Alpha 7.6 - FEEDBACK: Medical templates and effect changes

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Maybe as a little preview for the next version update

- Bandages and StomachPills: changed template so they are craftable on both starter planets
    - Antidote Pills: changed so it can easily be created on Akua
    - Antibiotic Ointment: changed so it can easily be created on Omicron.
    - Reduced complexity of small and large MediKit
    - Reduced complexity of Radiation Pills

2. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Linked to this, and I remarked on it in the Alpha 7.6 thread...

When we're affected by a Status effect, such as "Too Cold" or "Poison Bite" for example, our Stamina Bar starts to drop quite rapidly. However, even while we still have stamina remaining - though draining fast due to the effect - we still behave like we are already drained of Stamina. Making the whole stamina drain over time thing moot.

In a situation where you might be exposed to cold - my Akua Base in the mountains see external temperatures of -30c and below at times - or you've been bitten. It's these times that being able to sprint, if even for a moment before your stamina runs out, is critical.

I.e. I got cold outside my base because the temperature dropped rapidly while I was working. The door is just 100 metres away & I have ample Stamina to dash back inside, but I'm forced to do it at a walk.

I.e. I just got bit and the spider isn't dead yet. Having a few seconds of sprint time to gain some distance so you can turn and shoot, or even simply reduce the time to get back inside your base when you were simply working outside, will make all the difference.

I know this isn't strictly linked to the Medical changes, but I think it's relevant as it directly impacts your ability to get medical aid.

Note: I personally build the required cure Devices in my base. Generally I often don't have the materials for the cure I can carry with me, but if I can dash back to my base / sprint to my nearby SV/HV and get home, I can cure myself.

Note 2: Should medical devices use something to create their cures do you think?

Note 3: They really should be Devices in their own right, considering their life-saving potential.

Scoob.

3. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    We actually HAVE individucal devices to cure most of the diseases already! I am afraid no one really is aware of those ^^

4. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Yep, I use them all the time. I was suggesting that they need to be devices in their own right - individually buildable - rather than a basic deco item. I suspect that's why many people miss them, they're not looking to decorate.

Other that Poison Bite, which is cured by various easily pickable plants, I often never gain the materials required for other cures and fixes, so the medical deco items are my go to solution.

Scoob.

5. Starwing6

Starwing6 Rear Admiral

I didn't realize it myself until we began decorating my first blueprint with all the equipment deco items. I think it's because plastic was hard for me to find back then and I thought the equipment was entirely for decoration only, because a sign at the Akua orbital TS gave me the impression that they were just to make our builds look better. :oops: That's true for only some of them.

However, if all the tech items had special uses as equipment (most have storage, but I select them for their appearance). For instance, what if the cryochamber could keep its inventory cold? I am totally a broken record about the idea of research, but all of those items could be enhanced with some research feature. ;) The lab tables--one could keep the inventory cold and the other doesn't, so you'd need one for studying perishables (especially plants!), and one for studying technical things (find a medical chamber in a POI, scan it, go to your tech lab table and study the components to learn how to build your own).

If there will be a new device for making medicines, maybe it could be a constructor and all the healing tech equipment would only be constructed there? (as devices, so it wouldn't clutter the main devices list in the other constructors) That might be a kind of harsh change for players because they can easily construct them as soon as they get a large constructor, but I feel it would be fun in the game.

ADDED: if making "mini biomes" for growing exotic plants would be a thing, the different storage tanks could be required to create humidity, others for special supplements to recreate the plant's natural environment.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Sephrajin, Friendly Timo and rainyday like this.
  6. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

The deco blocks can't be used early game or in the field. You can't craft them in SC or MC; there are no HV/SV equivalents.

malrose1, Cleff and Hicks42 like this.
  7. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

I was not until recently. They've done a bad job of advertising them. Kinda snuck them in. I have a full med bay on all of my ships now as well as poopers and showers and beds (oh my).

Side note.:rolleyes: We should get all the players together that hate the grind and match them up with people like me who enjoy the quiet farming, picking and building, and we'd have a killer team of players. :D
    My buddy loves to kill stuff and I like to explore.

rainyday likes this.
  8. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Of course - who said the scanners are early game items. :D This was just a note that for mid-endgame there are other ways to get rid of the "need to collect" aspect.

We will move the medical devices in a group for 8.0 to make player aware that these possibilities exist.

9. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Thank you. I was so excited when I found them. They rock.

10. runlykhel

runlykhel Captain

This is good; except there is a period when starting you are unable to create these pills, and are there for at the mercy of Akua spiders while trying to gather resources to build, and use. It would be helpful if what ever you decide on for poison bite was craft-able with the portable constructor. Especially since plants are now so rare.

11. Sparrowhawk65

Sparrowhawk65 Captain

It is a balance. As long as there are plants available that can cure poison bite then you can get away with not having antidote pills until you are able to make them. I think pixie stalks and textured plant are cures. I definitely prefer the pills though as they don't spoil.

Edit: I started a new Akua and you do have to look about a bit. Textures plants are on the plains and it seem to be pretty much as easy to find as usual. Varon root rarer and live in tropical forests. No pixie that I could find.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  12. Sparrowhawk65

Sparrowhawk65 Captain

I like that foods now reduce radiation. But it does seem like sucking some O2 does as well. ;)

13. Spirit_OK

Spirit_OK Captain

Wait, they are not? Scanner is a deco, console is a deco, just strip any deco from a starter wreck and build yourself a nice shiny scanner right away. I always thought of them as early-game helpers when you still didn't loot enough consumables, not as high-end panacea..

14. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

YES, I do that too now.

15. runlykhel

runlykhel Captain

I have adjusted my thinking, and (my game file finally updated, took couple of reloads) but yes as is PB is easily handled with available plants. lol...just have to find their spawns location and not get bit. Was attacked once by two spiders and two alien insects (biped type) in the same spot within seconds of each other. Lol...lots of running around looking for plants...quit exciting.

Edit: Adding note here; antidote pills are not creatable just using Akua available flora/fauna, still required to leave planet or buy from traders. Might want to adjust note of "Antidote Pills: changed so it can easily be created on Akua".

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Starwing6 likes this.
  16. Starwing6

Starwing6 Rear Admiral

I'm sorry to have to bring this up, but the current template for Antidote Pills is "2 Cobra Leaves + 2 Phoenix Fern Fronds" but the Fern Fronds don't grow on Akua. Both Antidote Pills and Antibiotic Ointment can be crafted on Omicron but neither on Akua. I thought it was fixed so that players on Akua could make Antidote Pills--but then the Phoenix Fern Fronds should be Pixie Stalks + Cobra Leaves instead.

17. Spirit_OK

Spirit_OK Captain

Radiation is not a serious concern on Akua, compared to radioactive fog, and medium armors and showers are plenty on both planets. I don't remember eating even one of them for all my playthroughs. Always thought of such recipes as mild incentives to go explore a bit.

EDIT: Oops, that was Antidote pills, not Antirad. They are really hard to get.

18. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

Is it possible to add config.ecf settings to allow foods with medical properties to be modifed - in tems of modify the ability to cure poison/stomach/radiation amounts individually?

19. Starwing6

Starwing6 Rear Admiral

There is really no good reason to mod something that needs to be fixed in the game for the entire player base, though. ;)

Brimstone and geostar1024 like this.
  20. Brimstone

Brimstone Rear Admiral

Not to disagree... but thankful that at least we can fix it ourselves until they do... ;)

Starwing6 likes this.