Blocks and Devices wish list

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Siege Inc., May 27, 2017.

1. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

I don't see the problem.
    The manipulator arm isn't the harvester, which destroys things. The manipulator arm acts like the player's "F" button instead of a ship-mounted chainsaw.
    If the harvester could collect pentaxid crystals, it would do so by destroying the crystals, preventing farming.

2. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

A manipulator arm sounds like slightly different performance characteristics of a drone. For instance, it might be slightly slower but more precise.

An alternative to a manipulator arm might be a vehicle drone. That is, it acts just like the player drone, but you need to have a block installed on the vehicle that represents its hanger.

Spirit_OK likes this.
  3. Sephrajin

Sephrajin Rear Admiral

I would not mind if they'd work like personal boxes (those 3 row spints) via yaml.

However, dont know if this is possible, but alternativly, it would be cool if one could:
    Questmode: Player <has killed> <mob X> in <structure Y> && \
    Questmode: Player <is near > <mob X> <showdialog: "You have found a note: 1337">

Of course, it would be even cooler if they would actualy add keys, doom'ed memories :p

binhthuy71 likes this.
  4. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Rear Admiral

Yes! Without the ability to attach simple scripts, including written dialog, to a specific NPC the quests we can create must be simple ones. Lua could be used as a runtime interpreter for user scripting but it would be foolish to implement it at this stage. It would be good to hear from Eleon whether mod support is on the horizon though.

Sephrajin likes this.
  5. James Grayson

James Grayson Lieutenant

I'd like to be able to harvest plants with the harvester - and do it with out killing them.

Although, it's probably shouldn't be all plants since harvesting some plants (honey) combine style doesn't make sense.

It feels like the harvester is just really under used even with the need for nitrocellulose. Further, hand picking big farms is a real pain

--

I'd also like like a telescope for vehicle weapons. Perhaps even for actively managed turrets too.

--

Signal logic seems incomplete. The inputs and outputs are extremely limited. I understand how too much ability with signal logic could be easy to abused, and that's probably why its so limited.

However in it's present state it seems too weak.

It would be great to have a sensor for the various environmental conditions available on the HUD. I.e Gravity, temp, radiation, weather, time to sunset/sunrise, minutes of fuel left etc

Since bases and vehicles obviously have the ability to determine range and bearing of NPCs and players within turret range it would be niceto have this data from a sensor too.

It would be nice to be able to activate turrets only when an enemy is really close, only shoot alien NPCs that have a bearing above ground level ( flying) or turn off a furnace when fuel is at 20% of maximum capacity.

It would also be just super If I could program a combinational logic circuit that kept my rocket turrets from shooting at night raptors or alien assasins who are currently within 3 meeters of myself or faction mates.

I've died more to my own rockets than sneaky raptors.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Spirit_OK likes this.
  6. RedBaron97

RedBaron97 Commander

Not sure if that was sugested already, but I would love to see something like a core detector, that would work a bit like a ore detector, in that it would highlight cores, making it easier to find it. It's realy annoying trying to find the core of a strucure!

Spirit_OK likes this.
  7. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Technically you can zoom in with the scroll wheel when controlling a turret. It's a bit awkward, and the positioning resolution doesn't increase when you do this, though (resulting in discrete aiming locations at high zoom rather than smooth motion).

Making signals integers rather than booleans (as in Factorio's signals system) would introduce quite a bit more flexibility. More inputs and outputs (especially for use with the upcoming logistics system) would be very welcome, too.

8. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Heavy Turrets (TU)
    Player-buildable turrets have been suggested for a long time. The problem with those is that they're all SE-style turrets that involve multiple rotors and a new method of controlling them that doesn't mesh with what we have in-game. It's simply too much work for the devs to implement an entirely new system following the methods of another game.
    This iteration is simpler:
    Turrets become a new class of "ship" alongside BA, CV, SV and HV. Rather than being built from a TU Core they start with a Turret base that can only be placed against an armor block that's part of a Base or CV. It locks in place using the same method HV/SV landing gears do, allowing it to be moved by a CV and even warped with, without requiring a huge amount of new code.
    Just like HV/SV the Turret class uses most of the same block selection (with a few extra CV-class weapons), restricting them to the same Steel Block and Hardened Steel Block armor (making them softer targets, but packing stronger and more versatile weaponry).

• Turrets require an ammo box as they're a seperate ship from their attached CV/BA, and because ya know, it makes sense.
    • Targeting Camera (1x1x1) is required for both AI and player control. It also indicates which way is the front. While the player controls the turret, their view is from this point (same interface as a standard turret).
    • Power is not required to operate a turret. However, they will not function with the turret AI without a powered CV/BA.
    • If the Turret Base block (3x3x3 SV-sized blocks) is destroyed, the entire turret is destroyed.
    • The Turret Base functions like a core as well as the controller for normal turret AI. It is also the pivot point for the upper part of the turret. Able to rotate on this point 360 degrees as long as it's not obstructed (It's still a type of ship, and like any SV/HV will collide with objects). The turret can also tilt on the base up to 45 degrees.
    • Turret rotation and tilt speed is determined by the mass of the turret. It is not adjustable. The bigger the gun(s) you stick on it and the more armor you put on it, the slower it will turn.

Tl;dr
    The turret class "ship" is like a permanently-docked SV that can pivot on it's "landing gear" and is controlled by the normal turret AI.
    Here's an example image:
    [​IMG]
    There should probably be a weapon cap so you don't get that ^ many rockets flying your way.

Spirit_OK and Germanicus like this.
  9. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I've always liked the way StarMade handles turret construction, which I guess is more in the SE style than your suggestion. I'm assuming that since there aren't discrete barrels that change elevation, the entire turret has to tilt, meaning there would need to be clearance between the turret's attachment point and the ship?

Also, I feel like it would make sense for the turret (all turrets, in fact) to only be able move very slowly) when not powered but controlled by a player. More specifically, there'd be a low torque available when unpowered (as if the player is turning a wheel connected to a physical gearing system, perhaps), and a standard torque dependent on the size of the turret base, which could be further enhanced by placing RCS devices (that actually consumed nontrivial power when in operation) in the turret. So, one could trade power consumption for agility just as in a normal ship. Different turret base sizes could allow for an effective mass limit when under acceleration (too much mass would result in periodic damage to the turret base when under enough acceleration).

Weapon limits ideally would be handled by referencing the parent ship, just as should happen for any other docked entity.

10. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

Hopefully its not too late for Alpha 9!

11. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Escape Pod Module (CV: 2x1x1)
    The pilot and/or passengers in a CV can use shift + enter to enter an escape pod. The pod block on the ship is destroyed and spawns an escape pod that automatically orients itself with the center of the playfield (typically a planet) and propels itself there at 120m/s. The pod will not be targeted by turrets, but can still be destroyed easily by stray shots, fixed weapons or impacts with other ships or asteroids.
    Upon entering a planetary playfield the escape pod functions like the normal starting escape pod. Upon exiting the pod, it will despawn like any dead entity. It does not contain any equipment.

Spirit_OK and geostar1024 like this.
  12. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

It'd be nice to be able to deconstruct it after exiting it.

13. Vermillion

Vermillion Rear Admiral

Only if I can deconstruct other dead entities like those big mofo dinosaurs for their "components". I'd really like 4 metric tonnes of meat instead of 2 tiny steaks.

geostar1024 likes this.
  14. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Haha, a nice idea....besides...after eating the metric tonnes of meat you earn the Title "Floating Fat Man":D

15. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I have seen a number of CV's in the workshop with custom landing gear built from blocks, which means there are hull blocks touching the ground when it lands.

Suggestion, add the HV's docking pads to the CV's landing gear.
    That way the CV can land W/O the hull blocks touching the ground and the thin profile of the docking pads will not ruin the look of the builders custom landing gear.

Spirit_OK and ion_storm like this.
  16. LurchUSA

LurchUSA Lieutenant

SV = Allow T2 Drills and direct fire mount, non-turret multi-tools.
    HV = Double the number of turrets, Gatling guns, so that HV's aren't TOTALLY useless with SV's now taking over their mining/multi-tool repair roles in game.

17. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Captain

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread yet but I'll post it anyways since it was something that came up in a recent build of mine.

Using two hanger doors end to end to make a larger hanger door is pretty standard fair but I'd like to see that as a single device option to cover odd number square block sizes. Honestly its frustrating the amount of times I've had to redo or discard design ideas for whole sections of a base because doors, turrets etc would be off centre and look odd.

Also a much wider variety of ramp and shutter sizes would be nice but at the very least I would like to see a 1 block wide version of every shutter height and the same for ramps covering all the different height lengh combinations that are currently available.

Spirit_OK and ion_storm like this.
  18. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Rear Admiral

I'd like the landing gear to be fully retractable same as the retractable turrets.

ion_storm and Sasquatch like this.
  19. SifVerT

SifVerT Commander

Hello,

Players on my dedicated server have been found to exploit the high health pool of wing blocks and that you can add any amount of them. They use this to create very durable SVs with layer after layer of wings to soak up hits.

Now I did counteract this by editing the config.ecf to both lower the HP and give a max amount to wing blocks, but I find that this is imbalanced. I can thus edit around the issue, but thought it was worth notifying you about this exploit.

One pair of wings have a hefty 960 HP and that's much for something easy to make. It's more than armor of the same size I think, the most expensive one and this has little weight.

20. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

I'm very early into a game and I find myself wanting a Wooden Door and a Wooden Garage Door for a starter HV.

Siege Inc. and Spirit_OK like this.