Blocks and Devices wish list

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Siege Inc., May 27, 2017.

1. Razorwire

Razorwire Captain

Add these two things, and watch a bunch of folk leave. Including me.

RNG is bobbins, especially for tech tree progression. I already find it frustrating that I can't build heavy armour, and I have to hope on some dice roll that I can't influence.

2. shargett2

shargett2 Commander

As for heavy armor, I agree. I think we should be able to build all armors, and more :).

"Add these two things, and watch a bunch of folk leave. Including me." ???? Why? I must admit here that I am baffled. Do you want a game with no surprises, no exploration, and no advancement? What's the point?
    Some PVP'rs, may prefer to spawn into a new game with 2 stacks of all resources and a ready CV in the factory, but that is like running in creative mode. I don't care for PVP myself, so that may explain why I don't understand.

"I have to hope on some dice roll that I can't influence." I assume you are referring to drop tables here. I would not use a drop table for the tech requirements, or if I did, it would be an automatic drop should certain requirements be met.

I think there is room for a lot of depth. For the PVE side of the house, the game is quite anemic, and these additions would add a lot to gameplay.

Not really sure what "RNG is bobbins" means, but I assume it means that you don't like it. :)

I have seen different styles of play in Empyrion, and a number of other games:

Hardcore PVP players only play to kill other players. It is the moment of battle they play for They do not really enjoy other aspects of the game, especially the domestic duties.
    Casual PVP players like PVP and do so when they feel like it, or are invited to duel, but enjoy both PVP and PVE aspects
    Neutral players do a little of both PVP and PVE, but typically don't pick fights
    Casual PVE players enjoy the PVE part of the game over PVP, but will fight if they need to.
    Hardcore PVE players don't care for PVP, and avoid it if possible. They prefer the adventure and the journey. They like to strive against the elements and server.

It would be impossible to programmatically cater to all play styles specifically in a single game mode.

Perhaps the ability to toggle tech and leveling off, and to implement a basic or advanced construction mode would do the trick. That way a server could do away with progression for the PVP enthusiast, run a setup that is very immersive for the PVE enthusiast, or something in between for a balance.

Well I think I hear that my CV is ready. see yall out there.

3. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

I'm like this 'til something shoots my ride up. Then I'll be on you like a deranged weasel in your shirt until you Never Bother me Again.

I'm not a Care Bear... I'm a rabid puma that likes to be left alone.

Razorwire likes this.
  4. Razorwire

Razorwire Captain

I was going to go point for point in my reply, @shargett2, but that looks like it'll get disjointed quickly :D

Easy ones first:
    I don't PVP in Empyrion. It's not very good at it, and there are better games for my PVP fix. I mostly group-PVE.
    Bobbins = just politer way of saying bullshit. So yeah, I don't like it :D

More meaty points:
    Why would I leave? Do I not enjoy surprises, advancement and exploration?
    I'm happy with drop-tables, unexplored planets and experience-driven tech trees, even procedural worlds. But, while I'll happily do advancement via tech-tree and logistical throttles (like requiring an advanced constructor, or a particular level, for example), that advancement must on my terms in a sandbox game. I should be able to gather the xp any way I want to, and the logistical throttles can be on a ship, a small base, a fortress, in a taken-over POI... My choice.

So if, as you propose, I'd have to go into a particular POI and loot a particular crate/loot-drop/boss... That gets to me. In my regular group, there's one guy who'd be in there and grab the stuff well before the curve, and others who'd be totally stuck without help (because they suck at POI raiding). How do you balance for groups? Is the tech in the same POI? Does the POI get harder with more people, or does my little fire-team have a massive advantage over that poor solo dude? Are there multiple copies of the tech drop, or does my group now have to run it several times? If we clear the POI, what does the next player do to get the tech?

I think that advancement should be predictable, and available to every playstyle, which locking certain tech behind a POI raid does not cater to. As I said before, being forced to raid or trade for certain items already bugs me. I can build warp-capable starships, in minutes, using the kilotons of material stuffed in my tech-magic pockets, but I can't make a rifle upgrade or a set of heavy armour...

My distaste for RNG drop tables comes from the same thinking.
    So add everything to the tech tree. Make them end-game level, and require Zasc and Eres, if you want. Make it as hard as you like, but stop making me roll the dice over and over to get the stuff I want.
    If you want loot surprises, add the rare stuff into the loot tables, by all means, but please don't make it the only way to get the thing.

shargett2 and Hicks42 like this.
  5. shargett2

shargett2 Commander

Nice reply. I like the civil side of discourse. :D
    I think I am understanding your point better. And point taken. I can see where being the victim of a loot %^%$# would be an issue. I happen to be one of those guys who usually go solo.

As far as needing to open a particular box or specific POI, I am not a fan of that either. The chance of a glitch removing or not providing it is too high. My point on that score was that there is little benefit of hitting most POIs. I have made it a point to hit them a lot to see the variation of loot gained, and most are not worth the time, except for the steel and hardened steel plates you can get. My thought was somewhere along the lines of a real benefit you and your gameplay. Perhaps better loot is the only answer, but I wish it could be more

I really am not sure how to handle groups. Personal containers are all well and fine, but we get back to the need to open a specific container, that may or may not still be there. Maybe an achievement (ie. you have destroyed a minigun drone), but then as you pointed out, how is that measured (did you participate, or get the killing blow)?

I agree that advancement should be predictable, and available to all playstyles, and perhaps a never ending progression. I hashed two ideas into one, and should not have, or should have done a better job of it. My point of the statement was to create more depth, and as I said before better incentive to go after POIs. Of course the issue as you mentioned exists that POIs are not created randomly throughout the game, and though they can regenerate, that regeneration can be stopped by removing all blocks from the POI.

I like the idea of basic appropriate loot, with the possibility of some enhanced loot that you don't expect, even it is just a ore or two and maybe some sath zasc or eres. But that was not the surprise I was talking about. Surprises like a drone wave attack on a base, or new alien base spawns, with whatever they may bring. It does not have to be a major catastrophe, but something not expected, and maybe with rewards :)

Looky there I argued with my own points a bit o_O

The whole point was to suggest ideas to provide an in-depth game for all players including the hardcore PVE'rs, which for the most part is left out of most games. the scenarios try to address the lack, but they are SP only.

Now it is time to Empyrion on !:D

6. Ivo Shandor

Ivo Shandor Commander

I have to agree with Razorwire that predictable tech discover is best simply because I had a game where I never found heavy armor. Let us make all armor and armor mods but require whacked out ingredients, like hundreds or thousands of plastic material. But I like a bit a random as well, give me the base item please and let me find, raid or buy enhancements! Let my mining turn up an armor or weapon upgrade that allows me to choose what it augments. For armor say better base armor rating or more O2, for weapons increase any of the status (but only one) perhaps slightly ding another. Allow only so many augments to your builds before the become unstable, this way Hicks will want to buy my plasma cannon that only has 1 round but can shoot 600 meters! Or Razorwire could buy my heavy armor that makes you a turtle speed tank. This way we get the base items, can make them as needed, can change them as our game progresses and can share our special brand with others.

7. Ivo Shandor

Ivo Shandor Commander

Blocks I want by the way:
    I keep thinking about thrusters that can be pointed multiple directions and just see a benefit in the game so several reasons. I will provide a quick list why they would be and benefit the game overall from most to least important:
    1. Device count on all craft would be reduced helping game performance
    2. Would make the arcade style flying we have now more like a hybrid of arcade and actual simulation.
    3. Fuel consumption reduction, this may again help game performance
    4. When we can no longer hide thrusters designs will not suffer as much
    5. How cool would it be in 3rd person view so see the huge engines on your CV do THIS!
    6. Or THIS!
    7. or THIS!!

8. michaelhartman89

michaelhartman89 Rear Admiral

The one mechanic I want more than anything isn't any particular block, but a new mechanic. I wish we could have a scaling feature to create curves and large shapes. Perhaps it could utilize a similar feature to dual universe and planet explorers and work like the voxel terrain where it could be easily deformed by enemy fire and explosions.

Imagine being able to simply stretch, mold and shape designs like you are messing around in a 3d modeler program using a scaling mechanic in game. No more blocky shapes and rough edges, and we could create some really crazy designs. If it's reasonable, then this would be the ultimate prize for builders.

One last thing, how hard would it be to be able to permanently stash cut/copy items to the clipboard

Agent0024 likes this.
  9. leo1954au

leo1954au Commander

Not sure if this has been suggested before but it would be great if we had the ability to resize the blocks so you could stretch or shrink the block sizes

10. Sir Winston

Sir Winston Lieutenant

I'd like to see something done with constructors. I think most of you have seen my thread in General Discussions; Constructor Luv

I'd also like to see some sort of ore detector for HVs be it an upgrade to the turret, or a new module or whatever, It'd be handy to have detection ability with adding drill modules in place of guns on an HV.

11. Nahtalus

Nahtalus Lieutenant

I would like a 2x2 circular door block. I often make glass transit tubes between the different buildings on my base and a circular door that rolled open would be neat. Maybe a 2x4 so the door had a place to rest when open...

Attached Files:

Siege Inc. likes this.
  12. Ulrich Proeller

Ulrich Proeller Ensign

After trying to add some switches and logic to my CV, there are some proposals from me:

Add a secondary color to signal lights

• No power: Signal light is dark
    • Logic input signal is on: Primary color is shown
    • Logic input signal is off: Secondary color is shown (or dark, if no secondary color is set)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add a "Switch Group" as optional property to stateful switches.
    All switches with the same "Switch Group" name would have the same state (on/off). When a switch of a switch group changes its state from off to on, all others in the same group also change their state from off to on and vice versa.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add a new "Switchboard" element
    A new element which would be a combination of

1. Signal light
    2. Small text label
    3. Switch
    All parts could be configured in the same way, as the corresponding elements are now configured. You would then only need one block where you need three blocks now.

Enable TV-Screens to show content:
    A TV screen could play a video (and audio) loop.
    You could even allow to enter the URL of a video feed, and that feed is shown live. (Don't know what this would require CPU/GPU resources).

Agent0024 likes this.
  13. Agent0024

Agent0024 Commander

I'm happy to see the redesigned engine blocks that are coming in 8.0. I am hopeful that we'll see one of 2 things in addition to these. One being either more diversely shaped exhaust nozzles, squares, ovals, etc. Or perhaps the second and better option would be a more versatile set of blocks that we use to house the engines and design our own nozzles. Presently it is very difficult to build around the round engines with square blocks, sometimes downright impossible. Or in some cases you could end up with nacelles that are twice as big as your hull. Here are some screens of designs that would be great to see possible in game. I make this statement from the standpoint that I don't want to bury engines behind walls of blocks, I believe they should be properly exhausted externally and that should be a requirement. I also would like the capability somehow to protect them, so possibly a special "exhaust" block that still allows some form of shielding but still vents gasses in theory. Having a true shield system would help that a great deal as well. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neal and geostar1024 like this.
  14. Skyknight Beoulve

Skyknight Beoulve Lieutenant

I wish we could get mechanical joints to animate arms and stuff, also rails like those in minecraft :3

Neal likes this.
  15. Tryst

Tryst Captain

I have always wanted a circular door that irises open, similar to the way a camera shutter works.

Neal likes this.
  16. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Captain

I would like to have wider bay doors. Currently, if you try to put two of the larger bay doors together you almost get a square. I would like to have a bottom door and top door that touch that can give me something like 8x20 or whatever rectangular dimensions.

Neal likes this.
  17. cLAy_piGeon

cLAy_piGeon Lieutenant

I want to be aboul to manufacture the starting equipment . Especially , the air tank maker.

I would like to see strobe lights in future blocks.

I would like to have hinged blocks , with powered operation.

Thanks!

18. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Captain

You could build a circuit with different timers and a reset and attach the lights to it. I haven't built one, but it looks possible.

19. cLAy_piGeon

cLAy_piGeon Lieutenant

need to fix in regular constuctor CV basic engine . can not make componentsfor engine but supposedly can make .

Sephrajin likes this.
  20. cLAy_piGeon

cLAy_piGeon Lieutenant

in sv cant make constructor for sv because you cant manufacture component but can make sv constructor

Sephrajin likes this.