Alpha 7.6 - FEEDBACK: Food rebalancing and template changes

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Rear Admiral

Since we have to rely on collected food that can't be grown for more complex food than fries and bread, do we get a more convenient way of harvesting? Didn't check that out but does the harvester module collect wild plants? (have been taking a break for a couple of patches).

If not, THAT is one thing that makes the changes to food and medicine resonable. Even if we get way bigger planets with multiple biomes, i can hardly imagine people drive in different directions to collect different items for different foods and meds they need for multiple hours picking them by hand and find it a fun activity. Not even talking about to get off the planet with your megaton starship warping to a different planet far far away just to get something for big medkits by getting out of their highly technological vessel and picking those items by hand....

I understand the intention behind all of this, bringing the survival and the feel of "the need" i just don't think that might be the best way. But if some food isn't worth the hassle, people just stuff their fridges with fries and bread. you need to eat more but everything else is just not worth the effort. And if you implement something like "eat the same of something and you get sick" i see people dropping the game. In the end it is a survial GAME not a "healthy living simulator".

I guess Eleon will aim for the middle ground. Maybe that middle ground could be real buff-ffod and buff-meds that grand some benefits for a short period of time, like "night vision" or "steady amiming" oder "15% faster running" that could contain rare materials that can't be home grown. That would make them desirable but not a basic need like food or meds. Give us space steroids (greets from the Duke) that give you a short time burst of power for when you need it, and which contains rare materials that need to be found..... and have negative side effects if you use them too often within a short period of times.

2. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

Spike lemons for canned vegetables?
    Unless your planning to introduce being able to grow lemons ( please ) I now need to fly to omicron to get stuff for canned food.
    eh?
    Also, what was wrong with flour?

3. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Lemons will be next for the "self growing" mechanic ;-)

Basically i would love to see we can grow anything that can be collected in the wild, but this might take a few iterations - and it might need a slightly different approach than just putting a seed in the ground.

4. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Wrong thread. Check the other thread. Just for now > the next update will bring a few simplifications for Bandages, Antibiotic Injection and Stomach Pills

You cannot make use of this info at the moment - it serves just as an example how we created the new recipes. We could have skipped this, but i thought this is possibly an interesting side fact. ;-)

Jᴧgᴧ, AlbaN and rucky like this.
  5. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

That's good.
    I was actually thinking something along those lines myself. Maybe not everything but most collectable plant life should be cultivate-able.
    Also, why can't we can fruit? If you can get canned veg and canned meat why not canned pears? or canned space pineapple?

Hicks42 and rucky like this.
  6. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

Yes,YES,YES! Thank you!!

7. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    [/QUOTE] Also, why can't we can fruit? If you can get canned veg and canned meat why not canned pears? or canned space pineapple?[/QUOTE]
    I thought of making something like a juice from different fruits - but i am afraid really NEW recipe may have to wait until 8.0.

Maybe i'll create a brainstorming thread so everyone can send in ideas.

Gary Parkin, Jᴧgᴧ and jadefalcon like this.
  8. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

A capitol idea

9. Dandere

Dandere Commander

Honestly these new ingredients for medical items and advanced food, particularly the survival rations, are absurd in the extreme.

Even before these changes, I didn't bother grubbing in the dirt for alien plasma because the time investment just wasn't worth it. It was literally faster to fly back to my med bay every time I got shot up by Zyrax than it was to look for alien plasma. Now, even with the slightly increased utility of them, it is super, super not worth it. I will, as I did before, just buy them.

And if you take this post to mean "Oh we should remove them from vendor lists so that players have to spend 20 minutes frustratingly getting in and out of a vehicle to grab weeds" I will be sad.

I would be fine if their production was highly level-gated and expensive. I'm not fine with being reduced to hunting and gathering. You didn't even give me a spear and buffalo hide armor.

MAYBE if the ingredients were available in quantity on the ground it might be worthwhile. If I could find enough plasma in one spot to make 10 medkits, even if these spots were rare, I might go look. But I still wouldn't if I needed ferns and fire moss, too.

This would make it very, very nice. Gathering mechanics would still be a pain, but I wouldn't cross medical supply manufacture off the list of worthwhile game mechanics.

10. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

If some foods are going to be such a pain to make, they should have benefits that make it worth the effort. Have them raise player's constitution stat, which raises their max health/stamina/speed, lowers food and O2 use, and gives a saving throw against debuffs like poison, parasite, broken leg, etc.

11. Track Driver

Track Driver Rear Admiral

All of the above is very interesting and I hope someone can work it out. Some time ago, probably on the Steam Forum, A bunch of us submitted ideas for new recipes. Perhaps @Hummel-o-War, might take a look at them and incorporate a few into the game.

in the meantime, I'm a little confused. Do you really want raw meat in addition to salami for the "cold" sandwich? What about pies and cookies requiring wheat as well as flour. And flour is no longer available in the food processor.

I realize this is still a WIP. Just need some clarification, please.

Oh, btw, the egg still has zero food value and negative on all other attributes. We have talked about this before.

other wise, the new recipe certainly have added zest, while being a bit problematic to prepare. I imagine the "Greasy Spoon" at the trading staions are jack up their prices as ingredients require interplanetary travel to acquire all the ingredients.

12. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    I'd love to! Just send it around via PM!

Are you running a custom config.ecf? If so, please delete and start a new game. Your feedback reads like there are two configs (the internal and the public) fight each other :D

13. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    No worries. The approach is that you should be able to gather the ingredients you need either by gathering or by hunting or at a trader. The latter is tbd (the next update will add medical compounds to the OkY Medical and Aunt Marys traders)

But some players asked to add bow and arrow, so this is to prepare you...just kidding.

Problem is, you cannot make meals and food overly gated, as the progression needs to break down to not more t than 2 or 3 steps

14. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
  15. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

The game is now unplayable. I understand your desire to make people have to "live off of the land" for a longer period of time, but it is now far easier to 'farm' npcs for medical supplies than it is to make said medical supplies. And introducing these complex lists of ingredients without the corresponding ability to grow said ingredients is unacceptable.

I have stated, many times, that "This game is in Alpha, we have to ride out the development process." However, this is the first time I truly feel Eleon has made a mistake.

If this is the plan, I feel you should have radically updated the main Tutorials, with an entire section on 'how to live off of the land', walking people through the new mechanism, and then enabled farming for the later game. Perhaps kicking the Food Processor back to L10 or L12.

Hopefully, Eleon can recover from this misstep.

16. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    You couldn't grow most of the ingredients before. The ingredients for the usually used medics are fairly easy to gather on both planets (The rest will come with the next update).

17. Dandere

Dandere Commander

I wouldn't call the game unplayable. If I had purchased EGS today, I'd still have found it one of the most entertaining things I've ever played.

But I'd think the food system was worthless. I'd just make a few stacks of steak and forget about it, rather than being excited about gathering the ingredients for pizza.

When I first started playing, I found the abandoned mine on Akua and got poisoned a bunch, so I went looking for a reliable source of antidote pills. The food processor said I needed alien thorns, and the wiki said these were present on Akua, so I was excited about farming a bunch to continue my war on the mine.
    Alas, the wiki lied, and I spent an hour looking for thorns that didn't exist. By the time I found out where there were actually thorns, I had stacks of every kind of medical supply from a couple of Zyrax genocides I committed. That was a major disappointment, that I couldn't supply my own medicine practically.

This makes that way worse.

Arrclyde and rainyday like this.
  18. Dandere

Dandere Commander

My solution, by the way, was to build a small base at the entrance to the mine with the medical equipment necessary to cure poison.

Adapting, improvising, and overcoming is great, but when it's easier to make a hospital than a pill, something is broke.

Arrclyde, rainyday and Brimstone like this.
  19. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Well Im loving the new food changes I think its a fantastic move, I do however find Lemon Spike in so many recipies now that seems a little far fetched for some of them.
    But its a very refreshing change for the better overall.

Dandere has a point too, it is easier to just build a medical centre.

So maybe the medbay needs to be looked at from a different angle.

Better 3d models for new T1 medbay only capable of basic repairs and health, the new medbays need to be filled with some ingredients, the medbays need to have there own recipes for medical corrections/fixes.

So for example a T1 medbay would only have a few recipe's and would not heal as fast as click and its done, takes 2 minutes for health bar to rise up sort of thing.
    But this is a way of limiting how and where medical stuffs are used.

T2 medbay, also a new 3d model for the block, capable of a few more healing recipe's, now you have a medbay block that has a few more slots in it for recipe ingredients, and in its health menu it has a few more things it can heal you from.

T3 Medbay, is the medbay we have now, it cures all, super fast like it does now, but it becomes the T3 top level medbay that can majically heal us like it does now with no recipe's or you could turn it into a similar medbay as the T2 and T1 versions only with all the recipe's to heal all of the illnesses in the game.

This was the best I could come up with, with whats already in the game.

So the new T1 and T2 medbays, what would be great here is a MOVING animated block, that you sit into and little devices move all around your body with different coloured lazer beams they fix you, the animation time is the heal time. So T1 would be longest. T2 shorter faster animation.
    T3 our current medbay or a souped up on steroids version of the T1 T2 versions as a T3 medbay, eitherway, its the animations that are key here because the time it takes them to do there work means the player is sitting for a few seconds to be treated, but even when he is released from medbay, his health bar is slowly rising, the medbay just does treatment, he finishes healing out of the medbay after treatment.

Now you guys at Eleon are balancing, this is the time to make changes like this, so anyone else want to expand on the idea for the devs, make it a bit easier for them.

malrose1 likes this.
  20. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

so? What do i do with all this flour now?

Hicks42 likes this.