INFO & FEEDBACK [Alpha 11] DOCKING : any to any

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Nov 17, 2019.

1. SmaugBR

SmaugBR Lieutenant

Hello! ^_^

Thanks for this "any ship dock any ship" feature. I'm reading the news published today about Alpha 11 features and it says: "Docking: any-to-any (except CV->Base, not needed)"... but... what should we do when we intend to repair a CV? Isn't it necessary to dock it to a BA anymore?

zoolkhan and StyleBBQ like this.
  2. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Thanks!!! Hopefully the devs will update the graveyard ships so we can dock with them.

StyleBBQ likes this.
  3. That was never a requirement to repair CV's as CV's never docked to anything before 10.6 EXP.
    You simply just have to park it on a repair bay, it doesn't have to be docked. Same with all the other vessel types as well, they only have to be within range of the repair bay to work (and powered off). Docking is never required.

StyleBBQ and stanley bourdon like this.
  4. Roughneck270

Roughneck270 Ensign

I like the docking options but you already have folks building a CV and docking other CV's to it to exploit it for armor and bait. The core count per playfield is going to get stupid high and cause other issues. This whole update doesn't make much sense to me as to why some of the features were implemented and one of the big selling points for the CPU system was a hope that it would help server and game performance. You wanted a game you can play on a potato and now I'm getting horrible stutter with a GTX1080 and i7-8700k with 32GB of memory.

5. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

Off topic posts removed. Hummel asked nicely to stay on topic. use the appropriate threads for the appropriate topics

6. Izzin

Izzin Lieutenant

With the ability to dock all/all any thoughts about giving us a specialized module that will act like a magnetic docking collar. [and then allow us to treat this like we do a gun, so we can have a button on our button bar]

There is a thread about creating universal shipping containers. It would be cool to have an HV that you can swoop up to one of these CV sized modules (needs to be a cargo container in size) hit a button to "Attach" and then move the unit to its destination, hit button again to drop it.

--Izz

Ballard and Roughneck270 like this.
  7. Onyx

Onyx Ensign

First of all: thanks for this modification! I love it.

I was only wondering about one thing:
    Until now, allowing the docking of vessels that already have vessels docked would have been game breaking indeed due to a lot of exessive uses possibles.
    I'd like to know why this rule is still active though since the mass of a docked vessel is now taken into account.
    Most of possible abuses are voided by that, given that a ship transporting too powerfull vessels or too much of them will be a flying duck with it's speed (if it can takes off at all).
    And if there is still some exploits, adding a simple rule like "A vessels having docked vessels on it can dock ONLY on vessels with higher class" would do the trick, no? Or "can only dock on CV & Bases"?

(I'm asking because when I seen this MAJ, I thought: Hurray! Let's make the clones tank dropping ship from Star Wars (http://img1.starwars-holonet.com/holonet/dictionnaire/photos/ship_canonniere_trn.jpg), and have fun! I did it and... separating them on the CV to dock them both separately feels like having to make parallel parkings after a piece of fun >.<)

I'm truely curious to know the reason, and if we can have some hope to see this rule taken out or lightened in the future.

Thanks a lot to all the staff for the work improving the game and have a great day!

StyleBBQ likes this.
  8. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

The current restriction of only 2 ships in any given docking chain is for technical reasons. The devs have indicated that it will be worked on more in the future, but, as it will require a substantial investment of time (what exists in the game now is an extension of the previous code that allowed just SV/HV to dock to CV/BA; what needs to be built is a new system that allows arbitrary-depth docking chains), they're prioritizing other systems first.

StyleBBQ likes this.
  9. Onyx

Onyx Ensign

Oh. Ok. I'll cross the fingers that this day with this improvement will come in a not-too-distant future then! ^^
    (PS:I totally understant that there is a ton of things to fix/improve/add first. I'm not complaining in any way: just hoping! ;))

Thanks for your awnser!

StyleBBQ likes this.
  10. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Very keen on this. Having a short-range warp-capable SV I can dock an SV or HV to is extremely helpful, especially early on in game - plus it looks cool.

11. boo

boo Commander

that docking cv to cv remind me something i just build in creative...

a pvp oriented cv with 2 other cv docking on it :D

the main cv will only be affeected by mass and weight, and no cpu.

that jsut a starter idea ... need to work on itdeeper....gues i will have more ideas later :D

the wing cv, with military block and turret used as bait to protect the main cv turret
    20191127014136_1.jpg

the factory made in carbonate, used for storage production, craft, etc ... only rear have military block
    20191127014416_1.jpg

the full cv, with wing and factory docked still can go at 150m/s , but i need to refine it, with more carbon block to have a better turn rate.

20191127014056_1.jpg

factory docked inside hangar

20191127014401_1.jpg

Don't Panic and Kassonnade like this.
  12. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I mean, why stop there? The next-step evolution of this sort of design would be a nearly full covering of combat steel that docks to a carbon composite mothership underneath, with a full complement of decoy turrets and such (and optionally a shield generator to give the covering CV a pre-charged shield). There would be gaps for functional turrets and thrusters for the mothership, of course. With the right arrangement of docking pylons, you could probably make multiple nested coverings that all dock to the mothership.

I suppose another tactic would be to build a bunch of automated "mines" packed with turrets and combat steel that could be deployed from a carrier CV. The mines wouldn't move, but they'd multiply the CV's attack power considerably once detached. Optimally, you'd have one player pilot the CV, and another player do the deployment (jet-packing back to the carrier CV hangar afterward).

13. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

The ONLY issue I see with CV to CV docking is a possible cheese issue - building a very stripped down CV that is little more than an outer hull and shield generator, docking it to another CV with a shield generator to create a layered shield effect.

Still think we should have CV to BA docking - I've been known to build space stations with pads large enough for many CV's, but when they don't "stick"... ehhh...

Germanicus likes this.
  14. Onyx

Onyx Ensign

About the shields layers, if I remember well, any docked vessel have it's shields down, so this overuse of dockings shouldn't be possible.

15. Nerd01

Nerd01 Commander

Hello, is this still a thing? I cant dock CV to CV it seems. If it is, than it means I am doing something wrong.

16. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

If a CV is already docked to something (Base, HV, SV) it cannot dock to another ship.

Nerd01 likes this.
  17. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I have started using the feature to dock CV to CV lately and I find it hard to pass the hangar door. Seems we do need the feature the CV hangar doors to open automaticaly when a CV approaches, please.

Other than that the docking to any gives the player the ability to dock types of ships with components that are forbidden to the master ship. i.e. a big SV or HV may recieve docked a dummy CV with a large constructor and a thus give the ability to the player to take advantage of the said constructor. Another example is to dock a dummy HV with clone and/or health device on a SV, giving the ability to respawn and/or heal on said SV.

Those examples above, render worthless the restriction to install certain devices on certain vessels.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    stanley bourdon likes this.
  18. Andrylik

Andrylik Lieutenant

I call this: EXPLOIT :D I think the meaning of the game is not stacking ships on other ships....

19. boo

boo Commander

it's a feature of the A11. nothing else.

Don't Panic likes this.
  20. Andrylik

Andrylik Lieutenant