    Where two inventories have to be selected from a list. (left/right assignment)
    That might be confusing for someone using it the first time.

Lets see how a similar procedure (moving things between two containers) is solved in other UIs:
    -Having windows for each container (like files in Windows), where windows can be opened, closed and moved, an the user can drag/drop the items (files)
    -have ALL nearby inventories on the left and right in a split drag-pane, the player can drag the inventories up/down, to have the two important ones, then drag/drop
    -use a tree of containers/ships (EvE online) where an item can be dragged/dropped to the main node of the tree.
    -use a different icon for each container in the list (quick visual cue)
    -Unturned uses the endless container "nearby", basically dropping things to the floor if the player wants to. (Only works if items dont despawn, I dont like despanwing in general...)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  4. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

So we are arguing about (not literary) how much space there is in a backpack so the game can become more realistic...
    Realism is good, i like it in games. But only so far as it does not interfere with gameplay.

It's still mingboggeling to me how weight/volume could become a priority for the devs in the first place, while there are so much other things to take care of, that would definitely enhance the game to the better.
    Like more (some billions) star sytems, for example or other player races or finally a revamped (a decent) Space combat system and so on.
    I'm sorry if i'm the only one who has still difficulties to understand why we have to struggle with this crap anyways.

But hey, since the game is about realism, let's remove the gravity generator, gimp the RCS devices and have in general only materials and technology be availlable that are currently possible.
    (Wtf is combat steel? please tell me where to order some, lol)

ion_storm and masel like this.
  5. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

Actually what suppresses me is they waited this long to address it. this is something that would have been easier to deal with sooner as there would have been fewer assents that would need updating. I to want more star systems too. But I have a feeling this has a potential to be grate for the game once balanced fully implemented and all the assets have been updated

6. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

2d274faf05a86fadb302f3c717510035.gif
    I can't see anything especially urgent about this.
    It is not adding anything positive to the game aside from everyone being annoyed by it.

I'm not saying that is shouldn't be added to the game though, but at this point i'm getting the suspicion they don't want to create a fun game (not talking about a superficial pew pew game) that facinates players by its scope and immersion.
    Other things that are more important still need to be implemented to have at least a goundwork of game mechanics from where you can start expanding things. THEN you can add mass/volume of cargo.

But anyways, the devs listen to other people than me and i don't have the patience or time to preach the same stuff over and over. Life is too short for that, lol.

7. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

@Neal only that they longer they wait the more assents will have to be updated, and the prefabs. not so much that its Urgent just something that's Easer done sooner then later....

"It is not adding anything positive to the game aside from everyone being annoyed by it." let me start by saying this that Statement is arrogant as hell. I am not annoyed by it, I am challenged by it and yes. Annoyed maybe a little at fist by I am choosing to play with Weight and volume turned on, even though I had to down load a program so I could successfully edit the settings file . So do you think I need you tell me how I should feel about something. what you mean is YOU, and others are annoyed by it. but I can tell you that there are others myself include who or not, and we don't need you or any one else to tell us how we should feel about it.

And I don't see how its hard to understand that its easier to do with fewer assents and to update tp the new system then build all upcoming accents compatible going forwarded

8. IronCartographer

IronCartographer Captain

@Neal - I think it's being added now so that they can balance ship handling once rather than twice (before and after).

Balancing is a complicated problem and it's reasonable to wait for more systems before doing what would otherwise be wasted effort.

TmikeS3 and Neal like this.
  9. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I'd argue the exact opposite, actually. Consistent mass and volume is rather fundamental (and should have been added much earlier) because of how many game mechanics it touches. And any mass/volume balancing will force a rebalance of basically all other systems as a result, so you really don't want to have to touch it much after getting it in place.

Neal likes this.
  10. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Yes, but the problem is how the devs are approaching mass and volume and the ability to carry it.
    First, the horrendous logistics system. No matter how much some people justify it as "WIP" or "Needs more refining" there is no possible way that this current system in any way, shape or form is going to be an acceptible or intuitive system. The very function of it is at complete odds with the "realistic" application of mass and volume. Being a fundamentally fantasy magical mechanic in a sci-fi space game that's unnecessarily overcomplicated despite having little to no "moving parts".
    Second, is the threat of mass being applied to the player. Volume by itself is more or less fine right now (though not not quite accurate yet), however with the implication that the player character will be limited by not only volume but mass, there is no way to make a compromise between realism and gameplay. In this, mass limitations on the player will require the complete sacrifice of gameplay for what amounts to the shortest duration of game time where it's relevant (early game, fresh out of the pod) which is also the most important time for impressing new players to keep them playing. Instead this punishes them.
    Furthermore, realism is being sacrificed by the intentional reduction of the mass of items but not their volume (density discrepencies) in order for the player to be able to carry them during the earlygame. As a result, this heavily impacts mid and late game usage of mass with spaceships that are now affected by cargo mass; stealing what should be a complimentary interbalance between ship building, POI looting, and ship handling to accomodate an uneccessary and unwanted punishing earlygame.

Morrigan and Javier Rodriguez like this.
  11. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

The main problem with the logistics system is that it introduces a lot of fiddling for many operations (particularly building), despite greatly simplifying certain operations. A lot of the issues, I'd argue, stem from the lack of concurrent access to inventories and the fact that toolbars hold physical objects instead of links. With those two issues dealt with, there's a lot of streamlining potential for the UI (e.g. a creative-mode-like block picker and the ability to place blocks from any inventory within network range rather than just the one they're connected to, and directly accessing the connected storage in constructors). In general, the player should only need to call up the logistics UI via F4 if they actually need to transfer stuff between containers, whereas right now it's mandatory for any operation that involves inventories.

Right, the devs are trying to simultaneously make mass not the limiting factor for the on-foot player (when in actuality it's much more important than volume limitations) while also clearly desiring cargo mass to play a role in ship balancing. And it's not working because those are two inconsistent goals. What the devs should be doing is giving everything its proper density, reducing the size of ores, ingots, and other intermediate components, and increasing the inputs to block/device templates to compensate. If ores are 1L, ingots 0.5L, and most basic intermediate components in the 0.1-0.2L range, then players will have no problem gathering quite a bit of resources even if their backpack is limited to, say, 50L and 100kg. In addition to the logistics system fixes above, we'd need a few more things: storage for the motorbike (small volume, but substantially larger mass capacity, say 50L and 350kg), terrain-placeable storage containers (which, of course, have no mass limit), and reworked mining output (to compensate for the increased block/device costs).

With all of the foregoing fixes/additions, players would actually have the means to deal with mass and volume on foot, and mass and volume would also be consequential for ship design later on.

So, in summary, there is a way for all of this to work out very nicely, but the devs are only part of the way there so far.

12. MidasGunhazard

MidasGunhazard Captain

When the weight is enabled in the yaml file, what is supposed to actually happen if you go overweight?

13. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Whatever you try to pick up drops to the ground again

14. MidasGunhazard

MidasGunhazard Captain

Mine seems to not be working then. I enabled it in the default random yaml file, but while I can SEE the weight, nothing actually happens when I exceed it.

15. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Did you verify the game after changing the Yaml file? If so Steam resets it to default false status.

In one of @spanj Videos you see what happens at about 13:40

16. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Inventories don't actually add mass to their parent object yet (neither players nor ships); turning on that yaml option just enforces the volume limitation (despite the name of the option suggesting that it should also affect mass).

17. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

I was just stating MY opinion aabout it, i wasn't saying YOU need to think about it the same way nor feel about that matter the same way i do, lol. In general i only speak for myself (idk if you claim to speak for others).
    (I'm just too lazy to write "imo" at the end of every sentence, i have thought this as a given in a civilized conversation.)
    And please don't try to make this personal, i really don't have energy for crap like that, nor do i think anyone wants to see us arguing back and forth on a personal level here.

I think many updates lately and this one in especially alienate a lot of people (at least more than usual imo) while it only makes a few small group happy. It is not just the matter of cargo Volume/Mass that alienates me the most, it is the fact that the devs chose this over other things.

That's a good point and i would like to agree with you, if it had been implemented completely and not (like most other things sadly) only half way.
    To me it has only limited value, since it doesn't add much to gameplay value nor does it enhance the game in a way where it adds something to the games scope or depth. It complicates things for no good reason aside form the illusion of having a complicated and ambitious game mechanic, but in reality it adds just another nuisance to the game (similar like Structural Integrity for Planetary BAs) that everyone will ultimately want to avoid at best.

I actually fail to see where cargo volume/mass could play a big role anyways in a game like EGS, besides if they try to create somekind of trading ship simulation. No game i have ever played (been playing space related games since the early 90s) ever had spaceships act much different when they are fully loaded with cargo, nor did anyone care about that fact anyways. It is just not that relevant.
    On the other hand, game mechanics like energy Shields, NPC crew, Reactors, Energy weapons, a decent FTL travel mechanic and semi realistic Star systems ARE relevant in the finished game imo.

To be honest, after the last survey (was it last year?) i have though that at this time (end 2018) we would have a very different and larger game by now. To me the game is basically the same as last year, not much interesting things being added, only stuff i won't use anyways (aside from the captains chair. ;)).

ion_storm likes this.
  18. MidasGunhazard

MidasGunhazard Captain

nope

It has no effect at all anywhere, though. Even my character's personal inventory doesn't change anything if I exceed it. I just picked up 1000 weight with a 500 limit and nothing happened except the color of the weight number changing.

19. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Odd. Well, it could be that it's completely disabled for the moment so that there's no possibility of it accidentally being toggled on, but I guess only the devs would know for sure.

20. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Thanks