API Feedback and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Empyrion API' started by Jascha, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

thanks. Done. We deleted the first threads, that left a dead link ;)
    Thanks for the info

Frigidman likes this.
  2. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

I wondered about this too. As mentioned in the API-Main Thread I was thinking about them contacting me and I create a new thread for them. The idea was to prevent too many "other" none-tool-threads openning.
    Would you rather suggest free threads for all, or only "tool"-threads by request?

3. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I'd suggest keeping it clamped down to only the tools and mods that work/or are serious about. Allowing 3rd party tools as well, since they are kind of mods (tools to help modding). Like the yaml editor, and playfield editor tools.

ButtonPusher likes this.
  4. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I'm against clamped down. Although I appreciate and understand @Frigidman point, the reverse might become most conversations will stay in the existing threads.

If the threading is open, new mods can establish themselves. If they become popular, they can become pinned.

ButtonPusher likes this.
  5. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

In the interim, perhaps a thread dedicated to discussion of the Game API wiki.

6. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

Please tailor the threads and organize everything as you go guys. The programmers will know exactly where to go and who to communicate with, mod creators will appreciate having everything tidy and easy to find and access, and non-creators (testers, people that want to give feedback etc.) will be able to nav easily to where they want to speak and be heard. Many of them simply don't know where to go and end up in the wrong place asking the wrong questions to the wrong people ... if you follow what i mean there :/

anyways, solid work so far, keep it up! \o/

7. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

True. I just know if its too open, there will be lots of new threads for lots of useless garbage. Sadly pinning all the good ones, makes the first page limited hmm.

I just like how clean some of the sub forums are because they have specific threads for specific things.

8. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Maybe we need two separate forums. One for just API discussion and another for Modders to post their creations and support them.

ButtonPusher likes this.
  9. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Hm.

Yeah, I see what you mean. There I guess needs to be one general modding forum for every tom dick and hairy mod thread to be posted... as just forcing them into a single 'mega thread', will make it a nightmare to locate and discuss specific mods on.

Keeping the main modding forum like we have, with controlled discussion threads... then add a second forum for what people come up with.

Modding - API Discussion (specific threads like now)
    Modding - Mods Sharing (open posting, no pins)

Or a new subsection of "Modding" with forums under it, if this gets bigger and more demand for more sections.

10. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Or actually re-purpose "The Hangar Bay" to "Modding - Hangar Bay" ...

11. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Add a subthread in Hangar Bay called "Server Mods"?

12. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Wouldn't that be the same problem of all mods get put into one giant thread?

13. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

It would, but the API discussion forum would not be filled with all the developed mods.

14. Stinefelt

Stinefelt Ensign

Keep them open and easy to post in, and keep the API Discussion separated from the developed mods to avoid confusion.

ButtonPusher and joemorin73 like this.
  15. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

Thanks for all your suggestions.
    We will talk/think abou it.

Our idea was to keep it clean and list all API-Tools in a nice way. Easy to find and work with. But I see also the need for open discussions.
    I will check if we can make a sub-forum with open threads. That might be the best of both worlds.
    All mods could then be moved to the "Modding" area.

About the other Tools like Playfield Generators.... hm dont want to disolve the Hangar bay :| and move everything over here.
    But I see the point that it would also fit in here...

ButtonPusher likes this.
  16. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I think there is a definite need for the two separate forums. One for discussion and development of the current GameAPI/future modding ability and the results of those abilities to be released to the general users.

17. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

Done. Will change the API topic too.

This "Empyrion API" section is now for us developers of tools. You can also start your own topics now.
    All tools should then end up as topic in "the Hangar Bay". If you have a "finished" tool pm me and we pinned it. If to many Tools are pinned, we will create one pinned thread "Available Tools" and list them nicely with an description and link to the topic.

ButtonPusher likes this.
  18. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I've made the Death Messenger Mod available for users in the Hangar Bay. Something for people to play with.

19. illmortem

illmortem Ensign

You mentioned altering game mechanics. Could this API library allow for modification of the docking behavior? For example, allow SVs to dock with other SVs, CVs with CVs, etc?

20. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

No. We can't change that behaviour with this API.