Alpha 7.6 - FEEDBACK: Food rebalancing and template changes

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Crewsk8200

Crewsk8200 Lieutenant

Just don't do jump height or reload speed, it makes no sence. Xp buffs maybe?

2. ldog

ldog Commander

Giving 7.6 an honest playthrough and I can honestly say I don't like the changes. Overly complicated. Hard to remember. Too many ingredients per recipe. Medkits you've gotta be fucking kidding me right??? Survival rations still a drag. Again seriously WTF canned meat 2 meat 4 tomato 2 corn - this is tomato sauce with meat and some corn? I guess everything has corn oil or corn syrup now, just like RL.
    There's also still too much of things not useful for more advanced recipes. Pretty much living off corndogs, akua berry and oranges.

malrose1 and Thundercraft like this.
  3. Crewsk8200

Crewsk8200 Lieutenant

I'm just hoping to see a medical table. Medicine comming out of a food processor :/

4. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Promise: when the devs have added more plants to be growable, i'll redo the recipes one more time (Might be necessary anyhow as the now larger planets might offer different plants than in 7.6)

ldog likes this.
  5. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Is on the list - but maybe not in 8.0 already.

monktk, Thundercraft and Crewsk8200 like this.
  6. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

7. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

If, as the backstory-to-date suggests, the Talon were once possibly more advanced- it would actually make sense if flora and fauna on various planets were similar by biome- perhaps they did some terraforming (talonforming?) back in the day. That way, you might find some of the more exotic plants on starter worlds, just maybe harder to get to on some than others.

Hicks42 likes this.
  8. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Captain

It might be nice to be able to harvest food from a tree for a change. Maybe a fruit tree won't just up and vanish into thin air after picking the fruit, like pretty much every harvest-able plant in the game right now (which is wrong on so many levels). Isn't Akua Berry bushes the closest we have to harvesting food from a tree right now? Maybe the game needs a couple kinds of nut trees? Nuts are rather common in nature, from acorns to walnuts, to hazel nuts, cashew, hazel nuts... even the coconut, I believe.

Morrigan likes this.
  9. ldog

ldog Commander

I don't see the problem. I mean most people cook meth on the kitchen stove right?

10. Crewsk8200

Crewsk8200 Lieutenant

Yes, but the good blue stuff requires more equipment :D

11. Jᴧgᴧ

Jᴧgᴧ Rear Admiral

Wait... we're getting meth?? :rolleyes:

12. Morrigan

Morrigan Lieutenant

Well, for me, I like the food value changes. Recipes are a little hit and miss; Emergency rations... I actually like that they're difficult to make. Just wish they SOLD for more at a trader, considering the trouble they are. But they're emergency rations and should be saved for emergencies, like the name suggests.

Medical supplies are a different story. I can understand wanting to limit them; giving us fast healing every 10 seconds is a little imbalanced. But rather than making healing kits next to impossible to make, instead give them an internal cooldown. Make them do as they do now- but give them a 30 or 45 second cooldown before they can be used again. Even super science can only heal the body so far and so fast. Right now, the medical kits are actually harder to make than a lot of CV parts. And that's not good.

13. Phocian

Phocian Ensign

Excuse me if this has been suggested already at some point, but do more complicated food recipes increase the time before the food bar starts to tick down not just fill more of it?

Example: a packet of crisps “chips” is not as fulfilling as a large steak with vegetables.

This could make it more worthwhile to make more complicated foods?

14. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

That's what the food values do- it's simpler to just have the crisps worth "10" and the steak dinner worth "200" in terms of delaying starvation

15. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Captain

I can not agree with Morrigan on the food value changes being a good thing. However...

I'm in agreement here. That's a good point that healing kits are now harder to make than even many CV parts. And I like the idea of a cooldown on healing kits, esp. as a better way of balancing them. (But that would be a good idea even without balance issues.)

Anyway, if the devs make healing kits (or Emergency Rations, or anything else) too complicated or difficult to make, all they're doing is forcing players to resort to buying them from vendors rather than make them themselves. And that sort of defeats the purpose of having recipes and a crafting system, doesn't it?

16. ldog

ldog Commander

Ok so recipes aside, my biggest annoyance to date still is babysitting the food processor.
    An easy quick fix would be having it act as a fridge so that the **** doesn't rot because you forgot it there.
    Doesn't seem unreasonable or imbalanced, I'm sure most if not all of us use multiple fridges anyway.

Thundercraft and Jᴧgᴧ like this.
  17. Nydilius

Nydilius Lieutenant

I would like to see a more modular food system.

I select burger, on the side i select a bread (hopefully we see more bread types from diff crops), a meat (again would love diff meats), a veggie, a cheese, and how many times i wanna make the item (fav list?). The finished food stats is effected by ingredient stats. Same with sandwiches, and canned goods.

There should still be stuff with set recipies too, but I would love to have most food be custom made so i can make odd sandwiches and stews with extra ingredients. Plus more options in a sandbox is always a good thing.

ps. This may be just the late night and inherent evil when i play with buddies, but... can we have longpig meat too? named? :D

18. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

I have just started a new DM Sienna Hard (with only a few changes). No ADM there and only hostile POI's, else maybe could buy some stuff mentioned below.
    The current food and medic makes it pretty grindy at start, to get seaweed you need to kill many of the creatures dropping it. Unless you have a base or CV, there are very few options to cure Food Poisoning. For Poisonous Bite there are a lot of options.
    So should be some more medical plants around on any planet, preferable able to farm (grow plots).
    I have not read all in this thread, but somewhere some mentioning having the ability to make a medical "paste" of local plants and make cures (bite, food, parasite, broken, open) by using Food processor or a "Medic processor" (or add it to the Medic Station).

So it is the balancing of food/medic option that probably need some work. Maybe even add an difficulty option to how obtainable some stuff are.

On the other hand this adds to make it "Hard", that you have to be very careful of what you eat ++, until managed to get a SV/CV preferable with Warp. Just have to farm a bunch of Snow Golems or have some luck with POI attack. (Abandoned Factory can be taken by digging down and take out 1 block of 2000 health, if knew where ... EDIT: But this playfield is PvP with regeneration on, so no takeover with own core.)
    But as soon as you got a HV, it is not really difficult/hard, just takes time to get stuff (=grindy).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018