Blink circuit Emergency type condition

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by zaphodikus, Aug 11, 2022.

1. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

It does not seem to be possible to create a slow 5 second interval blinker continuous circuit. I know this was to prevent lagging out and PVP abuse. but I'm trying to get a thing to blink like emergency - which it appears from this old old thread is or was never possible https://empyriononline.com/threads/circuitry-tutorial-simulating-a-red-alert-condition.37103/ I want to cascade 3 lights over a periodic 5 seconds. And because we don't have a hotkey way of triggering a circuit, there is no way to do this without having a player join my game, pretty sure I'm missing something here.

Is there anyone who knows how to? I been reading the circuits tutorial, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1582268911 and it does not seem to cover how to mimic an oscillator anywhere either.

2. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Instead on relying on flaky circuits that ignore simple detection and triggers half of the time, why not use decals for this (small animation loop) ? You can even have sound, and use emissive textures at a fraction of the cost of real lights, so you could put many instances of the same "blinking texture" all over the place and use the control block only once to trigger the "alarm" animation...

3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Lights can already be configured with an up to 5 second blink interval.

If you want the interval to be longer than 5 seconds then you'll either have to use signal logic looping (which is, unreliable at best) or make a custom block for your scenario (or a decal like Kassonnade mentioned if it's for a POI).

4. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

I went with strobe lights in the end. Decals are interesting, but feel like more than 5 minutes of work to me.

I was wanting something that will take literally 5 minutes to create an effect of imminent doom, and I'm going to add a video filter once I can get Corel to get their terrible app to not hate my gameplay recordings.

5. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yeah that's absolutely possible with the existing settings on lights. You can make a red alert alarm of doom easily enough.

6. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

LCD scripts if they were easier to do, would have been my choice, but even that is a stretch.

Someday the game will have more circuit blocks. For now I can see why the devs never added self resetting/astable blocks. The fact that triggering a sound to go with the circuit non-trivial to do, kinda made it pointless to spend too much time on circuiting it up if it's not the complete deal. I've got 3 sound effects, so it's a lot of work. I do hope more triggers get added in the future. Was worth a stab.

7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I'm still confused why you couldn't just use normal lights for the light effects.
    If you need sound effects and it's for a scenario POI you can set the sound effect to loop using decals.

8. zaphodikus

zaphodikus Captain

I'm older than most players here, it takes me ages to learn a new thing. I was modifying an existing large Steam workshop build that I'm not familiar with either (I need to add that in the credits doh! thanks for the reminder.)

It's not something I had ever done before, so the time it would take was adding project risk. I've never built a POI with decals. I could, but I was under the impression it would take 2 or 3 evenings to learn how to. And it's been so hot here that my computer time has been limited lately. I also did not know that you can copy-paste a light's properties when I started. It took me long enough finding which lights I needed to group up :) We do need more updated tutorials.

It would all be too much work for the 100 seconds of video I published on the weekend. The link is someplace on the Steam forums. I know, but I did learn a few things in this. I'll be adding notes in my workshop, because I'm likely to forget too.

9. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

The blinking lights in your video can all be set up in the control panel of each light and wouldn't take very long at all.